PDA

View Full Version : Interesting sight on SSR

Shawnlh
09-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Was out on the SSR around the Hat a few days ago, catching a few Goldeye, Walleye, Sauger, no Sturg :(. Heard some commotion about 10 meters away, turned to look, and something was chasing the goldeye around about 8ft. from shore, maybe 3-4ft. of water. I could see the goldeye jumping and trying to flee, it was quite an event, unfortunately I didn't see exactly what was chasing them, but I did get a very good glimpse of it's back. The dorsal was about the size of my hand, and it's back was easy 5 inches across and fairly flat. I saw about 15-18 inches of it's back with no sign of head or tail. I'm guessing from the flatness of it's back, the feeding tactics it used, it was probably a monster pike. I didn't have time to get a pic or vid off.
From the description, what do you guys think it was?

AdamJ
09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
pikezilla

WayneChristie
09-27-2012, 08:42 PM
snakehead definitely :bad_boys_20: last weekend the forks was loaded with pike, saw an 18 1/2 pounder come out down the beach and caught 3 myself.

EZM
09-27-2012, 09:20 PM
As soon as you said dorsal, I ruled out a pike. The dorsal on a pike is far back and ussually not very big. A dorsal that size on a pike would belong to a monster.

Maybe all those bull sharks making thier way up freshwater rivers finally made it up all the way here ..... lol.

Maybe a monster walleye - I bet a 16lb walleye's dorsal would be bigger than a 30lb pike's.

Either way, sounds like a big fish.

pelada trochu
09-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Walleye dont hunt to much in day and not very flat back. Lucky you. Bet your blood got pumping.

EZM
09-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Walleye dont hunt to much in day and not very flat back. Lucky you. Bet your blood got pumping.

You are right about a walleye not typically having a flat back, but I'd say walleye are opportunistice feeders. I have them bite my hook during the day all the time !!!!

I recently caught a really nice walleye trolling a huge crank at high noon ..... pretty surprised actually.

safcforever
09-27-2012, 10:19 PM
You are right about a walleye not typically having a flat back, but I'd say walleye are opportunistice feeders. I have them bite my hook during the day all the time !!!!

I recently caught a really nice walleye trolling a huge crank at high noon ..... pretty surprised actually.

Just before I caught my first walleye there was a huge amount of bubbles where my line was. Then my rod went mental, I don't know what the walleye disturbed but it must have been a lucky cast. It weighed in at 12lb from the bow