PDA

View Full Version : Lower "K" lake

Nakoda boater
09-28-2012, 05:03 AM
Anyone been up there lately? Was thinking of giving it a try by boat on Sunday.

Thanks.. :)

goldscud
09-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Mature Bulls gone to spawn so they won't be around

BeeGuy
09-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Mature Bulls don't spawn every year, so there should still be a few hundred decent sized ones cruising around.

Nakoda boater
09-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Has anybody been there lately or is it normally high this time of year?

BeeGuy
09-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Haven't been there recently, but it should be full this time of year.

goldscud
09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
You're right BeeGuy...I guess there will just be far fewer available for angling. I wonder what the percentage is for fish that skip years? Seems like it is not sex specific but more of an individual condition factor decision.

Nakoda boater
09-28-2012, 07:54 AM
What can ine expect to catch in regards to size?

Thanks for your replies!

BeeGuy
09-28-2012, 08:20 AM
You're right BeeGuy...I guess there will just be far fewer available for angling. I wonder what the percentage is for fish that skip years? Seems like it is not sex specific but more of an individual condition factor decision.

Good question.

Given the limited spawning habitat availability, I would be surprised if there were more than a couple hundred fish spawning in a season.

If that is the case, the majority of fish would remain in the lake.

I think there is a document kicking around somewhere that may provide some data.

Nakoda- The vast majority of Bull Trout will be in the 2-7lb range with the odd one smaller and the odd one bigger.

Cutties and Bows will go as much as 4lb with a typical fish in the 1-2lb range.

Nakoda boater
09-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Why thank you Bee, I'm looking forward to this trip.

BeeGuy
09-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Why thank you Bee, I'm looking forward to this trip.

I've found it to be hit and miss.

Enjoy the scenery ;)

Best of luck

RockHammer&Rod
09-28-2012, 09:14 AM
I've found it to be hit and miss.

Enjoy the scenery ;)

Best of luck

Yeah, I had a miss about 3 weeks ago... didn't even see a single fish off shore or rise!

Sundancefisher
09-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Good question.

Given the limited spawning habitat availability, I would be surprised if there were more than a couple hundred fish spawning in a season.

If that is the case, the majority of fish would remain in the lake.

I think there is a document kicking around somewhere that may provide some data.

Nakoda- The vast majority of Bull Trout will be in the 2-7lb range with the odd one smaller and the odd one bigger.

Cutties and Bows will go as much as 4lb with a typical fish in the 1-2lb range.

http://classes.uleth.ca/200901/biol4500a/Readings/Stelfox1.pdf

when we first studied it there was no alternate year spawning. I do recall later that there was some. I also know that some try to spawn elsewhere and may not be captured in the data. Also no study has shown if they still migrate and don't travel up river.

If anyone catches a monster right now...let us know. That would be indicative. I agree with monger that likely their ability to spawn yearly versus alternate years may be affected by food availabilty which impact condition factors.