PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing 2 Stroke?

trapshooter
09-28-2012, 06:03 PM
I just got a evinrude 2 stroke this past spring and now that winter is here I am not sure whether their is anything I have to do to winterize it or anything. I am planning on flushing it through with water but is there anything else I should do?

harrydude
09-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I know this is overkill but I run stablized gas through mine and run it dry of fuel .. then drain the carb
I also take the lid off and blow it out
Pull the plugs and put fogging spray in it

And I check the impeller ever spring

hal53
09-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I know this is overkill but I run stablized gas through mine and run it dry of fuel .. then drain the carb
I also take the lid off and blow it out
Pull the plugs and put fogging spray in it

And I check the impeller ever spring
fogging spray??
also, heard many different stories about how to drain the water ...any hard facts??
this is the first year I have a boat that won't be in heated storage:scared:

lifesaflyin
09-28-2012, 06:34 PM
my 1978 johnson never had any maintence yet not even a carb job, still has the origional plugs even though it could use some as the electrode is pretty much worn off now. only thing done to it is run it out of gas and hang it up. it even sat for 10 years outside with nothing done to it. still runs like a top.:)

Justanotherbuck2
09-28-2012, 06:49 PM
2 strokes are easy, put some fuel stabilizer in your tank, put ear muffs on the water intake and pull some RV anti freeze through it, done in less than 10 minutes and 10 bucks, my Johnson 9.9 has never had more than this in 25 years and it starts first or second pull every time and runs like a clock.

hal53
09-28-2012, 06:50 PM
2 strokes are easy, put some fuel stabilizer in your tank, put ear muffs on the water intake and pull some RV anti freeze through it, done in less than 10 minutes and 10 bucks, my Johnson 9.9 has never had more than this in 25 years and it starts first or second pull every time and runs like a clock.
hmmm...anything different then for 4 strokes???

Mmtobias
09-28-2012, 09:35 PM
I also run some stabalized fuel through mine. I use fogging spray or a tsp of motor oil down the spark plug tubes, reinstall plugs and wires and crank over with the kill switch on so spread the oil in the cylinder. I store my motor in my basement so i dont worry about the water.

Rick.
09-28-2012, 10:35 PM
You don't say what motor you have which could make a difference. I'm surprised no one has mentioned draining and re-filling the gear case yet. If you have water in the gear case it will freeze and possibly crack the housing. That is assuming your storing it in an unheated space. At the very least you should crack the lower drain plug (not the phillips screw) and see if any water comes out. If the oil is milky you have water contamination which is often caused by a leaky vent or drain washer. I've seen several split gear cases so it's well worth checking. I also drain the carb(s) and pull the plugs and fog the cylinders. Rick.

deanmc
09-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Agree about the gas stabilizer. Fogging spray is more for engines breathing salty air but it wont hurt.

BobM
09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Don't worry about draining the water out of the motor as long as you leave in the upright position it will drain itself, just drain the carb and gas tank fuel stabilizer is a good idea and change oil in the gear case. I run fuel stabilizer in all my fuel whether it's for the lawnmower or the OB, a shot of oil in the cylinders won't hurt either.

Geezle
09-29-2012, 08:53 AM
I just got a evinrude 2 stroke this past spring and now that winter is here I am not sure whether their is anything I have to do to winterize it or anything. I am planning on flushing it through with water but is there anything else I should do?

Winter is sooooooo not here yet...lots of fishing time left yet! :D

Ebrand
09-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't worry about draining the water out of the motor as long as you leave in the upright position it will drain itself, just drain the carb and gas tank fuel stabilizer is a good idea and change oil in the gear case. I run fuel stabilizer in all my fuel whether it's for the lawnmower or the OB, a shot of oil in the cylinders won't hurt either.

Covers it completely.

Bowfloat
09-29-2012, 09:00 AM
My 2 cents

The motor must have ear muffs on or in a barrel when doing this.

I hook up the gas line & start the motor, once motor is running unhook your gas line. Allow the motor to stay running (idle) as soon as it starts to cough choke it out or turn key off. ( In essince you are using the oil in the fuel to fog the whole system from carb to exhaust. Gas evaporates and the oil is left)

Drain carb and your "Done"

Hang in upright position. Any water in it will drain out by itself.

This is also a good time to pull the plug on the bottom end. Let drain for a day reinstall the plug & refill it.

I like to pull the spark plug out to clean it but before I reinstall it I put some anti lock on the thread.

When it comes to using it next year you just hook up your gas line, prime it and it will start like it you used it yesterday.

Putting a stabilizer into your tank to winterize your motor is a waist of time and money, put what's left of your fuel into your daily driver. Get new gas next year.

Mayhem
09-29-2012, 07:40 PM
How about just following the owner's manual? Fogging spray is designed for carb units, run the engine and spray into the intake until the engine dies, effectively coating the internal. For a fuel injected 4 stroke, I use engine storage spray, a shot in each cylinder. The mist coats evenly, no need to turn the motor over and no blue smoke in the spring.

Mayhem
09-29-2012, 08:22 PM
I just looked at the can of storage spray, it can be used in the same manor as fogging oil, through the intake or into the cylinder.

Artist
09-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Back to an earlier question, what about 4 strokes? Specifically, a Honda 90hp 4 stroke? First year with the [new to me] outboard. Any suggestions? The engine was fully serviced this past summer, and since then, I doubt I have more than 3 hrs on it. :thinking-006:

Mayhem
09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Back to an earlier question, what about 4 strokes? Specifically, a Honda 90hp 4 stroke? First year with the [new to me] outboard. Any suggestions? The engine was fully serviced this past summer, and since then, I doubt I have more than 3 hrs on it. :thinking-006:

Check owner's manual for specifics to your engine. I have a 90hp Merc, change crankcase (filter too)and gearcase oils, I use Stabil in the fuel throughout the season and try to run the tank down near the end. Shot of storage spray in each cylinder and lubricate any grease fittings/pivot points. Remove batteries and store them indoors.

Justanotherbuck2
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
i also have a yamaha four stroke and do no more with it then my johnson 2 stroke, the smaller outboards drain themselfs if left in the leg down position I store mine leg down on a saw horse in the shop, but the bigger yamaha stays on the boat covered outside. no issues with it in the eight years I had it.

Donkey Slayer
09-30-2012, 08:54 AM
for the fuel stabilizer, I use the stuff for methanol gas. From what i have read, methanol is really hard on the old rubber hoses. I run the engine dry with this stabilizer. Actually, all the gas on my boat, ATV, weed eater & chainsaw I add it, not just for storage.

cranky
09-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Check owner's manual for specifics to your engine. I have a 90hp Merc, change crankcase (filter too)and gearcase oils, I use Stabil in the fuel throughout the season and try to run the tank down near the end. Shot of storage spray in each cylinder and lubricate any grease fittings/pivot points. Remove batteries and store them indoors.

I was always taught to leave the tank full right to the top with stabilizer added. Leaving it less than full can cause rusting and scaling from condensation etc.

Mayhem
09-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I was always taught to leave the tank full right to the top with stabilizer added. Leaving it less than full can cause rusting and scaling from condensation etc.

I think this one of those cases of personal preference, I've always done it this way and no probs. Most tanks are plastic now anyways so less chance of the issues you mentioned.

Bowfloat
09-30-2012, 11:16 AM
I have to question why anyone would spend good money on an additive to allow the storage of fuel whether it be 2 stoke or 4 stroke motors.

Why not just use up the fuel (throw it into the daily driver) and buy new next season.

If it is an inboard tank it makes sense but if it is a portable tank why it can easily be drained and used.

As for using a fuel stabilizer for fogging a system again why not just buy proper fogging oil.