PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Day yesterday on FTR!

slivers86
09-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Well, promised a buddy at work the other day I'd take him out fishing, and I definitely delivered. Left the city at about 06:00 arriving at indian graves + FTR around 08:00 or so. Crawled up the road to a couple favorite creeks for some morning brookies as the sun rose. Caught an alltime record smallest brookie of 5". Decided as I see the surface action pick up 'why waste my time on these little guys' packed up and headed south.

If you were out there, you know as well it was a great day. Sun was beating down, bugs everywhere, and in the afternoon the fish were hitting!

My buddy, oddly enough, used his beginners luck up early. He landed his first fish ever - a nice 12" cutty. Following that, I landed my first RMW which was a nice treat for me! We than went to explore the upper reaches of a stream I had been skunked in every time I headed out. Drove probably 15-20 km further west, and began casting into crystal clear water, which was untouched like glass.

It ended up being a 'first cast' game. Many nice sized cutties came out of there, and I didn't even see a footprint in the mud 10 feet from the road!

On the way home, after breaking my leader :argue2: decided to whip out the shimano and mess about while my buddy tried to catch a couple more - little did I know my first hog rainbow lied waiting in the depths. Ya see, I wasn't expecting to catch anything in 'the windy gap' but on my second cast (broke all the rules of the day) something heavy hammered it and started running line. Took me a solid 5-10 minutes to bring this fish in, as I didn't have my net handy and didn't want it flopping around. Laid her down on the rocks for a quick 20 second photo shoot, gave a hearty revive and back into the crystal clear water it bolted. No question in my mind this is the nicest fish I've ever caught, only downfall - fly rod was in the car :mad0030:

PS - saw a nice looking bully down in the gravel. Watched it for a little bit, pretty neat! Educated my buddy that yes it was a big fish, however, it was spawning, and we weren't going to fish that stretch. He understood and carefully bypassed that section - although it definitely would have crushed my personal best! The fall colors on them bulls are nice - i tried to take a photo, but the glare was too bad from the sun! Was very dark colored.

Oh - what I found odd, was all the bugs flying aruond were light colored... yet only dark dries were working? Never had that before. Cinnamin Sedge was where the money laid, size 16-18.

BeeGuy
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Great pic

That's a pretty fish

Alberta Bigbore
09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Congrats on that beauty.

perchie15
09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
very nice looking fish congrats!!!

tight line
09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice Bow!

Dust1n
09-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Now there's a story to go behind the pic you sent me lol

WayneChristie
09-29-2012, 05:01 PM
nice work bud, good to see you actually catching some fish! (even if they were trout) :bad_boys_20:

slivers86
10-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Now there's a story to go behind the pic you sent me lol

yup, let me know when you are coming down for a weekend on the FTR south. Its almost getting too late!

RockHammer&Rod
10-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Beauty!