PDA

View Full Version : upper Bow River, Banff

bunnyhunter
05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello,

I am going to have an evening to waste time in Banff next weekend..was considering dusting off the fly rod and fishing the Bow River in the Banff townsite area. is it worthwhile? it's gorgeous at least.....any good places on the river nearby? I dont mind a 15-20 min drive. I know the only water body open there at this time of year is the Bow.

what flies should I try? nymphs?

jen

thumper
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
" I am going to have an evening to waste time in Banff next weekend..was considering dusting off the fly rod and fishing the Bow River "

Go wash your mouth out with soap, and write 'Fly fishing is never a 'waste of time' - 100 times!! :D

Right below Bow falls might have some fish while the river's still low. Either side - either climb down the steep bank from 'Surprise Corner' on Buffalo Street, ( a short walk from down-town - but be prepared to get dirty climbing down that slope) or on the Banff Springs Golf Course Road side - right where the Spray River joins the Bow. Try smaller pheasant tails - they're working real well down by Canmore right now.

Kyle
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
just a heads up but you might wanna check out the regs, Id guess that fishing at bow falls would require a parks license :ashamed:

bunnyhunter
05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
yes, thanks!
I was planning on getting a day licence...the only water body open for fishing is the Bow River, in that area,...always wanted to try! too pretty not to.
jen

Tako
05-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I stopped off the highway somewhere between canmore and banff on my way through last week and caught two twin 13" brookies in a good looking run on a #12 hare's ear. I don't know where exactly I was, except that I hadn't entered the park yet, and I got tired of seeing that sexy water go by @ 110km/h
The fishy water holds fish!