PDA

View Full Version : Canoes.....Do you Canoe?

The Fisherman Guy
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
This will be my second canoe purchase after a 17ft green Coleman that was completly bulletproof. We sold it because it was just so damn ugly and have not purchased one since. I have been looking into the different choices out there and I have settled on a flatback for a transom mount trolling motor. The choices are out there and the price varies greatly. Clipper, Coleman, Northwoods... Where is the price still good for quality? A Northwoods custom built canoe with ash trim and seats is half price the of a base model Clipper from MEC.
Anyone out there use the trolling motor & canoe configuration? I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips!!!! Thanks

KyleM
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I have searched high and low for some in the Grande Prairie area.
I used to have an old sportspal that would have been just amazing for the tiny lakes out here. It was even a champ on some bigger water.

I will be watching with interest.

Heres some idears for ya.

http://www.1stdirectproducts.com/sqstca.html

guysmiley
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi there,

I have a Grumman aluminum 17 foot square back that I use a 40 thrust trolling motor on. Works like a champ. It's easy to put rod holders and a fish finder on it too.

It's 85 lbs but solid! I think it's from the late seventies and still doesn't leak.

PM me if you want pics or any more advice.

I found these guys and thought they had a very good idea of what would be required in a fishing canoe. I spoke with the owner and he was very helpfull.

www.riverridgecustomcanoes.com

Garrick.

tonyflyfish
05-05-2008, 08:12 PM
One of my options is the Clipper Escape 16 ft. Totem Outfitters. I bought a bracket for a 40 lb Minn Kota and even though there is no keel is runs good, especially with ballast up front. No square back and short but works for me. I like Cliiper as they are Canadian.
And it is 54 lbs so the wife can up load it while I rig up! Ya right! LOL

rugatika
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Got a clipper tripper. Nice easy paddling canoe.

The Fisherman Guy
05-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I did a little research on motor options, and have been putting it off actually buying one. Picked up a 50lb Minn Kota Maxxum transom mount for three hundred and thirty nine bucks at costco today. A little bigger than what I had my eye on, but great to hear that a 40lb will power a 17ft aluminum with ease. What kind of battery system are you guys running? just one 12V?? more than one?? How many hours of run time are we talking on one charge,,,,, on average?? I have talked with a guy out of Cochrane who runs www.northwoodscanoe.com and his prices are great, and he will custom build to the buyers needs.... Anyone out there have a Northwoods? Any feedback on them would be great. The photos look great, the canoes look fantastic... With all things taken into account I know that I can be happy with a Clipper they are great Canoes. Appreciate all the advice....tight lines