PDA

View Full Version : Interested in fishing areas around Medicine Hat

Drsuzuki
09-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Relocating from Grande Prairie to Medicine Hat. Would like to get some thoughts on possible fishing areas around Medicine Hat. Drop me a line, would like to know what stuff I should bring with me and what I should sell. Thanks

WayneChristie
10-01-2012, 06:45 AM
what do you prefer to fish for? pretty much any kind of fish within a short < 2 hour drive. from wee stinky pond trout to big sturgeon and everything in between. just had a thread about fishing in the area, http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=150518
Barry Mitchells guide has some good info and locations as well.

lone wolf
10-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Relocating from Grande Prairie to Medicine Hat. Would like to get some thoughts on possible fishing areas around Medicine Hat. Drop me a line, would like to know what stuff I should bring with me and what I should sell. Thanks

Bring it all !! As Wayne said, there is a tremendous variety in the area, from trophy rainbows in Bullshead Reservoir, huge sturgeon in the South Saskatchewan (not to mention the other species) and monster pike/walleye in Newell ............... the list goes on.

WayneChristie
10-01-2012, 07:13 AM
forgot to mention, Ive figured there are at least 15 species of fish in the SSR drainage you can catch, more if you count chubs and the odd trout, maybe even more. :sHa_shakeshout:

pikergolf
10-01-2012, 11:32 AM
As everyone said we have a bit of everything, lots of irrigation res. and in those there are serious numbers of pike, some very large, and whitefish. If you like the whites, you're moving to paradise.

Drsuzuki
10-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I chuck iron as well as fly fish although I have not been out more than three times a year for the past few years . I am a member of the peace country fly fishers right now. Is there a fly club in Medicine Hat? I also like to target shoot with my bow and would like to get my wife involved as well. If you have some local club news that you can share that would be great, I am also heavy into sleds and atv's and motorcycles and have thirty years of experience with toys. Making the trip from Grande Prairie to Medicine Hat this week end to have a look around. Any thing that I should check out? Local knowledge would be great. Thanks

pikergolf
10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I chuck iron as well as fly fish although I have not been out more than three times a year for the past few years . I am a member of the peace country fly fishers right now. Is there a fly club in Medicine Hat? I also like to target shoot with my bow and would like to get my wife involved as well. If you have some local club news that you can share that would be great, I am also heavy into sleds and atv's and motorcycles and have thirty years of experience with toys. Making the trip from Grande Prairie to Medicine Hat this week end to have a look around. Any thing that I should check out? Local knowledge would be great. Thanks

You'll be disappointed with your sled, not much for snow, I do think there is a fly club.

safcforever
10-03-2012, 12:31 AM

I love fishing the SSR. Can't stop catching walleye and goldeye. I've caught sturgeon out of there (none since end of may) plus brooks is decent with lake Newell not far away. I even fished Tilley and caught pike. I'm stuck now with where to go. I'm trying somewhere new this weekend and hopefully get my first burbot

WayneChristie
10-03-2012, 05:18 AM
I love fishing the SSR. Can't stop catching walleye and goldeye. I've caught sturgeon out of there (none since end of may) plus brooks is decent with lake Newell not far away. I even fished Tilley and caught pike. I'm stuck now with where to go. I'm trying somewhere new this weekend and hopefully get my first burbot

welcome to my dilemma, to many places to fish and never enough time :sHa_shakeshout:

Drsuzuki
10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Well we made a trip to the hat to have a look around last week end. Checked out the sir and three lakes in Cypress hill park and the bull head resevoir. Spoke with a conservation officer while at bullhead only the be interrupted by a hunting Badger.... Scared the hell out of the lady officer. I can only imagine what would have happened if some one was out shore fishing.
But I have a question about running a propped boat on the SSR . Is it safe ? If I put a prop guard on is it going to be ok? Or is it only safe for me to kayak on the river or will I be looking at purchasing a jet boat?

Dale S
10-13-2012, 08:22 PM
There are spots you can run a prop, but to run up the river any distance you need a jet.Get a jet you won't regret it.

WayneChristie
10-13-2012, 08:38 PM
you dont need a huge jetboat, but if you do get one I guarantee you will love it. so much scenery and fishing areas that rarely see humans. there is some amazing country around the Hat. and some good fishing too.

madatter
10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I've beaten up a lot of props on the SSR,now that ive got a new boat I won't hit the river with it....
Like others have said a prop can be used but be prepared to ding it up and don't expect to go upriver much.
If you can afford the jet then get one cause it opens up so many more options on the river.

Drsuzuki
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Made the jump November the first , will be looking to meet some like minded people in the area , drop me a e mail to kmckay@gasdriveglobal.com I will be pretty bored in the evening until my family can move . Will have a place to stay soon instead of living out of a suit case and hotels . Drop me a e mail I will drink poor coffe and cheap rum. Kent

Drsuzuki
01-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Looking to meet some local like minded people and network . My evenings are a little boring and would like to meet some people so i can maybe find some one i can fish with. Kmckay@gasdriveglobal.com

Icefisher2885
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
There is both a fly club and an archery club in town. The archery club is one of the best and most competitive in the province - an absolutely great group of people with several national 3D medalists.

http://medicinehatsaamisarchers.com/

For info on the fly club, PM "bloom" on either this board or the flyfishcalgary.ca board and he can give you all the info you'll need.

Sledhead71
01-09-2013, 09:24 AM
You'll be disappointed with your sled, not much for snow, I do think there is a fly club.

No disappointments with the quads or sleds, the Mountians are only 3 hours away, plenty of area to blow the stink off :)

Drsuzuki
02-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Well the house in GP sold and the move is on to Medicine hat. Really looking forward to meeting some folks once I get settled. Have been looking at the open water on the ssr for that last few months and an itching to go fishing. I have made a drive out to Caven (unsure what are in there) Ressor , Elkwater , and another little lake in the park , 40 mile and Newell. I hope february does not drive us too crazy. And maybe with some luck i will find a house or acerage to buy soon.:sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
02-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Rainbows in Cavan, the other little lake in the park would be Spruce Coulee. Welcome to the South:).

Winch101
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Dr. When your in the hat your not far from good sask fishing

Like Diefenbaker

huntsfurfish
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
And Reid lake/duncarin(sp):)South of Deif.

yulful
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Welcome DR.
Don't forget about Rattlesnake, Tilley, Murray, Grassy, Michelle and Bullshead once its open for the season..

madatter
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Personally I'd forget about Rattlesnake except at one time....

Rob.H
02-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Hey I'm also new this year and brought my sled up. I'm looking for someone to hit some trails with. I ride a 2005 Yamaha Apex 1000 (short track). Let me know if you wanna go for a rip to the mountains.
Cheers

Newbie.fisherman82
09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
hi
was hoping for a little help........ my only fishing experience is the lakes in north sask where lets face it u dont have to be good to catch a monster fish (my best a 20 lb 40 inch jack). i fished the SSR (hat area) 3 times, 3 different spots and had no luck at all....:angry3: what is the best bait/rig to b using please???? dont want any special spots as i am willing to try every meter of the bank to find my own but help on what to use and how to fish a river would be appreciated!!!!

THANKS