PDA

View Full Version : Almost run over by riverboat

ksmitty
09-30-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away. I almost went down when the wake hit. Is there any thing we can do to rid the rivers of these losers? Aside from the erosion and habitat degradation I can't imagine what could have happened if one of my kids was there. :argue2:

Rick.
09-30-2012, 10:05 PM
At eight feet you should be able to get a good description and report them to the RCMP. No excuse for that behavior. At eight feet you would, IMO, be justified in stoning the idiot. Rick.

BlackHeart
09-30-2012, 10:34 PM
What were you in...a float tube???...that you almost capsized?
And what river were you in and your position within that river?

boonerkiller
09-30-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away. I almost went down when the wake hit. Is there any thing we can do to rid the rivers of these losers? Aside from the erosion and habitat degradation I can't imagine what could have happened if one of my kids was there. :argue2:

Really.......I can't imagine

Geezle
09-30-2012, 10:50 PM
*sigh* here we go again...:party0051:

BlackHeart
09-30-2012, 10:57 PM
*sigh* here we go again...:party0051:

Yep! Canoeist = puritist.....or should I say puritanism.

ksmitty
09-30-2012, 11:02 PM
No standing in the red deer river about waist deep fishing a log jam. The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. The boater could have cut power but went by full bore. The wake hit me mid chest. Unfortunately all I know is the boat is green and silver. I am not trying to stir up a "kill the jet boaters" post but I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.

Gust
09-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Rules of a waterway are more stringent that the rules of the road,,, you also were in the right and you should have reported the boater no different than you would report a reckless driver on a roadway.
I
Waterways are not no-mans land for activity as some think when out there.

BeeGuy
09-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I would still make a report.

Boater was probably DUI

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 12:03 AM
No standing in the red deer river about waist deep fishing a log jam. The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. The boater could have cut power but went by full bore. The wake hit me mid chest. Unfortunately all I know is the boat is green and silver. I am not trying to stir up a "kill the jet boaters" post but I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.

Well you are stirring it up.

So let get this straight.....channel is 20ft there....that would put middle of river 10 ft from each side. Now let's add in that you chest deep into the river. That chews up how much from one side??? Let say its pretty steep there, which would make it hard to even stand....45degrees....that you out from shore probably 4 ft give or take. Beam of a jet boat can be from 7 to 9 ft average.

Are you with still??? So let's say 8ft beam. Youve taken 4 of 20 leaving 16 a available. Now consider that beam has to have its space. So if the guy pits the boat to the waters edge that leave 8ft max space. Which is what you say he gave. So other than put it on shore, there was no more room possible for him to give you.

I call BS.

Gust
10-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Well you are stirring it up.

So let get this straight.....channel is 20ft there....that would put middle of river 10 ft from each side. Now let's add in that you chest deep into the river. That chews up how much from one side??? Let say its pretty steep there, which would make it hard to even stand....45degrees....that you out from shore probably 4 ft give or take. Beam of a jet boat can be from 7 to 9 ft average.

Are you with still??? So let's say 8ft beam. Youve taken 4 of 20 leaving 16 a available. Now consider that beam has to have its space. So if the guy pits the boat to the waters edge that leave 8ft max space. Which is what you say he gave. So other than put it on shore, there was no more room possible for him to give you.

I call BS.

He could of slowed down so as not to damage structures or cause harm.

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 12:11 AM
yup, typical conservative boater entitlement

stay safe out there kids

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 12:12 AM
And a few more things to consider.....at step a jet boat has control ....with power off it's much less.....on a narrow river with bends ..... for me to kill the power does a few things 1) limits control 2) creates a bow wake much larger for you to deal with 3) forces me to stay deeper and therefore center of this 20ft river which would put the average jet within 2ft of you.

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 12:16 AM

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????

I do understand....that you know nothing of jet boats and their handling, their displacement, their depth at step or off strep...and such......... Think about it....the rivers 20ft wide there. Stick to things you know about....

boonerkiller
10-01-2012, 12:45 AM

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????

You are a clown that knows nothing of how a boat handles on/off step or the fact that it draws significantly less water at higher speeds thus a smaller wake at higher speeds.......what damage to structure are you referring to?

Pikey
10-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Jet boats are cool, wish I had one.

I have a 40 year old canoe, and I still love it (had the boy on the NSR today in it for the first time).

No dollar signs in my future for a jet boat, so I'll be in my canoe.

For the first time ever we had a brush at the lake this year with a boater not paying attention, and came way to close (saw us with seconds to spare). We were on glass calm water in our life jackets and plain as day. I can take a scare like that solo, but with my kids in the canoe - no.

Being respectful in a forum is one thing, but on the water it means a whole lot more. The message here is to be responsible, whether you're boating, or driving to the lake/river.

jungleboy
10-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I have a better idea!

Gust, BeeGuy, n Kssmitty....come for a ride some day... You bring the beer.....I will even let you drive cause with 3 cases, Im gonna get DUI. Then you can speak about jet boats with an ounce of knowledge.

Butt if you liberals bring light beer...your going to have to say "Justin" before every shot or you go in!

I see a possible connection here to the problem , maybe leave the beer on shore (I think there is some law about that but I could be wrong:rolleye2:)..Oh and I am no liberal commie pinko so don't even go there.

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Jet boats are cool, wish I had one.

I have a 40 year old canoe, and I still love it (had the boy on the NSR today in it for the first time).

No dollar signs in my future for a jet boat, so I'll be in my canoe.

For the first time ever we had a brush at the lake this year with a boater not paying attention, and came way to close (saw us with seconds to spare). We were on glass calm water in our life jackets and plain as day. I can take a scare like that solo, but with my kids in the canoe - no.

Being respectful in a forum is one thing, but on the water it means a whole lot more. The message here is to be responsible, whether you're boating, or driving to the lake/river.

I agree! On the lake, I give all others a wide wide berth, whether 40fter or canoe. And appreciate the same courtesy in return. But be an adze and think you have a right to elbow what ever space you like, cause your big or cause your small....welllllll ...your going to be given the same courtesy.

On a river, space is limited....but the holier than thou crowd seems to flourish here with their goochy gear and my space entitlement

And I could never imagine someone from my dads era whining about such trams and discomforts of being outdoors. Makes me wonder who put estrogen in the water supply.

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 01:08 AM
I see a possible connection here to the problem , maybe leave the beer on shore (I think there is some law about that but I could be wrong:rolleye2:)..Oh and I am no liberal commie pinko so don't even go there.

Beer is for the shore leave.....Whatever that ends up entailing...
And No! I would not call you anything like that.

It wasn't me that caused the red panty brigade to get their knickers in a bunch....so the connection???...missing it.

pickrel pat
10-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Blackhearts words ring true when speaking of jet boats.

steve
10-01-2012, 05:12 AM

Really could have cut power? 2 half throttle so the wake is bigger? Or slowed right down for you, then it would be a thread about how you stood there laughing as the guy was trying to push his boat off the rocks.

Share the river. Like you said you were standing in a 20' run. Why not move to shore when you hear one coming?

KegRiver
10-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Share the river. Like you said you were standing in a 20' run. Why not move to shore when you hear one coming?

Good point. Maybe he couldn't hear it coming, for whatever reason.
But if he had, it would have been the smart thing to do.

Or maybe he didn't have time to get out of the water. In a narrow channel like that, with bends and all, sound might not carry all that well.
Moving when one is chest deep in water is not all that easy, as anyone who has tried it would know.

I wonder though about why a jet boat would be running a river like that.
20 feet is an awfully narrow channel for any power boat.

If indeed the channel is that narrow at that point, it would be a very risky thing to run. Sounds to me like the sense of entitlement might be on the boaters side on this one.

Oh, and by the way folks, name calling can get you a free vacation.
Lets be civil, okay.

Gust
10-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Regardless of whether your boat is a jet, a jon, a punt, a diry whatever, there are rules. You dont get special rights because you have a specific vessel.

Oh right, age old waterway laws are liberal nanny state rubbish,, continue being a moron oout there.

catnthehat
10-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Here's the deal - No ONE owns the lake or rivers!
The problem however, is that us jet boaters must yelid right of way to small craft .
No sweat, I run a 12' tinner and a canoe as well as a jet.
The probllem with this rule is theblanket statement.
if a boat comes around a corner and discovers a canoe or fosherman in the middle of te creek, at times there is nowhere to go but hit the bank - which I have done , BTW!
Other times , there is not enough time.
AS was mentioned, dropping down off step , there is a risk of bottoming, and also throwing an even larger wake that when on step.

To say that a jet boater "should have doen this " or "should have done that" is pretty hard to lay down at times, simply because the conditions may not have warranted it.
This time of year there is a channel I love to take but do not because I know there are always people fishing the bank, the channel is narrow , and it's far easier for me to go around to get into the Athabasca from the mouth of the Clearwater.
However, I get a bit ticked when people are fishing off the back of my parked boat trailer and will not move so I can beach the boat.
Respect goes both ways, and if one teis to get along htere is usually no problems, however, if a person decides that they own the rivers, well things get ugle.
I for one do not know why some of us power boaters need to continually go by canoes on a lake, or why guys on jjet skis will not give a jet boat timee to get up and out of the way before they start rippig around a posted 12KPH zone!!:thinking-006:
Cat

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 07:29 AM
It is not the responsibility of other recreationalists to operate anyone else's craft in a safe manner.

If you are travelling at speeds or in a manner which makes it impossible to avoid a dangerous situation in a narrow stretch or around the next blind corner, then I hope you have,

1) no conscienece with regards to lives you may ruin

2) insurance

Gust
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Really could have cut power? 2 half throttle so the wake is bigger? Or slowed right down for you, then it would be a thread about how you stood there laughing as the guy was trying to push his boat off the rocks.

Because he dosnt have to.

Gust
10-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I agree! On the lake, I give all others a wide wide berth, whether 40fter or canoe. And appreciate the same courtesy in return. But be an adze and think you have a right to elbow what ever space you like, cause your big or cause your small....welllllll ...your going to be given the same courtesy.

On a river, space is limited....but the holier than thou crowd seems to flourish here with their goochy gear and my space entitlement

And I could never imagine someone from my dads era whining about such trams and discomforts of being outdoors. Makes me wonder who put estrogen in the water supply.

The laws are older than your dad.

Gust
10-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Blackhearts words ring true when speaking of jet boats.

But not on the law.

Hearing a boat coming does not dictate more rights on a waterway,,, thats like saying a harley with straight pipes always has the right of way.

jungleboy
10-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Beer is for the shore leave.....Whatever that ends up entailing...
And No! I would not call you anything like that.

It wasn't me that caused the red panty brigade to get their knickers in a bunch....so the connection???...missing it.

Re read the thread ... you're right , my bad .I think I was up too late last night.

Shawnlh
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Regardless of all the banter. If someone were to blast by me at that close of a distance, I would have beaned him with a rock, and would have been ready to throw down on the shore.
I would be instantly enraged.

But that's just me :argue2:

Winch101
Am armed society is a polite society. At least always have a camera ready ....

jungleboy
Because he dosnt have to.

You don't have to step back from the tracks when a train is coming either but it's not a bad Idea:snapoutofit:

Gust
10-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Keep waking them tracks, thats what they are there for.

All boaters regardless of hp or paddle power should take a med water course imo

50/50
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Don't block a navigatable waterway, with anything unless it is an emergency. Any non natural obstacle to a navigable waterway is illegal.

Actually you can't even throw a stick into a waterway: nor a rock (unless the water is 20 fathoms deep).

Lambo
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
For the record, that wasn't me that almost ran you over. I was on the RDR yesterday but my boat is red and silver. I didn't know there was a 20' wide section on the RDR. That is extremely narrow. Why would you even need to wade into the water to fish that narrow of a river. Fish from shore - I'm sure you can chuck lures or flies onto the opposite shore. "erosion and habitat degradation"? huh? how??

I have driven by many canoers, kayakers, shore fishermen and have always gotten a wave so I must be doing something right. I slow down enough to still stay on step and stay as far away from them as I can without hitting ground.

I find everybody seems to want to go down the middle of the river (especially on the bow). It's hard for jet boats to run along the edge of the river a slow speeds. We saw 3 kayakers paddling side by side yesterday taking up most of the width of the river. Luckily we were anchored and fishing but if we were cruisin, there wouldn't have been anywhere for us to go except stop and hope we don't get stuck in shallows

ksmitty
10-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Reports in to the RCMP. He said there have several others filed already. He said if I could get the boat ID # it would be easy to charge/convict.

ksmitty
10-01-2012, 08:30 AM
The navigable channel is only 20 feet wide. There is a large log jam on the opposing bank which I was casting into. I am sure you know the place if you jet boat the rdr below the dam. I know it's not a perfect world but there was a clear lack of respect. Why not come back and say sorry. I own a lot of land along the river and have given access and even help via tractor to stranded boaters but I guess that won't happen again. It's too bad.....sad really.

Stugeogarcia
10-01-2012, 09:02 AM
As well, a jet boat has to go so fast to plane on the water....that's how they work. As a matter of fact you end up with a larger wake the slower you go. These are facts. It may have been an unpleasent experience....but that's it.

Stugeogarcia
10-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Reports in to the RCMP. He said there have several others filed already. He said if I could get the boat ID # it would be easy to charge/convict.

What are you reporting specifically?

Joe Fehr
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I avoided a group of canoes strung out across the river once by going to the bank, ended up smacking a nice sized jagged rock that dam near put a hole in my boat, knocked my little girl down and I was slowed right down. Next time I'll avoid them as much as possible but if they can't share the water then they may get swamped.

Standing in the middle of a river by a log jam (very dangerous for a boat, fisherman etc) fishing and then complaining that the boater didn't give you what you feel like was a safe distance and speed is pretty childish in my opinion. There are few of us jet boaters that would endanger another persons life on purpose. But I'm glad to see you feel the need to paint every jet boater with the same brush, maybe you need to go join the like of PETA because according to them every hunter, fisherman, etc is a sadistic killer and torturer of animals.

No one owns the rivers and if we start restricting usage on water ways everyone will end up losing in the long run.

50/50
10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
It sounds like 2 people playing river chicken acting foolishly.

"I chose not to slow down nor give fishermen time to move or even blow the horn."

"I chose not to move since I didn't hear the boat , or see it coming"

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Pathetic! " Mommy?!???!!! Somebody ALMOST got me wet and came too close to me....... I want the river to myself.....make the bad boaters go away!."

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
The navigable channel is only 20 feet wide. There is a large log jam on the opposing bank which I was casting into. I am sure you know the place if you jet boat the rdr below the dam. I know it's not a perfect world but there was a clear lack of respect. Why not come back and say sorry. I own a lot of land along the river and have given access and even help via tractor to stranded boaters but I guess that won't happen again. It's too bad.....sad really.

The lack of respect is from you. Standing in a narrow river and not moving out of the way.....yeah your entitled to stand where you want....but then quit whining about the effects.

And from this thread I'll now come of step to go around "dogs in a manger/river" .... Hope you like the much bigger wake.

And shouldn't you be busy combining and such, instead of fishing and whinng and posting on here?? Again I call BS

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
The lack of respect is from you. Standing in a narrow river and not moving out of the way.....yeah your entitled to stand where you want....but then quit whining about the effects.

And from this thread I'll now come of step to go around "dogs in a manger/river" .... Hope you like the much bigger wake.

Attitudes like yours will guarantee more regulations are passed.

It's pretty obvious in this thread which jet boat operators are reasonable and which are not.

Like in so many things, a few ruin it for the many.

maverick
10-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Regardless of all the banter. If someone were to blast by me at that close of a distance, I would have beaned him with a rock, and would have been ready to throw down on the shore.
I would be instantly enraged.

But that's just me :argue2:

So Shawn if you are standing chest deep how do you plan on getting the rock without dunking yourself.

I just got back from a week on the Bulkley River and the water level is down to the bare minimum to get jet boats thru most of the heads of runs. In most you still make contact while going thru. I was coming up a section by the golfcourse in town and there was a retard standing in the middle of the head in the only water deep enough to get thru making a tweleve foot cast with a fourteen foot spey rod. He had about as much of a chance of catching a steelhead there as winning 649. I came off step below him and stopped in the river and said could he get out of the way so we could get through, his response was he was fishing so no way wait until I'm done. My response to him was I was the first boat in and there was five more getting ready to put in so you might as well get out now because they will all be coming for the next twenty to forty minutes. He said we can all wait till he was done.

I pointed behind me to where the run is at the golfcourse where the steelhead are caught tried to help him out and you could hear the next boat coming it was about a half mile back. He said he didn't need any help on how to catch fish and didn't care that another boat was coming. There was no way past him but right beside him rocks were exposed all the way across the riffle except for the one piece about ten feet wide that he was standing in. So I said fair enough turned around put my boat on step and turned back up river and went by him thru the channel missing by maybe six feet but since he was only standing in water that was at the top of his boots I'm sure my wake didn't hit him in the chest. Because he was standing in the deepest part my boat made contact with the bottom at least three times. I put in at shore in the deep water on the next run and looked at the shoe on my leg to see if I had damaged it. The next boat stopped and was yelling at him and then he went by him and you could hear more boats coming. I guess you can't fix stupid or even reason with stupid.

Ksmitty you need to take responsibility for your own actions. You heard that boat coming, you can hear a jet coming for probably a mile so you had plenty of time to get out of the water. If you are standing in the middle of a channel that is only twenty feet wide when you know a boat is coming you need only blame yourself for getting wet for not moving. Where exactly did you expect the boat to go. When a river that is typically 70 to 100 yards wide is necked down to 20 feet and obstructed on one side side by a logjam you should be smart enough to step back out of the way so you don't put the lives of the people in the boat at risk or result in the boat being damaged for your lack of action. If anything I would hope you now realize how dangerous a situation you created by selfishly standing in the way. A little common sense would of avoided the entire situation.

ksmitty
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
The more Blackheart blabs. The more my point is reinforced. Thank you for your help as your comments show your true self and I quote "It is better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I think this debate should end.

NSR Monger
10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away.

The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.

lol you are a smart one, I think most of us agree the boater is not in the wrong here and that you probably need to get better at judging distances. 20 feet, 8 feet?? lol i bet these numbers are quite a bit higher. Why are you in middle of a 20 ft river?? I can see the problem, I think you need to learn how to cast farther........heres my advice, you go to the park and practice until you can cast atleast 20 feet, then you dont need to go in the river at all. Next, you measure out different lengths in that park, and see what 8ft and 20ft atcually look like. You'll be suprised that you can cast 20ft now but still cant make it across the river, but how coudl that be?? of yeah the river isnt actually 20ft wide hahah man you make me laugh

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
The more Blackheart blabs. The more my point is reinforced. Thank you for your help as your comments show your true self and I quote "It is better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I think this debate should end.

Then you should never have started this thread....read my first post and explain where Else or how else the boat could go past you other than even closer.

NSR Monger
10-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Then you should never have started this thread....read my first post and explain where Else or how else the boat could go past you other than even closer.

sooooo, lets get to the bottom of this..............the guy cant judge distances, he cant cast, he doesnt know how boats work, and he is jealous that he has to fish from shore because he cant afford a boat. Think we figured out the problem

sigwic13
10-01-2012, 10:44 AM
rtrtyyutyrty

BlackHeart
10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Attitudes like yours will guarantee more regulations are passed.

It's pretty obvious in this thread which jet boat operators are reasonable and which are not.

Like in so many things, a few ruin it for the many.

Yeah it only takes a few whining Liberals to give the govt a reason.

There is no stopping the proliferation of envy disguised as "safety" or "save the environment".....

I've read your posts and most times stop from posting....just too much thick liberalism, to even begin.

sigwic13
10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure your talking about me and my boat. All i have to say is that the idiot who started this post has no idea what he is talking about. He is out right lying as i am a huge fly fisherman myself and have never done anything like that in my life. I'm not sure were flyfisherman get this idea that the river's are there for them to use and no one else.

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
:party0051:

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah it only takes a few whining Liberals to give the govt a reason.

There is no stopping the proliferation of envy disguised as "safety" or "save the environment".....

I've read your posts and most times stop from posting....just too much thick liberalism, to even begin.

bahahahaha, envy, hahahahaha, liberalism, hohoho, hehehe

lol

Pikey
10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Here's the deal - No ONE owns the lake or rivers!
The problem however, is that us jet boaters must yelid right of way to small craft .
No sweat, I run a 12' tinner and a canoe as well as a jet.
The probllem with this rule is theblanket statement.
if a boat comes around a corner and discovers a canoe or fosherman in the middle of te creek, at times there is nowhere to go but hit the bank - which I have done , BTW!
Other times , there is not enough time.
AS was mentioned, dropping down off step , there is a risk of bottoming, and also throwing an even larger wake that when on step.

To say that a jet boater "should have doen this " or "should have done that" is pretty hard to lay down at times, simply because the conditions may not have warranted it.
This time of year there is a channel I love to take but do not because I know there are always people fishing the bank, the channel is narrow , and it's far easier for me to go around to get into the Athabasca from the mouth of the Clearwater.
However, I get a bit ticked when people are fishing off the back of my parked boat trailer and will not move so I can beach the boat.
Respect goes both ways, and if one teis to get along htere is usually no problems, however, if a person decides that they own the rivers, well things get ugle.
I for one do not know why some of us power boaters need to continually go by canoes on a lake, or why guys on jjet skis will not give a jet boat timee to get up and out of the way before they start rippig around a posted 12KPH zone!!:thinking-006:
Cat

Well put!

NSR Monger
10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
ummm can we stop arguing with each other and get back to making fun of the OP???

50/50
10-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I've even seen kids playing ball hockey move off a street to let a car go by.

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 10:59 AM

How fast was the car moving?

Was the operator in control?

NSR Monger
10-01-2012, 11:00 AM

you have seen this? thats good n all, but if you are FOUR FEET into a river how on earth could he ever get back to shore in time, thats like atleast 2 steps back to shore, thats alot more work then not moving so he can come on here an complain after.....Also, Jet boats are basically silent, he could never hear it coming, give him a break dammit

maverick
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
How fast was the car moving?

Was the operator in control?

I believe this is the point you aren't understanding. If he slowed down and took his boat off step he loses control of the boat. If he needs to pass that close to a wader who refuses to yield and back out of the channel so the boat can pass then the boat needs to go by him on step so he doesn't run him over. This entire event is simply avoided by the wader using some common sense and wading out of the way so the boat can safely pass.

50/50
10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
PART II
OBSTACLES AND OBSTRUCTIONS
Interpretation
Definition of “owner”

14. (1) In this Part, “owner” means the registered or other owner at the time any wreck, obstruction or obstacle referred to in this Part was occasioned, and includes a subsequent purchaser.

Marginal note:Interpretation
(2) A reference to a “thing” in sections 15 to 18 and 20, with respect to a thing that is or is likely to become an obstruction or obstacle to navigation, does not include a reference to a thing of natural origin unless the obstruction or obstacle, or likely obstruction or obstacle, is caused by a person.

Go figure .. a person can be an obstacle to a navigable waterway

Alberta Bigbore
10-01-2012, 11:14 AM
some of need to get out and go fishing. Closed.

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
I believe this is the point you aren't understanding. If he slowed down and took his boat off step he loses control of the boat. If he needs to pass that close to a wader who refuses to yield and back out of the channel so the boat can pass then the boat needs to go by him on step so he doesn't run him over. This entire event is simply avoided by the wader using some common sense and wading out of the way so the boat can safely pass.

The point I'm trying to make is just that, the boat requires the green light to continue on step.

If a situation arises where the boat can not continue at full bore, it creates a safety issue.

Perhaps running a river that narrow on the weekend isn't the wisest choice.