PDA

View Full Version : Larger Crankbaits - Who makes the best big ones for intermediate depths????

EZM
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
So ...... I'm going to share a frustration and/or rant regarding bigger crankbaits and wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas and/or opinions on this.

Seems to me, regardless of major brand, you get a small 2 3/4" to maybe 4" crank that can run a variety of depths. These are available in tons of colors, profiles, swim patterns etc....

Most major manufacturers indicate the depth on the box. I've found Rapala, Cordel and Storm to be fairly accurate.

So here's my frustration. We tend to troll just on the deep side of structure or weed beds. In most Alberta lakes this means 10-12 feet where the bulk of the weeds stop interfering with your crankbait.

Many of these smaller plugs (2 3/4" up to 4") work great, as long as they are rated for a 7'to 15' dive rate. It gets you right on target and it seems to out fish other plugs in this case (most of the time).

I would LOVE to get a true 6" to 10" long crankbait to run at these depths (7' to 15'), AND be available in a variety of colors, swim patterns etc.... like many of these smaller cranks.

One example the magnum Rapala, which is available in many colors, but only a few profiles and swim patterns, runs too deep ( runs 18'-21') and leaves me too far away from the target zone.

I have, on occasion, resorted to "modify the lures" but it really sucks when you take a $20 magnum and render it useless with your overzealous Dremel work (trying to reduce the profile of the diving lip to make it troll a bit shallower).

Any thoughts, suggestions or other brands you may have found that would fit this bill?

fishpro
10-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Check out the Bomber Long A, they might work for what you're looking for.

EZM
10-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Check out the Bomber Long A, they might work for what you're looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the website and kinda strengthened my concern - the "Bomber long A" runs 4'-8' - too shallow.

The "Bomber long A Deep" runs 15'-20' - too deep.

I'm looking for what I'd call intermediate depth - 7'-15" as a range.

I have also found bombers to not run very true ..... but thanks for the help nevertheless.

Kyle
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
There are literally hundreds of musky lures that would fit that description. Check out thorne bros or rollie and helens musky shop. There probably isn't much available locally.

Esox
10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Just because it says 6-8 feet doesn't mean it won't run deeper. Long line trolling can make it troll deeper. Also there's many other way, add a snap weight up the line from the lure, use leadcore or use a 3way rig. If you're fishing in 10 feet of depth, having a lure run at 8 feet is just about perfect, active fish are off bottom and see upwards. Big pike especially will silhouette their bait by looking upwards.

Mmtobias
10-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Have you tried going on some of the manufacture sites like Rapala. They usually have an online catalog that will probably show a lot of products and colours that most stores don't carry but can be special ordered.

EZM
10-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Just because it says 6-8 feet doesn't mean it won't run deeper. Long line trolling can make it troll deeper. Also there's many other way, add a snap weight up the line from the lure, use leadcore or use a 3way rig. If you're fishing in 10 feet of depth, having a lure run at 8 feet is just about perfect, active fish are off bottom and see upwards. Big pike especially will silhouette their bait by looking upwards.

Using inline sinkers or adding a three way, admittedly, will get your shallow running crank down. I am, however, not a big fan of altering the intended vibration and/or action of a crank, or adding more opportunities to create snags and certainly not a fan of dropping the nose of a crankbait which creates line twist and changes the whole lure action.

The point of most cranks, and great features are lost, slowing the boat when running into shallower water, were the bouyancy of the crank (most are floaters)will raise your run depth and avoid snags as you slowly troll over and when clear, resume speed. Adding weight exasperates this key feature in this case.

Ever had those days where you are getting "hit and run" after "hit and run"?

Adding weight will reduce hooks up when "slack line sting em" fishing on those days. (this is a term of my own which is copyrighted).

What I mean is, when a pike or trout charges and bumps the crank (to stun it), I kick the boat into nuetral, I dip my rod and the crank floats up, I pump the tip a few times, and she returns for another bite becuase she thinks she wounded the bait. Wounded fish (like dead fish) will float up and flutter. A weight would make them sink like a stone.

There are days this technique put 80% of the fish in the boat that otherwise would have been gone.

As far as "long lining" (assuming meaning you let out more) - at some point the dip in the line is too much to set a hook, most lure simply won't dive much deeper after having 60 feet or so out and, of course, you have less feel with too much line out. You can go 10mph, have 200 feet of 4lb braid on, but with a 4-6ft diver it isn't going down, as a matter of fact at some point it comes up. Every lure and line combination have a sweet spot but variablity might be 20%-30% (or 1-2ft in this example).

I apprechiate the fact, that what you are saying would work (by adding weight) but this is obviously why I'm asking ....... just want to see if guys out there found any brands that are what I'm looking for without modification. Every modification changes the presentation (in some cases it's good, in most, it's not, simply because it wasn't designed for that modification).

For Xmass I want a true running crank between 7"-10" that runs at 7'-15' feet deep.

Thanks for your thoughts - Don't get me wrong - I do apprechiate them.

EZM
10-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Have you tried going on some of the manufacture sites like Rapala. They usually have an online catalog that will probably show a lot of products and colours that most stores don't carry but can be special ordered.

Yes, unfortunately, I have. There really, and quite strangely, appears to be nothing out there (in a major brand) available from what I've seen. As one of the contributors to this thread stated, there are probably a few custom or small brands that make and carry them, but I'd like to go down to the store and grab one.

Maybe we start our our own crankbait business for this niche - if, in fact, it does not exsist. lol.

BeeGuy
10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Rapala F18 will run 10feet.

I use them for trout. For big pike I would want something much larger.

They are just over 7" long.

If you look online, I'm sure you'll find exactly what you are looking for.

Kyle
10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes, unfortunately, I have. There really, and quite strangely, appears to be nothing out there (in a major brand) available from what I've seen. As one of the contributors to this thread stated, there are probably a few custom or small brands that make and carry them, but I'd like to go down to the store and grab one.

Maybe we start our our own crankbait business for this niche - if, in fact, it does not exsist. lol.

Not sure if you saw my post but give it a read over. They do exist, in fact, there are hundreds of them.

Wayne B
10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Lindy "big M" shallow diver. Great crank bait,also suspends..jerk bait as well
Rebel saltwater cranks shallow
Bomber saltwater cranks..shallow
10" &13" Believers shallow setting..great action
Wiley lures. Wooden crankbaits great trolling lures
Lucky Strike wooden plug
Suick wood jerk bait good troller,need to pump it
Bucher "Shallow Raider".."Baby Raider"
Loepardi wooden cranks..metal lip
Storm "Kickin Minnow"
Swim Whiz

bobalong
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Reef Runner Ripstick 900 series

EZM
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Not sure if you saw my post but give it a read over. They do exist, in fact, there are hundreds of them.

Yeah sorry, I was just checking the Rollie and Helens website. Looks like they do have a good selection of bigger cranks that run at the required depths "without modification".

Are there any you have used or would recomend specifically - I was looking for a specific brand name, series, etc... that you might recomend. It's hard to tell which brands are decent as I've never heard of most of them. I'd hate to drop a few hundred bucks and find out some are junk and/or don't run true.

There is simply nothing out here "off the shelf" that fits the bill out west here. I guess mail order and take your chances is the name of the game maybe.

The key to this hunt is:

1) 7" to 10" in size
2) run between 7' and 15' deep and true

Definitely some on that website - I just don't knw the brands and thier quality.

Thanks Kyle - good info.... aprechiate it.

Dust1n
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Custom X Lures They run true and in your depth range and handmade by some dude in the states

Kyle
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah sorry, I was just checking the Rollie and Helens website. Looks like they do have a good selection of bigger cranks that run at the required depths "without modification".

Are there any you have used or would recomend specifically - I was looking for a specific brand name, series, etc... that you might recomend. It's hard to tell which brands are decent as I've never heard of most of them. I'd hate to drop a few hundred bucks and find out some are junk and/or don't run true.

There is simply nothing out here "off the shelf" that fits the bill out west here. I guess mail order and take your chances is the name of the game maybe.

The key to this hunt is:

1) 7" to 10" in size
2) run between 7' and 15' deep and true

Definitely some on that website - I just don't knw the brands and thier quality.

Thanks Kyle - good info.... aprechiate it.

Anything they sell on those sites should be quality. Check out musky mania 8"/10" jakes, grandma 8" or if you call one of them tomorrow they would be able to help you out. Knowledgeable guys working there!

Alberta Bigbore
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
8"/10" jakes

great baits!!

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/feeshing/WP_001639.jpg

EZM
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info all of you, just ordered up a bunch and they are on thier way from the us .......... need to intercept package and visa bill before my wife gets a hold of em' ..... some of those brands aren't cheap and come in too many colors !!!!

pike_king780
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info all of you, just ordered up a bunch and they are on thier way from the us .......... need to intercept package and visa bill before my wife gets a hold of em' ..... some of those brands aren't cheap and come in too many colors !!!!

LMAO that sounds just like me. hide/cover up the evidence and shell never kno

Mxyzptik
10-03-2012, 07:50 PM
My depth charts are all in my tackle box out at my buddies place so I can't check but how deep does the Storm Jr. Thunderstick run ?

In blue with the yellow and orange bottom is one of my favourites for that depth to my recollection.

EZM
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
My depth charts are all in my tackle box out at my buddies place so I can't check but how deep does the Storm Jr. Thunderstick run ?

In blue with the yellow and orange bottom is one of my favourites for that depth to my recollection.

After I open the box, dremel off (grind off) the barbs, first thing I do is write the diving (running) range on the lip of the crank with a sharpie permanent marker.

Although you can sort of tell based on the size of the lip, where the ring is on the lip itself, it's just better to write it on the crank and you are set. Eliminates the guesswork.

I too, at one time, tried keeping a piece off the box and neatly slotting them back into the same bin BUT as I approach 100 crankbaits in 6 plano organizers it's too much of a chore to keep straight.

Sharpie marker is my best friend ....

The Great White Hype
10-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Work with some of the baits you already have, get yourself a trolling rod and line counter and a book called "Precision Trolling". In this book (which has laminated sheets) you will find trolling depths and line out totals in a graph. The info makes trolling with cranks simple work.... Also has most of rapala, and other companies lures there...

BeeGuy
10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
After I open the box, dremel off (grind off) the barbs, first thing I do is write the diving (running) range on the lip of the crank with a sharpie permanent marker.

Although you can sort of tell based on the size of the lip, where the ring is on the lip itself, it's just better to write it on the crank and you are set. Eliminates the guesswork.

I too, at one time, tried keeping a piece off the box and neatly slotting them back into the same bin BUT as I approach 100 crankbaits in 6 plano organizers it's too much of a chore to keep straight.

Sharpie marker is my best friend ....

Work with some of the baits you already have, get yourself a trolling rod and line counter and a book called "Precision Trolling". In this book (which has laminated sheets) you will find trolling depths and line out totals in a graph. The info makes trolling with cranks simple work.... Also has most of rapala, and other companies lures there...

great info

great thread

The Great White Hype
10-03-2012, 11:02 PM
great info

great thread

I call it the "Trolling Bible"

BeeGuy
10-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I call it the "Trolling Bible"

Apparently it is out of print and copies are going for a small fortune.

Amazon wants $1200 for their only copy as an extreme example.

If anyone in calgary has one they could lend, I'd be happy to produce some laminated/waterproof charts for their use in exchange.

The Great White Hype
10-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Apparently it is out of print and copies are going for a small fortune.

Amazon wants $1200 for their only copy as an extreme example.

If anyone in calgary has one they could lend, I'd be happy to produce some laminated/waterproof charts for their use in exchange.

There are smaller versions, designed for fresh water only.... BPS has it in their fishing department, i think its $54 dollars... At least that is where I seen it last.

huntsfurfish
10-04-2012, 06:23 AM
I also saw em at BP a little while back(I have most versions). Excellent book, but is coming out electronically(Iphone etc). May be already available.

Line diameter and lenght out affect depth. Drop weights can be effective and intercept stray weeds.

jednastka
10-04-2012, 08:08 AM
There is another way. Good way to use those old lead weights we all hav hangin around.

1. Take the lure of your choice, and try to balance it on a vertical edge, say a piece of arborite or up to 1/8" plywood.
2. Find the balance point, and mark it all the way around the lure.
3. Put a piece of two sided foam tape on top of the lure.
4. Fill the kitchen sink with water, and float the lure.
5. Add different sizes of bell weights to the sticky tape until you have significantly changed the lure's floatation.
6. If the lure is the Rapala type (wire hanger integral to the lure design, running along the whole bottom), drill a suitable hole through the lure, centered in the side. If the lure has jusr screwed in hook hangers, drill a suitable hole straight up through the bottom.
7. Using 5-minute epoxy, glue the weight into the lure, leaving some excess epoxy outside.
8. When dry, sand the epoxy down, level with the original finish.
9. Using the redest nail polish you can find, finish over the epoxy.

I've done this to dozens of larger lures, especially Pikie Minnows to get them to neutral bouyancy. Then its a simple matter of adjusting the metal lip to get the depth that you want.

I know that there are stick-on lead weights also available, but you would need just too many of them to have any effect on as large, wooden crankbait.

Vic

Backbay
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I use a Rapala Super Shad Rap for the depths you're looking for, EZM.
As well, lots of other good ideas have also been mentioned: Jakes/Grandmas, Swim Whizzes/Believers, or even bulldawgs, (not a crank, of course).
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae105/backbay_photo/rapala-super-shad-rap-p1-1328785050777.jpg

chubbdarter
10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Rapala Taildancer
Koppers Live Target

EZM
10-04-2012, 06:20 PM
chubdarter ...... do they make a rapala taildancer in a 7" to 10" length? if they do I have not seen one - this is my favorite action lure and definitely runs 8'-15'.

The biggest I've seen is a 3"-4" version ............. where did you find it?