PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell 300X repairable?

wwbirds
10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
OK so I know nothing about fishing but when I lived in northern Ontario 30 years ago bought a Mitchell 300 that served me wel for over 20 years until I could no longer get parts for it.
When my teenage boy expressed an interest in fishing 4 or 5 years ago I bought him the 300X at the Fishing Hole thinking it would be good quality. It has seen limited use but this year when trying to loosen a snag off the bottom of the lake the internal part of the reel where it attached to the handle snapped off.
since it is 4-5 years old I am sure there is no warrenty. Does anyone including Mitchell fix them and are they worth fixing. I used my old 300 a lot and it withstood the test of time and use but his one for my son hardly saw use before failing.
Is this planned obsolescence or just a fluke?

Gust
10-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Can you post apic of the reel showing the damaged part?

I really like the older mitchells but they need to say france on the parts. Everyting is made in china with zero care for quality control. One of my reels is mid seventies and has never ever ever failed and has reeled in coastal fish through freshwater of every size. Old pfluegers are stunning too.

I may have the part you require.

wwbirds
10-01-2012, 09:31 PM
My Mitchell 300 was purchased in the late 70's in northern Ontario and lasted over 20 years of hard and regular use. Guess I was falsely expecting the same quality of the 300X.
Part that broke is actually inside reel where handle attaches. Believe you can see the break in the white cast metal after the threads end. Think the handle threads on the other end and the meatl peice is actually permanently attached to the inside of the reel before this broke
thanks

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/wwbirds/family/Mitchell300X001.jpg
Rob

Gust
10-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Pic not showing but I think I know what you are explaining.

The handles and aluminum parts changed over the years from a type that could bend a bit to a powder like formula that was hopelessly brittle -or rather- crumbled like clumps of brown sugar. I will go look for the part. You in cowtown or nearby?

wwbirds
10-01-2012, 11:54 PM
by langdon
thanks
Rob