PDA

View Full Version : Lakers

topgun
10-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Anybody have any insight on October laker fishing? Heading up to Pierce lk on the 11th to give it a try. Im guessing they should be on surface now. Anybody have any experience with this time of year and lakers?

EZM
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Anybody have any insight on October laker fishing? Heading up to Pierce lk on the 11th to give it a try. Im guessing they should be on surface now. Anybody have any experience with this time of year and lakers?

I don't have a copy of the sask regs, and was a little surprised to see the laker season still open (as they are fall spawners), so just double check them maybe.

As far as this time of year, you are right, they will start to come up quite a bit in October as the water temp cools.

Best methods for suspended fish are still going to be a silver spoon (coyote or williams wobbler) trailing behind a small flasher (dodger). This set up gives you a "wide action and fat wobble" lakers really like.

I like trolling the underwater canyon in Pierce - it seems to always attract fish.

If you require a "little" depth (say 15'-20' down) a 2oz-4oz banana weight in front of the dodger is the ticket when trolling. Remember to space your gear properly and use bead swivel chains to eliminate tangles.

More depth may require a dipsy or down rigger (but I doubt you will need to go much deeper).

The 1oz/2oz white jig or grub is good if you are jigging.

Bottom line is, run the lake and see where they are hanging out. That will determine your best method.

PM for more details, general areas to fish on the lake etc.. if you need more info.

topgun
10-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Thank you EZM