PDA

View Full Version : Kicker needs a Dr's. help

fishnab
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Got the bad news from the doc (repair shop), my 4.5 Merc needs surgery. It's an early 70's 2 stroke and until rescently, ran great. The Doc (mechanic) says the cost to fix is probably about what it's worth in the end. Fuel is running out the bottom of the carb while the engine is running.
So wondering if anyone knows a good mechanic working out side of the shop and on the side who could have a look and advise in the Calgary area.

Appreciate any help and pm me with any contact names.
Thanks

fishnab
10-11-2012, 08:55 AM
No one knows an outboard mechanic who does a little cash work on the side? I really don't want to write this motor off as it's in really good shape.
Your advised contact can be kept confidential if you desire.

Please PM me.

Thanks

Zanzibar
10-11-2012, 09:08 AM
If it's just fuel running out of the carb, it's either a faulty or sticking float, or the needle and seat are hanging up or worn out. Pull the carb out and have a look. The needle is probably aluminum, with a ring worn into the point where it touches the seat. Replace it with a new (hopefully neoprene) needle and seat. Set the float height to factory specs, and you should be good to go. It's not that hard to do. Good luck.