PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun regulations

boonedocks
10-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Can someone here explain to me why Wabamun lake has a maximum hook size (10 mm from point to shaft) as well as only being open to angling between sunrise and sunset ( no fishing after dark),between october 1 and November 30? I thought that this rule was to deter the snagging of whitefish which would not make much sense now that the lake is 100% catch and release for all species. Ive already got my flame suit on in the case that Im missing something. Thanks in advance.

Lefty-Canuck
10-03-2012, 10:30 PM
It is an interesting question....one I have wondered the true answer to myself.

LC

Kim473
10-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Can someone here explain to me why Wabamun lake has a maximum hook size (10 mm from point to shaft) as well as only being open to angling between sunrise and sunset ( no fishing after dark),between october 1 and November 30? I thought that this rule was to deter the snagging of whitefish which would not make much sense now that the lake is 100% catch and release for all species. Ive already got my flame suit on in the case that Im missing something. Thanks in advance.

only being open to angling between sunrise and sunset ( no fishing after dark),between october 1 and November 30?

This might be to deterr fishing for burbs. Or the local rescue people don't want to have to winterize their boat more than once a year. My bet its the burbs.

Wabamun lake has a maximum hook size (10 mm from point to shaft)

Might be that they don't want millions of hooks left on the bottom beeing lost in the weeds. Or maybe they have moved OgoPogo and didn't tell anyone.:thinking-006:

EZM
10-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Seems like an outstanding question actually. I am quite curious as to why, for only a period of two months, a hook from point to shaft, cannot exceed 10mm.

This renders many of my larger lures illegal, eliminates more than half of my tackle used in targeting pike.

I, too, am crestfallen.

Anyone care to enlighten us?

NSR Monger
10-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Ive already got my flame suit on in the case that Im missing something. Thanks in advance.

can someone tell me what this is lol

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-05-2012, 11:27 AM
That would be a good question Submitted to the questions to ask a Fish and Wildlife officer . I am very curious in knowing as well .

HILLYBILLYBARRY
10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
im shoked you dont no the answer bbj....

10-05-2012, 11:40 AM
im shoked you dont no the answer bbj....

LOL :lol: Im looking for the Answer .

perchie15
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Not everyone is a smartie pants :-):sign0161:

fishpro
10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I've heard that the maximum hook size is to prevent people from snagging whitefish while they are spawning. This may be a regulation left over from when you could keep fish from there, or it could also be a precaution so that there's one more deterrant to poachers.

waterninja
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
just talked to fish and wildlife. lady on the phone checked regs. and said it didn't make sense to her but she will ask their "fish guy" and get back to me. when i know you'll know.

waterninja
10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
a pleasent fellow from fish and wildlife just got back to me. he said these special regs. have been in place for a long time and they are to protect spawning whitefish. even though it is now all catch and release in the old days people would rip big hooks through the water to snag whitefish. today they are still in place to prevent accidental damage, and also they don't make the laws just try thier best to enforce them.

Lefty-Canuck
10-05-2012, 02:00 PM
good to know.....do they usually spawn at night too? hence the time restrictions?

LC

dragon
10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
good to know.....do they usually spawn at night too? hence the time restrictions?

LC

dont you? :thinking-006:

Thanks waterninja for looking into that!

Lefty-Canuck
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
dont you? :thinking-006:

Thanks waterninja for looking into that!

LOL....I am ready to spawn anytime....:)

LC

RavYak
10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
So do they actually uphold this regulation and do people follow it? Just measured my hooks and I don't have anything under 10 mm that a large pike would want to eat...

chriscosta
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
So do they actually uphold this regulation and do people follow it? Just measured my hooks and I don't have anything under 10 mm that a large pike would want to eat...

Yeah no kidding isnt ten mm really small

RavYak
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah no kidding isnt ten mm really small

Biggest spoon I think you can use is a size 0... That should work for small hammerhandles...

I was planning on going out to Wab a few times this fall but no point in going if I can't use any worthwhile lures though... Might have to get ahold of a CO out there and see what he says, imo this is one of those ridiculous laws/regulations that a blind eye should be turned to...

I am planning on hitting up a few lakes north of Westlock this week and going to try to find some spots on the Pembina. Probably be up in that area almost all week. If you end up going up give me a shout, I might already be up there lol.

EZM
10-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Here's an idea, because the measurment is from hook tip to nearest point on shank, bend the shafts near the point just enough to make them at, or under, 1cm. I measured a few of my rapaplas and they are "right there" and a little adjustement is all they need.

A slight inward angle on hooks that are not too far out shouldn't matter a bunch. Look at a circle hook. A 8/0 (a big one) is pretty close actually.....lol

Yeah, I know .................. here come the comments ........... I have my headgear on ........ let er' rip ...............

QIsley
10-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Can someone here explain to me why Wabamun lake has a maximum hook size (10 mm from point to shaft) as well as only being open to angling between sunrise and sunset ( no fishing after dark),between october 1 and November 30? I thought that this rule was to deter the snagging of whitefish which would not make much sense now that the lake is 100% catch and release for all species.

Yes, the intent of the regulation was to protect spawning whitefish and to combat a problem with people snagging at night, yes it is still necessary and yes it is in effect. Lots of people still poach fish at Wabamun, and get fined $1,000/fish.

Q

10-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Yes, the intent of the regulation was to protect spawning whitefish and to combat a problem with people snagging at night, yes it is still necessary and yes it is in effect. Lots of people still poach fish at Wabamun, and get fined $1,000/fish.

Q

Theres the man who has the correct answer , Tired calling your office but no one was around this afternoon .

As for the fine , Thank goodness that theres finely a county in this province that sees it fit to lay down the hammer . 1000 bucks a fish that could add up real quick .

canadiantdi
10-06-2012, 02:11 AM

Q

If someone is willing to illegally snag spawning whitefish at night, I don't think they will care if there is a ban on big hooks or night fishing.

boonedocks
10-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Alright then, thats what I figured, although I cant imagine that snagging whitefish on a catch and release lake is much of a problem anymore. Mondays trip to Wabamun is officially cancelled as my extensive pike arsenal contains nothing with legal hooks. The NSR it is, in hopes of some lunker walleye.Come on hard water!!

JohninAB
10-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank goodness that theres finely a county in this province that sees it fit to lay down the hammer . 1000 bucks a fish that could add up real quick .

Huh, counties have nothing to do with the fines at all.

This hook size regulation is antiquicated and has no relevance anymore. Lake is catch and release so cannot keep fish so if caught they can be dealt with there. Secondly, problem was at night, lake is off limits to night fishing so why the hook ban size during the day?????

Makes absolutely no sense. Just like telling the Make a Wish derby to take a hike off this lake because they are ruining the fishery. Holay, someone needs to wake up and smell the pike slime.

EZM
10-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Agreed - Certainly seems like an antiquated law at this point ...... either way it's still the law, despite the original intention at that time.

I purchased some xh gakamatsu barbless trebles (measures 12mm point to shaft) and will be bending the shank of the point to turn them down to 10mm (or under) for the lures that are currently sporting illegal gaps.

It will certainly not be an effective solution for most of my pike lures, so, I'm limited to what I'd call "standard sizes" of cranks like the 3"-4" size stuff.

I wonder if this is legal ...... (to bend in my points a bit)

Clearly my intent isn't to go out and snag a bunch of fish or break the law but that is irrelevant to the law ..... I am complying and don't want or need a fine.

Q? are you there? what's your profesional opinion on this? Do you think I'm ok here?