PDA

View Full Version : Trout ponds near Edmonton

travisj
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Anyone familar with the trout ponds in the Edmonton area? I've been to two ponds in the Morinville area with no trout success and would like some suggestions on where else to try.

mud slug
05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
theres a few in the edmonton area

hasse- perch and trout
star -trout(winter kills sometimes)
east pit-trout (foot acsess only)
peanut-trout (barhead)
beamount pond-trout
leduc pond-trout

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Lamont has a pond also I do beleave .

travisj
05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Is anyone aware if any of these lakes are free of ice yet or at least fishable from shore?

buckmaster
05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
hasse and also east pit are your best bet for trout!sring lake is also good at times.

Ayr
05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Also, Muir is worth a cast, the fish are working the shore lines, very shallow right now.....

Ayr,

05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Also, Muir is worth a cast, the fish are working the shore lines, very shallow right now.....

Ayr,

where is that this is probably the 4th or 5th time I heard about Muir lake...

Ayr
05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
BBJ,

It's west of Edmonton, approx 35kms and north of Spruce Grove, approx 8kms.

Ayr

05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
BBJ,

It's west of Edmonton, approx 35kms and north of Spruce Grove, approx 8kms.

Ayr

along hwy 37 or hwy 16 ?

Morph1
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
you can also try fishing with in city limits - Hermitage Park has now 2 stocked ponds with rainbows, I go there sometimes after work , nice park and nice little bows :lol:

05-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Which ponds are they in the big one or the one closest to the road .

Ace
05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
To get to Muir:

Take 16 West. Go north on Campsite Road (between Spruce Grove and Stony Plain). Turn left on 540. A few miles down the road takes a hard right. The entrace to Muir is on your left, just before the curve.

See ya
Ace

05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I will have to take a trip out there Except I wouldnt go thru edm on hwy 16 id be on hwy 37 from ft sask to onoway .Ok lets put it this way how much further is it from the Hwy 43 turn off on hwy 37 or do you know ?

nekred
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
From Highway 37 west from fort Sask....Turn south on 44, east at villeneve to Range Road 274 (Campsite Road) then south until 540... and follow directions the other guy gave....

frenchwhitey
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Always had pretty good success at this pond. Just north of the city on highway 28.

05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Always had pretty good success at this pond. Just north of the city on highway 28.

Is that Muir lake or pond or is it another , Hwy 28 thats the one by Gibbons isnt it ???

05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
my bad im a dumb ass , Didnt realise you were talking about Cardiff , I ice fished there this past winter and had luck purely just perch but had luck . I might take a trip out there , I figure If i fish close to home more offen I can make the longer trip less offen and stay longer , but in the mean time ill stick with what im doing .

Is Cardiff thawed I drove past there home the other week from Morinville and there was still ice, As Morinville didnt.

Rudy198
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm heading out to Muir on Sat.
I do have a spare float tube that someone could use if wanted,but you'd have to buy your own waders because i need mine for the pontoon boat.

Muir Lake isn't really a lake,it's just a big pot hole.If i had to guess i'd be saying maybe 45-65 acre size.Perfect for fly fishing,and using float tube pontoon boats as well 12ft boats.ELECTRIC MOTOR ONLY

If anyone does go you won't miss it because i'm sure it'll be packed with the nice weather.If anyone wants to come shoot me a PM...Thanks

redneck posse
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
east pit, hasse and lake eden are all ice free so i'v been told. i know eden is free went past it today

skykomish sunrise
05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
east pit, hasse and lake eden are all ice free so i'v been told. i know eden is free went past it today

FYI...Lake Eden has been a private lake for a few years now. If you know the right person there are supposed to be some beauty bows in there, but they only allow site owners fishing rights.

Doc
05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
For all the information regarding Muir Lake, check out my article here...

Muir Lake (http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm)

Cheers,
Doc

Rudy198
05-07-2008, 08:57 PM
how large of a large is Lake Eden ?Compare to Star
Is it a good float tube lake or is it too big for that?

How does a guy get out to Eden,i read 10km west of S.P turn north 2km but what road does a guy turn on to go north?

travisj
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Tried out Hasse today. No luck casting from the docks. The seagulls picked up a few dinks though.
I was looking for Spring Lake afterwards but couldn't find any access to the lake, just found the village.

Morph1
05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
BBJ !, the Hermitage ponds are now both stocked,
Last year only one pond was stocked the one right in front of you when you enter the park.
This year it's a bonus :lol:

Cheers

gonefishin
05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
how large of a large is Lake Eden ?Compare to Star
Is it a good float tube lake or is it too big for that?

How does a guy get out to Eden,i read 10km west of S.P turn north 2km but what road does a guy turn on to go north?

Eden is pretty close to the same size as Star... it's a good size for a float tube.

When you're driving west on the Yellowhead, you will see the sign for Eden Parchute Center (or somethign like that)... that's where you turn North.

deerassassin
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
another pond is the one in beumont its pretty descent

travisj
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Has anyone had much luck at any of these lakes yet this season?
It doesn't seem as if they are near the surface biting yet, so what type of set up and bait would you use for casting? Just trying to learn a few things and maybe improve my odds of catching something!

Doc
05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Has anyone had much luck at any of these lakes yet this season?
It doesn't seem as if they are near the surface biting yet, so what type of set up and bait would you use for casting? Just trying to learn a few things and maybe improve my odds of catching something!

There's no bait allowed at Muir but if you're spin casting you could try a very small brownish colored rapala to represent a stickleback minnow. I know for a fact the trout eat these as I've found many after using my throat pump on the trout.

Regulations for Muir include:

Open May 01 - Oct 31
No Bait (this restriction of bait includes powerbait, marshmallows, corn and anything with scent) Flies and lures only.
May keep one fish over 50cm (20 inches) per day.

Cheers,
Doc

buckmaster
05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Tried out Hasse today. No luck casting from the docks. The seagulls picked up a few dinks though.
I was looking for Spring Lake afterwards but couldn't find any access to the lake, just found the village.

the only way to the lake is that you have to park at the store se corner of the lake and walk a couple of blocks!!!

ukrmaf
05-10-2008, 12:05 AM
What about Vegreville resevoir, i'v heard good stuff about it in the past, but have no clue which of the three bodies of water surrounding the town are actually it?

Emerica
05-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Anyone seen anything at hermitage? I've called and the best answer I could get was the plans to stock are for the end of may/early june but no hard dates.
Would they have winter killed or is it worth checking out yet? Thanks.

The Anvil
05-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I am heading out to Hasse, Muir and Beaumont in the next few days....I will post any pics if I catch anything.... in the mean time here is one that I caught last year at the private summerside beach club just south of Ellerslie road... Summer side has a great stocked trout pond.... they only thing is that you have to be a resident or be with one who has a lake access card. Just a little one....but still worth it.

lol...........my best friend and her man have a house in summerside....the poor bugger had been fishing that lake all summer and nothing.... I fish it for one hour and caught this bow....hehehe:tongue2:

http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com/users/a1/51/52/50/album/trout310.jpg
http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com/users/a1/51/52/50/album/trout210.jpg
http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com/users/a1/51/52/50/album/summer10.jpg

redneck posse
05-10-2008, 10:31 PM
if eden is a private lake why is it still in the regs as being stocked by the alberta ministries. why should tax payers pay to stock a private lake.

Dr. Fish
05-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Just a thought but sour lake can be really good, I have had really good luck there at first ice and ice out.

Doc
05-10-2008, 11:44 PM
if eden is a private lake why is it still in the regs as being stocked by the alberta ministries. why should tax payers pay to stock a private lake.

Lake Eden is not in the 2007 stocking report nor is it listed in the ponds the ACA is involved with. You're probably thinking of Edith Lake.

Cheers,
Doc

falco
05-11-2008, 05:27 AM

Eden hasn't been stocked for at least 3 years or longer.

wake
05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Chickakoo for Brookies and Bows, and Sauer are also good for Bows.

guysmiley
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Here's a fish I pulled out of Muir last Sunday.

Slow fishing but when you get one they're big! Please excuse the hat... it happens to be lucky.

Garrick.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/guysmiley1024/imagejpeg_2.jpg

Morph1
05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Chickakoo for Brookies and Bows, and Sauer are also good for Bows.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried Chickakoo lake this season, I've been there this last weekend Saturday, got there at around 6 am , fished till 8 or 9 am haven't had a single bite and haven't seen a single rise,
seems strange apparently it has been already stocked,
anyone else has any idea whats going on with that lake ?

wake
05-12-2008, 12:14 PM
^Pardon my possible confusion on Chickakoo it is due to be stocked this week...

Ace
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey Wake,

Do you when the Leduc Resevoir is schedule to be stocked?

Thanks
Ace

wake
05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Sauer and Chickakoo are due on May 22.There are a few fish that did make it through the winter.

Leduc is listed but may not be stocked this year.low oxygen levels.

Morph1
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Hay Wake,

Do you know when Hasse and East Pit will be stocked?
much appreciated,

thanks

Appletree
06-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Say, does anyone know if the Hermitage Park ponds have been stocked yet? I've read a yes, a no and an I don't know on this thread.

wake
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Trout stocking this year is complete in the Capital region...

Hermitage is stocked.

Appletree
06-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Trout stocking this year is complete in the Capital region...

Hermitage is stocked.

That's great, thanks wake!

The Anvil
06-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Where abouts is East pit?
Been looking for it and cannot find it.

Doc
06-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Where abouts is East pit?
Been looking for it and cannot find it.

When heading west on 16, exit the highway as if heading to the town of Wabamun but instead of turning left (south), you want to turn right (north). The lake is on the west side of the road when heading north. Look for the signs. For more directions to local Edm trout lakes you can look here...

Edmonton Lakes (http://www.freewebs.com/flyfish-edmonton/edmontonlakes.htm)

Cheers,
Doc

Northern_Hunting_Mom
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
The Vegreville Trout pond south of town is fun for kids now. They stocked a couple weeks ago. Got 5 pan size for the kids to chow down on. I know there are larger fish in the centre but we don't have a boat. We caught them on elk hair caddis and floating ant.

brook trout
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
hey does any one no if theres trout in whitemud creek near edmonton:huh:

Howard Hutchinson
05-08-2009, 03:13 PM
where is that this is probably the 4th or 5th time I heard about Muir lake...
Muir lake - Take Yellowhead West to Campsite Road(2nd overpass access to Spruce Grove), take a North(right) on that overpass all the way to Township road 540 (7 kms or so). Take a left on twp 540 and you will come right to Muir Lake on the left as 540 turns into RR 275.
No gas motors or bait allowed..Good Luck John !:)

HH

fish-man
05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
hey does any one no if theres trout in whitemud creek near edmonton:huh:

there is not.

You might find pike, walleye and goldeye near the mouth of the creek.

fishunter77
06-12-2009, 09:42 PM
The vegreville reservior had winter kill this year. Went ice fishing with a camera and saw some dead ones on the bottom.:cry:

When they use to aerate it, the pond held some nice ones in the 20" range. It was not aerated this year.

TrollGRG
06-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I will have to take a trip out there Except I wouldnt go thru edm on hwy 16 id be on hwy 37 from ft sask to onoway .Ok lets put it this way how much further is it from the Hwy 43 turn off on hwy 37 or do you know ?

To make it simple for you - just continue on Hwy 37. At Calahoo go south on Range Road 275. If you don't make the hard left turn after 6 miles you will be up to your axles in the lake :D . Make that turn and an immediate right into the parking lot.

Please use the parking lot - lately there have been a lot of people parking down by the launch area and blocking the road. Will have to get the county to replace the "No Parking" signs.

Tight Lines...