PDA

View Full Version : Fly in destinations

Skidog
10-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey all, lookin to line up a fly in trip in the spring, we like the rustic destinations with just a cabin and boats, no lodge needed here but willing to try one. Have done a couple trips north of fort Chip but looking for feed back on where others may have been. Would be interested in AB or SASK.
Thanks

fishpro
10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
I did a trip with Mikisew Sport Fishing once, great value and great fishing. Selwyn Lake Lodge in Saskatchewan is great - I worked there one summer. If you do consider going to a lodge I would recommend making a list of things that are important to you and then call/email places and see if they have what you want. For example, some things I would ask would be:

-How long are the fishing days? (especially for those who just want to eat, sleep, and fish)
-How long are the boat rides? (eats up fishing time)
-How much site fishing is possible?
-Do you have the option between shores lunches and packed lunches?
-If you want to target a certain species for the majority of the time there, is it possible? This can be an issue if there are only a few places near the lodge you can fish for them and many guests want to target them.

I have gone to a lodge without asking about these things in detail and been quite disappointed. The DIY places are great if you want to fish all day, yet being guided can be great if you want to just focus on fishing and not worry about boat control and all that (great for pike fishing in the shallows).

Peace Country
10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Hello Skidog I just bought a fishing lodge in the NWT on a lake called Aylmer Lake if you are interested in more information about what we have to offer, PM me.

Safety D
10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Bistcho is where its at !!!!!! Wouldnt go to Mikisew again. To much of a gong show and confusion with the people running that show.

pickrel pat
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Bistcho is where its at !!!!!! Wouldnt go to Mikisew again. To much of a gong show and confusion with the people running that show.

x2, thurston is better imo, but have not been there for 25 years,lol, used to fly in to thurston,(there is/was a small airstrip), there would be a couple aluminum boats left there, we would bring a tent and sleeping bags,food, tackle, and a 9.9 boat motor. Big pike and walleye. sometimes we would go up the river(petiot maybe?) about a half mile and stay in the cabin. definatly 30 lb plus pike in there, as a family friend caught a couple. very rustic. atleast it used to be, like i said, been 25 years. I just might have to check it out again!

Skidog
10-04-2012, 06:27 PM
We did burstall a couple times loved the fact it was only us on the lake, went through mikesew, wasn't terrible but it was a little disorganised. Who flys into bistcho/thurston and how many cabins are there?

OCB.C.
10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
You looking for semi guided, or a full guided drop camp?

Stally77
10-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I would recommmend Cree Lake SK. Boreal Camps. Great lake for Trophy Lake trout and pike. The outfitter has gps and maps of all the hot spots but your on your own up there, no schedule, fish when u want to. Might be booking for next year already but worth the wait.

Skidog
10-07-2012, 07:58 PM
We have always gone to places that are on our own like Stally has suggested, which I will check out thanks Stally. The thing we like about it is you set your own schedule and it adds to the adventure in my mind. Thanks for all the suggestions I will probably check them all.