PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sharks/Nova Scotia

abhunt
10-06-2012, 12:13 AM
First of all thanks to all the AO members that pointed me in the right direction for a good outfitter for this trip.

We spent all day 20 miles off the coast of Halifax fishing for blue sharks.My wife enjoys fishing as much as I do so it was no problem talking her into it.
Started out kind of slow in the morning but after a couple hours the sharks started to show up.Started off with a couple smaller ones but as the day went on they seemed to get bigger and bigger.They ranged in size from approximately 30-125 pounds.After we reeled in the first couple,the guide asked if I knew how to use a fly rod.When I said yes he got out a 10wt fly rod and started hooking me up on that.The wife tried it but had a hard time with it so she used the heavier gear.I managed to land 3 in the hundred pound range on the fly before tiring out.Also had 2 more snap me off.Definately the biggest fish I ever caught on the fly.Took close to an hour to reel in the bigger ones.You would get them up to the boat and think they were done,then all of a sudden they were 250yds out again.My arms were sore for days afterwards.That is a good kind of pain though.All fish were tagged and released.2 of them were fitted with radio tags and the rest were fitted with numbered tags.
By the end of the day we landed 10 and lost 6 others.

Definately the trip of a lifetime!!!! Can take that one off my bucket list!!

Some pics.Enjoy

abhunt
10-06-2012, 12:16 AM
some more pics

B_Type13X2
10-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Looks fun something I would like to try, as long as all the sharks are released afterwards it would be a great way to spend the day. I take it your guide just sort of chummed the water and then you waited for it?

WayneChristie
10-06-2012, 08:22 AM
thanks for sharing, now thats a great way to spend the day. missed the season by just a few days when I did my basic training and always regretted not be able to catch some.

tight line
10-06-2012, 09:27 AM
awesome pics, been meaning to go do that when im out east!

the local angler
10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
really?? are you kidding fly rod for shark? wow thats got to be one of the best adreneline things to do. never thought of it now its on my bucket list. great pics. did you have to carry a lot of line or a standard size reel is sufficient?

abhunt
10-06-2012, 06:47 PM
You need alot of line as when they go on a run they go for several hundred yards sometimes.They can have you into the backing in a few seconds when they decide to go and believe me they can go!!
Had one 100+ on for over an hour and lost it.Thought the line broke but found that he had straightened out a stainless steel hook.Geuss I horsed him a little too much.
By 3:00 we were both tuckered out so the guide rigged up for tuna and we trolled the 2 hours back to port.Never had any tuna hit our lines but did see a few biggees rolling on the surface near us.Probably a good thing we never hooked into one as I don't know if I had the strength left for a 4hr fight with a tuna.
Also seen whales and dolphins several time throughout the day.
I think I am still grinning ear to ear when I think about the day we had!!

untaken_moniker
10-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Thats amazing! I know what i'm doing nest time i'm back in Hali! Congrats on what i'm sure was a beautiful day of fishing

junglejay7320
10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
mind me asking,what's a full day charter worth???
also the outfitters company's name???
thanx junglejay...

Alberta Bigbore
10-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Looks Fun, congrats.

abhunt
10-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Blue Shark Charters(Art Gaeten) was the outfitter.
Was kinda pricey but hey ya only live once....
Here is a link to the website
www.bluesharkcharters.com
The prices are on the website.

Art is a nice guy and has been fishing these sharks for many years.
He is also very flexible when it comes to bad weather.
The date we originally booked was just as the hurricane was going by and it rained for a few days.We waited for a nice day a few days after and as it turned out,was the nicest day in the 2 weeks we were there.

All sharks are tagged and released as part of a study being done by one of the universities.

They occasionally catch Makko sharks as well.
I believe they are the only ones doing shark fishing in the area.There used to be a few guys doing it but he is the only one in the Halifax area i believe.

Wild&Free
10-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm so jelly bro.

Looks like a great trip and a lot of fun. Fishing til your arms are dead is always a good time.

tight line
10-08-2012, 07:26 AM
wow, pretty pricey! but still well worth it in my opinion especially for how many you caught! gotta try that, shark on a flyrod! lol Catching a shark is on my bucket list! if you are interested in catching a Giant bluefin head to PEI next time your out there. im from there originally and fish for tuna every year, with my dad and his friends who fish for them commercially. fighting one is a unreal experience...caught and released a 6-700lber this year, about 1 hour fight horsing him in, for a quick release... next on my list is fighting one with a stand up harness! we hooked one the other year 5.5hours, and lost him at the boat...we were gonna keep that one...lol.there is alot of charters there, we fished beside them this year and they all hooked up, pretty funny watching someone fight one standup, good thing your tied to the boat...lol. tonystunacharters.com charters for 1400 a day, but you are only aloud 1-2 fish a day,so is pricey as well. http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t485/shortsvm/Picture315_zps4b505547.jpg

lone wolf
10-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Awesome photos and story. Catching them on the fly rod must have been an absolute riot !! Thanks for sharing !!