PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line/Primer Issue

RavYak
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
When fixing my boat up I relocated my fuel tank back to the bow of the boat. After a couple trips I have started to remember an issue that we used to have with this. That being that the fuel line loses pressure over such a long distance and the motor will start to starve for gas.

Does anyone know if this could be fixed by moving the primer bulb which is about a foot from the tank back closer to the motor? Not sure if this would help or make it worse, it would make it a lot easier to reprime then having to climb up to the bow to do it. Any other fixes that might help?

Its more a pain then anything, every once in a while the motor will start to chug and just have to go give the primer a few pumps but would be nice to avoid this.

deanmc
10-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Your fuel pump on the engine may be weak. That will cause the same problem.

Stu
10-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Position the fuel tank at a higher elevation than the outboard and see if that helps. If it works better above the outboard then x2 on deanmc's comment about the fuel pump.

Donkey Slayer
10-07-2012, 11:12 AM
make sure your vent on the tank is opened enough

Rick.
10-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Distance from tank to bulb or motor to bulb would not be an issue. The bulb is much handier closer to the engine. Your fuel line only has pressure between the bulb and the carb. until the motor starts. From there on it is a suction line. So if your loosing pressure it is probably your carb. float not closing. You could also be sucking air at any of your hose connections so they are worth checking as well. Best of luck. Rick.

Kim473
10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Distance from tank to bulb or motor to bulb would not be an issue. The bulb is much handier closer to the engine. Your fuel line only has pressure between the bulb and the carb. until the motor starts. From there on it is a suction line. So if your loosing pressure it is probably your carb. float not closing. You could also be sucking air at any of your hose connections so they are worth checking as well. Best of luck. Rick.

X2

I would say tho, as above or as mentioned in other posts, Fuel Pump. May be able to get a fuel pump rebuild kit for it. Should only be a couple of gaskets and a diaframe. Should be cheap. Check your filters also. If it's pluged, may be causing the problem. Is there a filter in the tank and is the tank metal and rusty? This could be causing low fuel flow. I would check filters first then go to the other things mentioned. Cheap fix if it's a fuel filter problem.