PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing Roe Bags

BeeGuy
10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Anyone ever use roe bags for ice fishing trout in AB?

Anyone ever use a circle hook with a row bag instead of egg hooks or octopus hook?

Wild&Free
10-07-2012, 12:44 PM
So long as the roe bag is nice and tight I don't see an issue using a circle hook. Bait Knot might be tricky though. As for using roe through the ice, I never have, shrimp, hot dogs, cheese, and freezer burnt meat always worked well for me and I hate tying up roe bags.

I think they would be effective at ice on infront of inlet streams, and same again later on in the year, just before it gets unsafe late, if burbot are present in the lake.

fish gunner
10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Anyone ever use roe bags for ice fishing trout in AB?

Anyone ever use a circle hook with a row bag instead of egg hooks or octopus hook?

single eggs were working late last season on dickson.
have used circle hooks with roe bags in ontario for steelhead. I had no issues winding down to the fish,gave others in my group kiniptions, they could not overcome the strike reaction.

Vessey
10-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I have been using them for two winters now but don't think I will get more. They work ok but no better then any other bait I usually use.

Wild&Free
10-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I have been using them for two winters now but don't think I will get more. They work ok but no better then any other bait I usually use.

and other bait is much nicer to handle.