PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

FishinCrazyy
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I am looking to buy a new boat and I am leaning towards the jon boats at the moment. What are some pros/cons with them? I will be fishing mostly lakes probably no river fishing, I've heard the flat bottom jons are rough on lakes but I've seen ones with a more v shape now, are they any good? Any advice or opinions would help me out thanks.

B_Type13X2
10-08-2012, 02:14 PM
They are going to be rougher on lakes and brutally rough when you get a small amount of wind, if there is any wave activity you will feel the it. If your mainly lake fishing I don't really see the pro's of going for a flat bottom boat out weighing the cons,I'd look at a different hull configuration for sure.

EZM
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I think a jon isn't the way to go if you are mostly on lakes, and for most rivers for that matter. Jons were primarily designed for shallow swamps and calm water. They are very stable and great for hunting out of, but a little chop, current and wind and they might be a little precarious.

I'd definitely consider a vee bottom tinner - I'd offer it's a much better boat for Alberta for most applications.

YeeHaw
10-10-2012, 03:07 PM
If most of your time is going to be on lakes, get a "V" hull.

RavYak
10-10-2012, 03:18 PM
As above v hull would be best, not sure if you are planning on a new boat or if a used one would suffice but Kijiji has some good deals right now. I just picked up another boat so I can combine it with my current setup to make a really nice boat and will sell the leftover this fall or next spring and hopefully break even. Just watch the ads come up and try to get the first reply, if you can do that you can often strike up a deal pretty quick and knock a bit off the price. If you are unsure of values watch it for a week or two and you will see the guys that are priced too high post their units over and over and get a feel for what sells quickly.

Mariette
10-11-2012, 03:32 PM
If most of your time is going to be on lakes, get a "V" hull.

X2 I am scared sh#$%less of waves but somehow it doesn't bother me in our 21.5 crestliner.... Deep V is the best for lakes.

FishinCrazyy
10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Alrighty well i will take your advice Rav and watch on Kijiji. Thanks for the input.

FishinCrazyy
10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
If it was a shallow v or a deep v how much difference would there be between the two?

RavYak
10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Shallow vs deep will only make a slight difference. If you are only looking for a 12-14 foot aluminum you won't have that much choice in the matter(majority of them are the same).