PDA

View Full Version : Best pound test for cold fishing

neekrivers
10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi I was wondering what is the best test line for fishing when the temps get cold, should I increase to a stronger line like 20 lb or 30lb.....reason I'm asking is last night I was fishing and brand new line on reel, 10 lb test and I caught 2 fish that easily snapped my line, I gave up after this becase thats 2 fish with 2 of my hooks. So please educate me on best practice for cold, winter fishing.

New Hunter Okotoks
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
It really depends on what size of fish you are targeting.

npauls
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Probably a bad batch of line or bad knots .

I use the same line all year long.

Geezle
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Also depends on the line you're using.

Are you using mono, or one of the braided/super lines?

RavYak
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Adjust your drag...

Or you can go buy 20-30 lb braid but your only problem right now is that you have your drag set too high. 10 lb should be able to catch just about any fish out there(unless it is old weak line).

DiabeticKripple
10-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Anyone have an issue of when it gets cold, your line starts to slip around the reel? If I hooked a fish on a cold day, it could just peel line because all it does is spin. Warm days its fine. I bet it has to do with the metal contracting. Maybe I should freeze my reel, and then spool the line on?

neekrivers
10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I am using a 10lb Trilene XL smooth casting, and Im not sure of the name of te knot I tie, but I take the end of the line double it, and tie itself through the hole, so I can replace lures,swivels whatever without wasting line i can just slip it back off. Maybe I should be using a different knot you think? or was it just bad luck last night, but the line did sem to snap easier than normal with just my hands pulling on it.

neekrivers
10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
My drag wasn't tight but maybe I need to let loose a little more then in the cold, thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. this should help me land more now in the cold.

Geezle
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Anyone have an issue of when it gets cold, your line starts to slip around the reel? If I hooked a fish on a cold day, it could just peel line because all it does is spin. Warm days its fine. I bet it has to do with the metal contracting. Maybe I should freeze my reel, and then spool the line on?

Braided/super lines are notorious for slipping on the spool. There are 2 possible solutions. First one is when you're spooling up your reel put on a few yards of mono first, then tie on your braid and fill'er up. Option 2 is to tie on your braid with an arbor knot, then put a piece of tape over the line on the spool, and then fill it up :)

Guitarplayingfish
10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
technically speaking you didn't catch them if they snapped you off :thinking-006:

Just saying.

What are you planning on targetting?

RavYak
10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I am using a 10lb Trilene XL smooth casting, and Im not sure of the name of te knot I tie, but I take the end of the line double it, and tie itself through the hole, so I can replace lures,swivels whatever without wasting line i can just slip it back off. Maybe I should be using a different knot you think? or was it just bad luck last night, but the line did sem to snap easier than normal with just my hands pulling on it.

Need a better explanation of the knot but that sounds like it might be part of your problem, never seen a reusable knot(nor should you want to use one as each time you tie it it will weaken the line a little bit).

Use an improved clinch knot, sure you have to retie it every time but it is quick and easy(and you can tie on a leader or a swivel snap if you want to be able to switch lures easily).

DiabeticKripple
10-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Braided/super lines are notorious for slipping on the spool. There are 2 possible solutions. First one is when you're spooling up your reel put on a few yards of mono first, then tie on your braid and fill'er up. Option 2 is to tie on your braid with an arbor knot, then put a piece of tape over the line on the spool, and then fill it up :)

Thanks dude exactly what I was looking for. It is braid, so ill just put it on a spool, tape the first wrap down, then respool my reel.

Mike_W
10-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Only knot to use is the palomar knot quick amd super strong.

That said 20 lb braid like a power pro and 15 ft of flurocarbon leader in 20 lb is all I use for jigging at Cold lake

Woody_16
10-12-2012, 11:24 AM
This website will help you a ton if you are unfamiliar with knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

As a few guys mentioned, palomar and improved clinch are good for attaching lures/swivels and the arbor is very handy for attaching line to the spool of your reel.

neekrivers
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
awsome thanks everyone,

and guitarplayingfish ...yes technically I didnt catch them, mostly fishing for wally and pikes, been casting grubs and fake minnows, tried spoons but no luck.

I think I will try one of these other knot options. :)

cranky
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Im actually having the same problem since re spooling one of my reels with new line,same stuff ive used for years. 10lb trilene xl. Keeps breaking at the knot(improved clinch) on colder days. Soon as it warms up its fine.
Went back to another spool with old line on,same stuff and brand and no problem. Im wondering if there is such a thing as a bad batch of line or?

ice
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Line can become deteriated in time and sittin in the sun, Aswell as going through too many battles with fish,
Try cutting 12 ft off and m put a palomar on it, if it still breaks id say the line is no good, I generally scrap any line thats around 2 years old. I know some guys that keep it for 3.

WayneChristie
10-12-2012, 07:52 PM
there have been a few bad batches of trilene in the last couple years. no way should you be able to easily break 10 pond mono with your hands, without cutting yourself. if you are after pike they might be biting your lures off too, not breaking the line. use a leader, and then you can change your lures easily too

ice
10-12-2012, 08:02 PM
there have been a few bad batches of trilene in the last couple years. no way should you be able to easily break 10 pond mono with your hands, without cutting yourself. if you are after pike they might be biting your lures off too, not breaking the line. use a leader, and then you can change your lures easily too

I ended up with a few of those had some that was so bad It could barely take the stress of pulling an UNI tight...

pelada trochu
10-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Agree with wayne.

Tie it on grab your hook and pull. I use 12 lb and boat everything out there. But mono must be checked periodically. Pike will clean it off like nobodys business with no leader. What type of reel.

Wild&Free
10-13-2012, 05:39 PM
I am using a 10lb Trilene XL smooth casting,

I spooled that stuff up once a few years back. After 2 outings I replaced it with something that didn't break under the slightest stress.

NSRfishing
10-13-2012, 06:47 PM
nanofil good for cold weather and ice