PDA

View Full Version : World Record Burbot Mount

fishinggeek
10-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Well here she is. I was really impressed with the job. Mount was done by advanced taxidermy in toronto. Ill be building a display background as soon as i can. Mount will probably be on display at the fishinghole in saskatoon as soon as the display is done.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/burbotmount086.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/burbotmount074.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/burbotmount070.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/burbotbob.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/what-a-tank.jpg

Sloughsharkjigger
10-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Really nice!! Did not even hear you caught the monster in the first place. When did you catch?

Kokanee9
10-13-2012, 10:28 AM
That looks excellent!

fish gunner
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
holy snapping ice holes fish man. what a slab ling. just another WR for the fishgeeks.lol. congrats, outstanding mount.

azn_rice_man
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Awesome job on the catch!!!

Dust1n
10-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Seen that one Facebook! What a beast

Pikey
10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Very nice, don't see too many burbot mounts.....An amazing fish there!

Teamprotz
10-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Looks great , but when you said $1500 , I expected some background. Looks even bigger than the original pics ! Looks almost as long as you , wow !

gramps73
10-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Nice fish, what did it weigh

Alberta Bigbore
10-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Amazing!!

Rustomatic
10-13-2012, 03:19 PM
is that a replica or skin mount, wouldn't mind a replica mount some day,
nice catch by the way

Geezle
10-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Looks awesome man!

fishinggeek
10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Fish weighed 25.2lbs and this is a replica mount. Ive seen some burbot skin mounts and really disliked them.

klow
10-13-2012, 04:18 PM
That is a monster!

FlareKing
10-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Wow

Speckle55
10-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Grats Sean .. it's one Big Burb !! so how you going to mount?

David:)

Safety D
10-13-2012, 08:18 PM
That things ugly !!!! Just think of the poor mans lobster you would get off of it !!! Yummy !!!

WayneChristie
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
awesome fish!

ice
10-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Wow, people are catching wr's an I can hardly catch the damn things lol

bisonhunter
10-13-2012, 09:21 PM
" Here there be monsters!"

That thing is absolutely beautiful. My hat is off to you lads and the talent you have for figuring out big fish. I just love the pics you guys post, thanks for sharing.

New Hunter Okotoks
10-13-2012, 09:29 PM
That right there, is proof that a Replica can do the original fish Justice.

I love the coloring and the sheen that is on that mount. I don't think that a better job could have been done on it. Most times, you do get what you pay for. I know that I have spent $1500 in worse ways!

Congrats on how everything worked out. From getting the WR from the effort you guys put in, to the awesome job on the mount; it doesn't get much better than that!

Thank You for sharing the story with us from the beginning to the end.

NHO.

boonedocks
10-13-2012, 09:58 PM
That is by far the best burbot mount that I have ever seen. I am presently waiting on a replica from Advanced of my PB pike of 20lbs 5oz that I caught through the ice in Wabamun last winter. I cant wait. Best of luck, keep busting records.

tight line
10-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Awesome mount... Doesnt even compare to the live pic of you holding him! UnreaL burb! Congrats!

OneGirlWolfPack
10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Beautiful mount! Congrats! :)

EORE
10-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Grate looking mount anyone find the head to be to small?

ryisnky
10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Very Cool; looks good!!

marlin1
10-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I've seen some big burbs but that one is friggin huge , very nice

mulie4x4
10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice, good for you.

WayneChristie
10-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Grate looking mount anyone find the head to be to small?

nah I dont think hes that tall :bad_boys_20:

Buck Krazy
10-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Nice lookin fish my friend!

Kim473
10-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Very Very nice fishinggeek!
Any record you don't have?

waterninja
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
the fish in yhe pic. actually looks bigger than the mount you got. what a beauty. did you have to keep the original for proof or did you release. from your previous posts i would bet that you would have released if you could have. congrats.

Kim473
10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Sorry! not trying to derail the thread.

Great mount.

fishinggeek
10-15-2012, 01:01 PM
the fish in yhe pic. actually looks bigger than the mount you got. what a beauty. did you have to keep the original for proof or did you release. from your previous posts i would bet that you would have released if you could have. congrats.

We will be keeping all fish that are all tackle world records. Rainbow burbot.... all others we let go. When we hook into that 41 lb brown trout, you bet were keeping it. lol. :sHa_shakeshout: You need to weight an all tackle fish on a certified scale with at least 3 witnesses and a bioligist to verify species.

As for the pic looking bigger, just hold the fish out in the pic, makes the fish look bigger than it really is. lol. Weight is what you should be going by when you see a pic of a fish. when you see a pic of a large animal that was shot, where is the shooter in the pic? Behind the animal so it looks bigger than what it really is.
This Burbot was 41inch long and with a CRAZY 25.5inch girth. This is why the head looks small for the body. Almost any world record fish needs to have an unreal girth to be an all tackle record. I always wonder if this burbot was a triploid fish.

NSR Monger
10-15-2012, 01:05 PM
We will be keeping all fish that are all tackle world records. Rainbow burbot.... all others we let go. When we hook into that 41 lb brown trout, you bet were keeping it. lol. :sHa_shakeshout: You need to weight an all tackle fish on a certified scale with at least 3 witnesses and a bioligist to verify species.

little confused, you kept the fish but got a replica??

waterninja
10-15-2012, 01:07 PM
good luck with that brownie. if anyone can you can. saw you post some pics. of one a while back that might of been a prov. record but you released instead.

fishinggeek
10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
little confused, you kept the fish but got a replica??

Try and find someone that will do a good job on a skin mount burbot. GOOD LUCK. I wasn't about to have a skin mount made and have a chance that it wouldn't of bin a good mount. This fish was way to valuable to take that chance. :)
All our 40lb rainbows we have caught are replicas also. Think were at 5 now. If you mould a fish you cannot do a skin mount, but you can get multiple replica mounts made of the same fish if you want more than one. We will be getting a 2nd burbot mount made next year for less than half price because the mould is already made.

Sundancefisher
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
That fish is the bomb.

It is big enough you could melt it down and make 100 thermometers.

Can't imagine seeing that fish under the hole at Pine Coulee. It would take up half the lake!

NSR Monger
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Try and find someone that will do a good job on a skin mount burbot. GOOD LUCK. I wasn't about to have a skin mount made and have a chance that it wouldn't of bin a good mount. This fish was way to valuable to take that chance. :)

so the only reason you kept it was for the verification?

Speckle55
10-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Sean how you going to mount in display .. you thought about that yet.. drift wood and cat-tails.. just wondering ?

David:)

manyshotz
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Gorgeous mount! I caught a 10lb one once & thought it was something, that one is so big, I bet the picture weighed 5ibs. LOL

fishinggeek
10-15-2012, 02:24 PM
so the only reason you kept it was for the verification?

Yes.
And i dont think your understanding. I wanted the best mount possible. I called over 12 shops to ask to mount the burbot. half wouldn't because they never did a burbot mount the other didn't promise a good mount and didn't do replicas. :)
I called advanced in toronto. they did all of cabelas mounts in canada. They said they mounted 1 other burbot. they promissed a good mount ONLY if it was a replica.
Now in order to get a EXACT mount of the burbot i had only one option with advanced to get a good mount.
You cannot get a replica of ANY fish unless the shop has a mould already there made of a fish that was kept from a previous angler and moulded and had the same dimensions and weight of the fish you want replicated.
The only reason we are able to get a mount of the 21lb brown i caught and released, is because someone else kept a fish just like mine and kept it and got a mould done of it. They just need to increase the kype of that fish to replicate mine.:)
Hope this answered you question. lol.

And David
I will be making a glass case and yes problably driftwood as background. i will have to see when it comes down to it and what i can find.

NSR Monger
10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Hope this answered you question. lol.

lol well pretty much, that is one sweet catch man, infact if its a world record no one has experienced that catch before. why wouldnt you want to put it back so someone can experience the exhilaration of the catch like you did? I have never understood mounts and probably never will, (unless its replica, and fish was released)

Consider this for a minute.......mayb someone caught that same fish a week before you did, if they never put it back, you would never get to share this story.......

lol like where is the logic in "oh man this fish is so amazing! LETS KILL IT!!!! "

that fish was probably like what, 20 years old?? Did you eat it even??

Personally that picture of you holding the beast is 1000 times nicer then a mount and $1500 cheaper as well

EDIT: This forum is FULL of opinions, and this is just mine........you are free to have your own opinion and that is fine. If you wish to defend your opinion in a friendly argument that is even better :fighting0074: lol

RUBBERDUCKY
10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
:party0051:

fishinggeek
10-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Consider this for a minute.......mayb someone caught that same fish a week before you did, if they never put it back, you would never get to share this story.......

It actually was caught 2.5 months before i caught it. LMAO. For Real.

A friend of my bro, his friend caught it, guy let it go not taking any girth pics, so it didn't count and wouldn't pass for a prov record or world record. They weighted the fish at 24.8lbs. Adam and i heard about it and seen pics, then we lived at dief every weekend sleeping in our vehicals from friday till sunday. till we caught that same fish on closing weekend. NOW THATS A STORY.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::

NSR Monger
10-15-2012, 03:24 PM
It actually was caught 2.5 months before i caught it. LMAO. For Real.

lol so why not let someone else catch it!!! why make it your mission to go kill that fish and put it on your wall!!! lol so confusing :angry3:

Here is something else i'm confused about........

"Additional Restrictions:

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot)."

obviously this wouldnt apply to you for 2 reasons, its a burb and it was caught in sask and I dont know the regs for that lake, but doesnt that make mounts illegal unless its a replica and fish released, or

Saltmania
10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Great mount, Amazing fish. Thanks for posting.

Serengeti Charters
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Because in order for him to get it certified world record he had to keep it to get weighed and looked at by a biologist!!!!!! He already said that :lol: And I don't blame him one bit...If I had a WR salmon on or another species you bet it'd be getting verified WR...or else someone would just call it a "fishing story"

Dust1n
10-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Monger, your saying if you caught a World record pike you wouldn't keep it?
You guys don't even know how many big fish these guys release. (a lot)
Give your heads a shake
Haters gonna hate haha:argue2:

Dust1n
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Give your heads a shake

Also how do you register for a world record if the fish is catch and release like sturgeon?

NSR Monger
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
.or else someone would just call it a "fishing story"

who cares what a bunch of people on the internet think, he will always know he caught it, plus the picture isnt proof??!?!

you are right, I do hate people that KILL animals other then for the purpose of eating them......that is not directed at fishinggeeks, I do no know if he ate it or not

Also how do you register for a world record if the fish is catch and release like sturgeon?

ummmm, no I wouldnt keep it?!?! this was a friendly argument between me and him, but If you wanna butt in thats ok I guess..........no i wouldnt keep it, because I dont need a huge ugly pike on my wall. No more then I would want a huge ugly burbot on my wall. Also my wife would never let me put a dead fish on the wall.

Mayb someday if YOU are REALLY LUCKY, when you are walking down the street someone will kill you cuz they think you are so nice looking and put you on their wall

ANNNNND this is my personal opinion, but I would have a million times more satisfaction taking a couple pics and watching the beast swim away, maybe thats just because I respect nature, something you can obviously not say

EORE
10-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Give your heads a shake

It would be a length catch and release record. There's categories for almost everything. Remember it is only a record if it's registered with one of the record keeping associations. Lots of world records get released or eaten and never registered. Just talk to some old timers.

Wolverine Boy
10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Amazing fish! Congrats!

I love Burbot - we target them all the time.

We've been fishing for them for years but I've never hooked anything like that.

That's also one of the only replicas I've ever liked - it looks fantastic!

Chris84
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Mayb someday if YOU are REALLY LUCKY, when you are walking down the street someone will kill you cuz they think you are so nice looking and put you on their wall

ANNNNND this is my personal opinion, but I would have a million times more satisfaction taking a couple pics and watching the beast swim away, maybe thats just because I respect nature, something you can obviously not say

That's a pretty extreme analogy for defending whether or not someones keeping a fish!

Geek, looks great! I was kinda wondering how that would turn out

burbotman
10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Simply outstanding!!!!! I have been waiting anxiously to see the finished mount and it does not dissapoint.

Be glad you went with the replica, I had a skin mount done on a 40.5" 16.5lb burb back in 96. The head really shrunk down in the preservation process and the mount never came close to capturing the magnificance of the fish--yours does!

I recall the feeling when I brought my big (for me) burb through the ice, I cannot imagine how seeing that WR come up felt.

I think the fishing community would be poorer if this fish was not kept--It shows the potential size of these fish. I also think the geeks have done allot to elavate Burbot as a sport fish, not just food.

Great job and thank you so much for sharing!

My question---Do you think there are larger ones swimming in Dief or other waters?
(Interesting point about the possiblity of being a trip)

houndsmen
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
. Also my wife would never let me put a dead fish on the wall.

That explains alot I guess.

houndsmen
10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Simply outstanding!!!!! I have been waiting anxiously to see the finished mount and it does not dissapoint.

Be glad you went with the replica, I had a skin mount done on a 40.5" 16.5lb burb back in 96. The head really shrunk down in the preservation process and the mount never came close to capturing the magnificance of the fish--yours does!

I recall the feeling when I brought my big (for me) burb through the ice, I cannot imagine how seeing that WR come up felt.

I think the fishing community would be poorer if this fish was not kept--It shows the potential size of these fish. I also think the geeks have done allot to elavate Burbot as a sport fish, not just food.

My question---Do you think there are larger ones swimming in Dief or other waters?
(Interesting point about the possiblity of being a trip)

Great post and I agree with all of the above!

fishinggeek
10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't know if there is another burb right now that could compete with this one in weight. I know there are 42 inchers out there we have caught and released but just don't have the girth. Maybe in march, right before spawn there might be another, just we have caught and released at least 500 with the 2 closet being just under 20lbs with the same length or longer than the w record. I remember pulling her up and getting ***** of her, I had no doubt that fish. Was the one. - guess time will tell if another freek is pulled from dief.

BGSH
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
who cares what a bunch of people on the internet think, he will always know he caught it, plus the picture isnt proof??!?!

you are right, I do hate people that KILL animals other then for the purpose of eating them......that is not directed at fishinggeeks, I do no know if he ate it or not

ummmm, no I wouldnt keep it?!?! this was a friendly argument between me and him, but If you wanna butt in thats ok I guess..........no i wouldnt keep it, because I dont need a huge ugly pike on my wall. No more then I would want a huge ugly burbot on my wall. Also my wife would never let me put a dead fish on the wall.

get a life mongo

Fishnafterwork
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
SICK SICK SICK
:sHa_shakeshout:
I love burbot!
everything about them.....they are just the coolest fish...their skin is cool, their muscle structure is crazy, fun to fish for, they put up a great tug, taste delish, and what other fish has orgys...haha

awsome mount so nicely done!!
although i think the fishnhole saskatoon is a bad idea.....it would look much better in a glass case as my coffee table....and just for the record my wife would dig that too ....haha:scared0018:

so far I've never met a burbot that wanted to go back.....

as far as the picture goes ......its amazing ...i have to admit from the pic i saw i thought the mount was gonna be a bit bigger of a fish.....but then look at that top shot!!!! wow this is my fav....what a girth!! As a photographer i feel you would be doing a disservice by not doing everything in your power to catch the best possible shot...long story short ...I hate the picking about holding the fish out....if u are going to the effort to take the picture at least make it a good still right?....I say stick that sucker out...many pictures can prove this...

as far as the mount goes... its amazing as well !! such nice colouring its obvious your homework paid off fishing geek worth every penny if you ask me:) x2 on the replica mounts ..nevermind the fact that 20 years of age makes real mounts ....ugly to say the least...replicas are way nicer right from new as the artist has full control of colour!....imo

something tells me the alberta record burbot is out there with my name on it...:)

fishinggeek....do you guy catch any burbot in the rivers or pretty much just at the lake? does anybody tag these fish or have any idea of their migration in the rivers?
well I'm in awe....MARIAH MARIAH

burbotman
10-16-2012, 06:24 AM
"Cauaght and released over 500". How many other fisherman release burbot...

You truely deserve this record.

Marlin07
10-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Great looking mount! Where do you hide that horse shoe again?

iliketrout
10-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Awesome mount and congrats on the record!

Lefty-Canuck
10-16-2012, 07:58 AM
NSR Monger..... coming on here attacking and questioning the "geeks" ethics is in bad taste and poor class.

FYI, when you create a post like that on a forum you are inviting people to comment.....if you sent a PM then it is only between you and the "geeks".

So now you insult the "geeks" and the entire forum for seeing your attack post....

Class act from a guy who doesn't know what a Rocky Mountain Whitefish looks like....:)

.....and yes you will never live that one down.....

LC :)

Saltmania
10-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Monger, you need to get a life. Fishing Geeks have earned my respect with their great contributions to this forum. They share amazing pictures and stories and do so without berating others. Unfortunately, you can't say the same.

LCCFisherman
10-16-2012, 03:38 PM
The geeks definately have a love/hate relationship and nothing in between it seems. We all know alof of stories both good and bad.

pickrel pat
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Congratz geeks! and to the guy who's wife will not allow a fish on the wall...... dont surprise me one bit! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

208prov
10-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Looks great , but when you said $1500 , I expected some background. Looks even bigger than the original pics ! Looks almost as long as you , wow !
I got a 46'' northern done from them and mine was 1500 with a awsome back ground.

ianwuzhere
10-16-2012, 08:03 PM
we've got em 38" long but never even close to that girth - or even 20 pounds..

thats wicked- good job!
keep it up..
congrats!

MoFugger21
10-16-2012, 10:26 PM
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/facewall.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/nothing_to_see_here.jpg

Lefty-Canuck
10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/funnies/PS_0483W_STUPID_KNEW_t.jpg

LC :)

Geezle
10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Once again, that's an amazing fish and a wicked job done on the mount :)

Pity Geek's thread went so far off the rails :o

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/lolcats/dognolaughingmatter-mark.jpg

Jims71duster
10-17-2012, 09:26 PM

If its your personal opinion than maybe keep it personally to yourself, this is a an outdoor forum where people as a rule have the choice to eat or mount what they catch and some people choose to show other like minded people. you chose to open your rude mouth when all you had to do was look at the pic or not. When is the last time you spouted off to a complete stranger in person instead of on the internet,,,you see how infecting it is now you have me doing the same thing you did,,,,,,,, very nice fish and i hope you place it on a wall where lots of eyes can enjoy

snortwheez
10-17-2012, 11:48 PM
OUTSATNDING FISH!!
Congrats!!!
James does outstanding work....