PDA

View Full Version : fishing in and around calgary

jeremyw111
10-14-2012, 12:16 AM
hello everbody,
I'm from Winnipeg, and this following weekend I'll be in Calgary for a couple of days (staying the weekend after a business trip) and hoping to do a bit of fishing. I've often heard there are huge trout to be caught on the bow river, possibly via fly fishing. I would love to catch some trout fly fishing on a river as that really isn't something that can be done in manitoba. We have our huge catfish, pike, walleye and numerous other species, but we do lack in the world of trout other than a couple of select stocked waters. I have also heard that there maybe be better options in the calgary area for trout fishing other than the bow river. Any help any of you can give would be greatly appreciated. And of course, if someobody wants to show me the ropes over there, I'll be happy to take you out on some of our trophy waters for walleye or catfish

Toirtis
10-14-2012, 12:33 PM
The Bow is great...and all you really need. There are a few options about an hour outside of Calgary, but nothing much else within the city limits or within 20 minutes outside. The Sheep and the Highwood are close by (about 30-40 minutes), and open until Nov 1. All great fly fishing options.

jeremyw111
10-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks Toirtis, I'm a bit of a rookie in the fly fishing world as we don't do a lot of it here in MB. any pointers? suggested fly patterns. Also I saw somebody else's post about fishing on the Bow at night? do people commonly have success at night fishing for the trout?