PDA

View Full Version : Small Creek feeding into the Bow: What could be living in it?

spaghetti
10-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Hey guys, Question:

I recently scouted out a perfectly wonderful creek that gets fed by the Bow River. It's about a kilometer or two long, Muddy/chocolate milk, VERY slow moving, and the short end (it just 'ends') is dammed up by a beaver.

My question to you guys is: What could be living in there? Any Trout? Suckers? ..Brook trout? Perch?

I'm not really asking this in a "sports fishing" sense, but just as a "could there be any good hand sized 5 inch fish in there to harass?". The river is just too muddy for me to see directly into it, so I need an experts opinion. :thinking-006:

I'd really like to hit this creek as hard as possible so I need as much dirty laundry on albertan creek fish as possible! :fighting0021:

For what it's worth though. If this creek were at home, I'd make a GOOD guess that it'd house: bass, cats, pumpkins, 'maybe' perch/crappies. It looks like an amazing sunfish/chub spot if that means anything.

Flieguy
10-15-2012, 06:38 AM
If it's connected to the bow and slow moving there's a good chance it would house Longnose and White suckers, Mountain Whitefish if the water quality is good enough, and maybe some small trout.

EORE
10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Necks time your scouting take a rod?

Guitarplayingfish
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
It's probably full of suckers and trout perch..

spaghetti
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
If it's connected to the bow and slow moving there's a good chance it would house Longnose and White suckers, Mountain Whitefish if the water quality is good enough, and maybe some small trout.

It's probably full of suckers and trout perch..

Sounds like a regular ol' sucker fest. I'll be sure to bring some worms. :sHa_shakeshout:

What is a trout perch supposed to be? Is it.. Is it anything like an actual perch or a chub or something?

This sounds like a small spinner/rapala spot.

Lornce
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
It is surprising what you can find in small creeks. You really need to keep a low profile and move slowly.

Flieguy
10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
What is a trout perch supposed to be? Is it.. Is it anything like an actual perch or a chub or something?

Trout-Perch are a species of minnow which only grow to be about 4" long. I doubt you would find them in a muddy backwater though as they need high water quality, and are actually used as an indicator species.

Clgy_Dave2.0
10-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Sounds like a regular ol' sucker fest. I'll be sure to bring some worms. :sHa_shakeshout:

Might want to check the regs first.

spaghetti
10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
It is surprising what you can find in small creeks. You really need to keep a low profile and move slowly.

Creeks are full of surprises, but I'm after the hand sized guys. Though, I've been an eye witness to gentlemen pulling foot long fish from creeks you could spit across. I consider anything "sport sized" a pleasant surprise.

I doubt you would find them in a muddy backwater though as they need high water quality, and are actually used as an indicator species.

Well then I won't be seeing any of them. This creek is muddy, muddy, muddy!

Might want to check the regs first.

Yes, I'm terribly aware of the Regs, or did they decide to ban silly plastic worms because they feel too much like food now? :mad0030: Or San Juan Worm's because they aren't 'true' flies?

Guitarplayingfish
10-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Trout-Perch are a species of minnow which only grow to be about 4" long. I doubt you would find them in a muddy backwater though as they need high water quality, and are actually used as an indicator species.

really?

Learn something new every day. I just know they are in our canal systems like craaazzzyy...

Flieguy
10-15-2012, 06:24 PM
really?

Learn something new every day. I just know they are in our canal systems like craaazzzyy...

Depends where, Alberta fish rescue last weekend we had very few at carseland

spaghetti
10-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Oh, Found out how long the Creek is for what it's worth.

From one dead End to where it Feeds into the Bow River, It's all together about 1600ft long, so, not quite a kilometer. :scared0018: