PDA

View Full Version : Dare not to fish mountains

Rememe
10-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Warned by my friends of animals (cougar, bears) searching for food, so dare not to take kids to fish in mountain streams (black diamond, turner valley area). But where else to fish now you guys? Is this typical/real this time of the year? how do you deal with it?

sheephunter
10-15-2012, 09:07 AM
They are always looking for food...typically humans aren't food. Carry some bear spray and learn how to use it and you shouldn't have a problem.

kritofr
10-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Warned by my friends of animals (cougar, bears) searching for food, so dare not to take kids to fish in mountain streams (black diamond, turner valley area). But where else to fish now you guys? Is this typical/real this time of the year? how do you deal with it?

I tend to fish the streams you are mentioning this time of year, while there is the chance of seeing an animal; to date I have not have had such an encounter.

Seeing you have kids, you could go fish a couple of other streams a little further south of your intended destination and find some good fishing holes right where you park your vehicle. In the event you see an animal of concern you can get the kids back to the vehicle.

Feel free to shoot me a pm and I can give you the locations of a couple of spots to go explore that should be able to produce some fish for the kids.

MrDave
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Worrying about the small chance of danger for nothing. Little kids make enough noise that you won't likely even see a wild animal. The areas you are talking about really aren't wild. Good luck.

Guitarplayingfish
10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
It doesn't matter where you are fishing... if there are known predators around you better stay close and keep a strong eye on your children.

A cougar could take a child in a matter of seconds without you even noticing. Chances are minimal, but the main thing is you keep an eye on them. A cougar won't mess with a full grown man (typically), but they would have no problem with a child.

EZM
10-15-2012, 01:02 PM
In order to make yourself feel at ease, do a little research on two things;

1) What precautions are helpful (bear bells, bear spray and basic proceedures if you ever run into a momma bear with cubs etc....)

2) Look at real life statistics (and more importantly the curcumstances of the animal attacks specific to that incident).

I think what you will find is you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a wild animal. LITERALLY. More people are struck and killed by lightening in an average year than have been killed by wild animals in RECORDED HISTORY.

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way is my advice ......

Okotokian
10-15-2012, 01:10 PM
There is risk everywhere. Fishing in the mountains is probably pretty low risk.

Like I told the startled French Canadian couple hiking with their two dogs yesterday when they came across me all camo-ed up and armed in K Country, "yeah, you probably won't get shot. Most good hunters positively identify their targets before they pull the trigger". Strangely, they didn't seem reassured, and I noticed the fellow stop and put on his red rain jacket a few hundred yards up the trail. LOL

OneGirlWolfPack
10-15-2012, 01:53 PM
There is risk everywhere. Fishing in the mountains is probably pretty low risk.

Like I told the startled French Canadian couple hiking with their two dogs yesterday when they came across me all camo-ed up and armed in K Country, "yeah, you probably won't get shot. Most good hunters positively identify their targets before they pull the trigger". Strangely, they didn't seem reassured, and I noticed the fellow stop and put on his red rain jacket a few hundred yards up the trail. LOL

LOL! I can't see how that wouldn't make them feel safe. Odd.

Some really good advice in this thread.

Speckle55
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
When i fish certain areas i carry .. and i don,t mean bear spray when i had my children with me or anyone . although i do have bear spray too. i just saw like this on a road near the Wildhay River(Q road) Sow and three cubs and saw two more yesterday 3 year olds together(km21 Hargwen Road}. do i worry about it no but i am prudent.

as a Parent i have to be prudent and protect my offspring:grouphug:

David:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

Rememe
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Those are valueable suggestions.
I think I would just try to avoid acrossing the woods with kids.
Or fish Bow instead before the hard water season.

WayneChristie
10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
more predators in the city and on the internet than in the woods.:scared0018:

Wes_G
10-15-2012, 06:49 PM
I would say stay away..... its incredibly dangerous!!!!

Pikey
10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.
I feel safer in the woods than a big city any day.
That being said, carry bear spray if you feel you might need it.... But more importantly know how and when to use it and do not let the kiddies near it.

ice
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
As others have said bring stuff for protection, keep them in eye site, and be aware of your surroundings.
You'll be fine. If you knew me, you'd know how I'm always looking for food to, but I don't pounce on every opportunity hahahaha

FishinDaddy
10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I would say stay away..... its incredibly dangerous!!!!

Agreed - everyone stay away from ALL trout streams in the mountains!!!

Stinky Buffalo
10-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I always figure that the relatively high-pitched voices of children would in effect be effective predator calls...

When I'm out with my kids I tell them to talk "low and slow".

But yeah, I agree... I'm more concerned about urban predators... :D

dragon
10-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I've seen a cougar about 1.5 km from moonlight bay at Pigeon lake. so nobody fish Pigeon!