PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile spots near Nordegg?

jorser
10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Late in the season but I'll be in Nordegg for the weekend. Any suggestions for the best spots to hit this late in the season for trout. Any type of trout is fine but some bulls would be fun. Cutts and rainbows welcome. Fly fishing only. Thanks for any help!

mikeym
10-16-2012, 10:01 AM
lots of possobilites in that area.

if it was me, i would hit up the Blackstone for some cutties and the odd bull.

other streams in no particular order
Brown Creek - haven't fished it in about 5yrs but had some nice bulls
Chunga Creek
Shunda Creek just outside of Nordegg - nice browns
Bigstone - moslty fished above Crescent Falls, nice cutties but gets fished hard as it is not C&R
Cline River
North Sask at the bridge - decent bulls in the bigger holes
North Ram - fantastic cuttie river
and tons of smaller creeks and streams in the area.

good luck
Mike

jorser
10-16-2012, 06:32 PM
lots of possobilites in that area.

if it was me, i would hit up the Blackstone for some cutties and the odd bull.

other streams in no particular order
Brown Creek - haven't fished it in about 5yrs but had some nice bulls
Chunga Creek
Shunda Creek just outside of Nordegg - nice browns
Bigstone - moslty fished above Crescent Falls, nice cutties but gets fished hard as it is not C&R
Cline River
North Sask at the bridge - decent bulls in the bigger holes
North Ram - fantastic cuttie river
and tons of smaller creeks and streams in the area.

good luck
Mike

Ok, thanks. I was thinking Blackstone or North Ram but thought maybe I was too late in the season. I'm just not used to fishing much after September. Hopefully I can figure out what they're taking.

Thanks Again!

Steven Noel
10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't bother fishing anything but the deepest holes on any of those streams. They will be staging in their overwintering holes and the runs and pockets likely no longer hold many fish, nor will the very small creeks.

BGSH
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Could be ice forming way up there as well, went last year in late October only to be greeted by ice on almost all of the streams and lakes in the area.

jorser
10-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the tips and info. Beautiful day Friday but didn't get to the Blackstone River until about 5:45pm. Luckily I caught my first Bull ever by about 6pm. A beauty 17 incher. Nothing compared to how big they get obviously, but not too bad for my first ever. Didn't get a nibble from then until dark though I walked up and downstream quite a ways. 6+ inches of snow over the next 16 hours ended my fishing season but it was nice to not get skunked on the last outing of the year.