PDA

View Full Version : NSR at Herm, biggest ive seen outta there.

Herefishyfishy
10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Was down with the ol lady fishing the river, it was getting about 1 hr after the sun went down, everyone was packing up when all of a sudden I hear "holy ****, holy ****, holy ****" coming from an Asian gentleman. I flick on my light and rush down the shore, and to my surprise, a decent fish! Wish I had pictures, but I weighed the thing myself, 9.25lbs walleye. I was surprised. Anyone caught any walleye bigger than that outta there at herm?

Herefishyfishy
10-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I run into the guy often, and he took pictures, ill get him to send them to me and post them.

waterninja
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
i'll be asking the regulars at herm about that monster also, but with the weather wev'e been having the last couple days i'm not in a hurry to get down there. it does seem that the bite is on at sunset and a couple hours into the night.

YeeHaw
10-17-2012, 12:23 PM
I have seen a 13lb a few years ago. To bad it wasnt on my line.

ice
10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow wish I could witness something like that,

Graffy91
10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Was down with the ol lady fishing the river, it was getting about 1 hr after the sun went down, everyone was packing up when all of a sudden I hear "holy ****, holy ****, holy ****" coming from an Asian gentleman. I flick on my light and rush down the shore, and to my surprise, a decent fish! Wish I had pictures, but I weighed the thing myself, 9.25lbs walleye. I was surprised. Anyone caught any walleye bigger than that outta there at herm?

About 2 weeks ago my brother, 2 friends and I were down there.

My brother was reeling in what he claimed to be a snake of a jack,...

Got it to shore, and we realized the size of this beast, his line snapped, I grabbed the line and wrapped it around my bare hand, ran into the water and brought the fish in with my hands.

It was honest to god the biggest pike I have ever seen, easily 20+ pounds, bigger than the ones I've caught at Wabamun this year.

I was waist deep wrestling this fish in the water, I couldn't even grab the thing.

All the guys along the shore came running over jaws on the ground howling at me wrestling this bitch.

So sad we didn't get a picture because this thing was a trophy I swear...

Gotta go back one day and land that *****... :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

NSR Monger
10-17-2012, 02:39 PM
It was honest to god the biggest pike I have ever seen, easily 20+ pounds, bigger than the ones I've caught at Wabamun this year.

dont sell yourself short, probably a 30lb'er, good job man, ur the best!!!

ThisGuyCatchesFish15
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
:sHa_shakeshout: Yeah, that was me and my dad and once I find out how to post pictures I'll make sure I put it up ASAP.

ThisGuyCatchesFish15
10-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Also the day after that my dad and I with our buddies caught a 6.30 lbs walleye 29.3" (our buddy) and a 27.5" 8.20 lbs walleye with a girth of about 12 to 15 inches something like that.:sHa_shakeshout:

Herefishyfishy
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
There is a photo of the Walleye here in Waterninjas post. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=152821

waterninja
10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
dont sell yourself short, probably a 30lb'er, good job man, ur the best!!!
sounds like you don't think it's possible to get a 20 pounder in the nsr. i know the father of one of the fellows who were tagging sturgeon in the nsr this summer and they reported catching many pike in the 20-30 lbs. range.

TaKe ThE BaIt
10-18-2012, 12:26 PM
sounds like you don't think it's possible to get a 20 pounder in the nsr. i know the father of one of the fellows who were tagging sturgeon in the nsr this summer and they reported catching many pike in the 20-30 lbs. range.

How were they catching pike if they were targeting sturgeon? Pretty different methods of fishing......but of course its possible to have pike that big in the nsr.......

Graffy91
10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
How were they catching pike if they were targeting sturgeon? Pretty different methods of fishing......but of course its possible to have pike that big in the nsr.......

Not that hard...

When using a pickerel rig with worms, pike come along and inspect... Plus 20+ pound pike in the river must be pretty damn common, at least I think with all the food in that river system.

Anyways, IDC who doesn't believe me, all the fellow asian fishers down there came running over, we had a nice talk and they even know the pike I've caught at Wabamun, so to each their own.

TaKe ThE BaIt
10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Not that hard...

When using a pickerel rig with worms, pike come along and inspect....

Have spent countless hours on the river, using a p-rig most of the time, with worms most of the time, never one single pike on a p-rig while using worms (a few smaller pike using minnows). A 20-30lb pike must be pretty hard up to go after a little dew worm. Also no one has posted a 20lb pike from the river on this forum, so probably not that common.

waterninja
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
don't know about common but there are definetly big pike in the nsr.
i think the sturgeon taggers were using chicken parts for bait.
iv'e caught lots of pike with a worm. don't ask me why. i think that sometimes they just attack anything they see.

Graffy91
10-18-2012, 03:25 PM
iv'e caught lots of pike with a worm. don't ask me why. i think that sometimes they just attack anything they see.

Territorial predators. I've caught em on elastic bands at wabamun while bottom bouncing

TaKe ThE BaIt
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I've caught em on elastic bands at wabamun while bottom bouncing

times must be tough lol just bugging you buddy

Graffy91
10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
times must be tough lol just bugging you buddy

Ran outta worms, so we had to use elastic bands from my backpack haha.

All you do is snap the band, hook it through one end, and let it dangle like a worm, works wonders haha.

Thats what I caught my 18 lber on there this year. :sHa_shakeshout:

echo
10-18-2012, 05:50 PM

its been a while but ive caught many large pike in the 15-25lbs range out of the river.