PDA

View Full Version : Pembina Help!

wetchimo
10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
I've been out to some awsome spots on the Pembina in the last two weeks and i have struck out everytime. If anyone wants to fish the Pembina tomorrow and show me what I am doing wrong, I would happy to pay for gas and I have a box of Cohiba cigars that i would love to smoke after we catch something.

Thanks,

Peter

fishinggeek
10-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Just ask BGSH. He always seems to catch eyes where ever he goes.

chriscosta
10-17-2012, 11:04 AM
find a deep spot slap a parkers on a plain hook with a couple split shots a foot up and just send it out and let it sit the slow current will drift it around I used four tubs of minnows on sunday almost all on fish we got walleyes and burbot too many too count between me n my gf I wasnt 100% ure on the regs so we kept none but lots were real nice

67Elmo
10-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi Peter,

I've fished the Pembina off the shore several times with a buddy born and raised near Wildwood. He has 50 years of experience fishing the Pembina. Trust me. He knows the Pembina.

He says as a general rule (there ARE exceptions) the walleye leave the Pembina downsteam to the Athabasca near the end of September. He still catches fish, but fewer, the first week in October. I'm certain there are holes where you can catch them this time of year. But as a general rule of thumb, fish the Pembina June 1 to Sept. 30. You are not catching walleye because most of them are downstream. By the way, my buddy caught a 14 lb walleye (thats fourteen pounds) in late June this year in the Pembina. His biggest ever.

chriscosta
10-17-2012, 07:38 PM
well I found the walleye stacked thick in the holes almost trapped as it is very shallow on each end so if ya find em theres lots of all kinds of fish and ive seen some monsters outta there but biggest I know of is thirteen pounds your buddy got a doozy ... sure is a sweet river

buckmaster
10-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi Peter,

I've fished the Pembina off the shore several times with a buddy born and raised near Wildwood. He has 50 years of experience fishing the Pembina. Trust me. He knows the Pembina.

He says as a general rule (there ARE exceptions) the walleye leave the Pembina downsteam to the Athabasca near the end of September. He still catches fish, but fewer, the first week in October. I'm certain there are holes where you can catch them this time of year. But as a general rule of thumb, fish the Pembina June 1 to Sept. 30. You are not catching walleye because most of them are downstream. By the way, my buddy caught a 14 lb walleye (thats fourteen pounds) in late June this year in the Pembina. His biggest ever.

would love to see a pic of your buds 14lb,er.

67Elmo
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
He's an older fellow well into his 70s who does not own a computer. There is a photo he took of the fish, but I'd have to collect it and scan it if he'd let me. I"ll see what I can do. His buddy caught one 12 lbs. 3 oz a couple of years ago in the same stretch of water.

He says the big ones migrate back and forth in the river, and its a matter of being in the right place when they pass by. The best time seems to be when the Pembina experiences a lot of rain, becomes virtually unfishable due to fast and heavy water flow, but then the flow ebbs to more normal levels. Its immediately after these periods of very heavy water flow when the river drops to more "normal levels" that he catches the big ones. He also nailed a 19 lb pike in the river in the same stretch this year. Pickeral rigs with smelts are his preferred method, nothing fancy in terms of lures, jigs, etc.