PDA

View Full Version : ice jigging stick design idea

edmontonfishing
10-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm planning make 50+ ice fishing sticks for me and parterners. Here is the design the most simpliest and cheapest way to make them.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/candlestick-ice-fishing-pole-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJB8E-N1cQ,wsBPmyE)DQ4g~~60_57.JPG

Where in Edmonton can I find the wood dowel shown in the picture? Any better ideas to upgrade the design in the picture?

Thanks in advance!

RockHammer&Rod
10-17-2012, 12:14 PM
This is how I fished with my dad and brother every winter in Manitoba.. Worked like a charm and it's very cheap!

Stinky Buffalo
10-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Where in Edmonton can I find the wood dowel shown in the picture? Any better ideas to upgrade the design in the picture?
Thanks in advance!

For that design, almost looks like a drum stick would do...

iliketrout
10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
If you don't need it to be tapered, you could get a bunch of wooden broom sticks/rake handles and cut to length.

Gilligan
10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
not sure if I'm off topic here .... but

you can get an ice fishing rod and reel for under $20
at Walmart / Princess Auto etc..

I know its not old school but i sure makes things easier....

see you on the ice....

buckmaster
10-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm planning make 50+ ice fishing sticks for me and parterners. Here is the design the most simpliest and cheapest way to make them.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/candlestick-ice-fishing-pole-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJB8E-N1cQ,wsBPmyE)DQ4g~~60_57.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a old pool stick.

sco22
10-17-2012, 02:39 PM
My Father in Law took paint mixing sticks that you would get when you buy paint, put a notch in both ends and wound 50 or so feet of line on them along with a hook. He must have had 300 of these. Line would get a kink in it after a while, but switching hooks was about a 3 second event. Plus you could fit 75-100 of them in one 5 gallon pail. The notch kept the line from slipping down the length of the stick when you jigged. Very smart and cheap.

Cheers.

edmontonfishing
10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
broom sticks/rake handles are in my mind too. However, who would like contribute me 10 broom sticks or I have to spend 150 bucks for 10 broom sticks?:thinking-006:

redranger15
10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
As a kid we would cut up old hockey sticks.

falroy
10-17-2012, 03:19 PM
broom sticks/rake handles are in my mind too. However, who would like contribute me 10 broom sticks or I have to spend 150 bucks for 10 broom sticks?:thinking-006:

home depot and canadian tire sell wood dowel, but if all your after is a cheap stick go out to the hills and gather up some dead branches that are the right size. willow branches would work really good.

trapshooter
10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Hockey sticks and paint mixing sticks all the way.

Stinky Buffalo
10-17-2012, 03:43 PM
My Father in Law took paint mixing sticks that you would get when you buy paint, put a notch in both ends and wound 50 or so feet of line on them along with a hook. He must have had 300 of these. Line would get a kink in it after a while, but switching hooks was about a 3 second event. Plus you could fit 75-100 of them in one 5 gallon pail. The notch kept the line from slipping down the length of the stick when you jigged. Very smart and cheap.

Cheers.

Exactly what my dad used to do as well (along with the old-timers we fished with). I still have several that I inherited from his collection. My kids made their own as well out of scraps of 1x2's.

LeroyvdH
10-17-2012, 03:48 PM
home depot they have fir dowel in 20' lengths. Use them for atlatl darts
Leroy

bloopbloob
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Ive notched the ends of Surveyor stakes. Got em for Free

AppleJax
10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Windsor Plywood.

crazyperch
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Cheers.

X2

Mayhem
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM

...or chair leg?

Geezle
10-17-2012, 04:45 PM

My guess is the leg off an old coffee table.

f_train22
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
home depot and canadian tire sell wood dowel, but if all your after is a cheap stick go out to the hills and gather up some dead branches that are the right size. willow branches would work really good.

x2 I always have used a dead branch rigged up with a fairly short strand of fishing line to catch perch from the dock at the lake. Makes a guy feel he's in a simpler time.

Zanzibar
10-17-2012, 05:46 PM
It looks to me like old coffee table leg is the best guess. Unless you can find 10 or 12 old tables, you need access to a wood lathe to taper some dowels. It's a cool design, would be nice to have them tapered like that.

AK47
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
with real rods being so cheap seems like a waste of time to make those sticks. Sorry just my 2 cents.

600twin
10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
What you need is a piece of 1x2 strapping about a foot long then get a piece of vinyl siding the same length and width and attach it to the wood. Stick the wood end into the snow and then run your line over the top of the siding and it will jig up and down with the slightest amount of wind or current.

ice
10-17-2012, 07:21 PM
I did a half version of this was a kid, except just went into the forest with a long enough stick with enough flex for the wind to bounce it, put it over the hole, with a can ontop yao catch the wind, Iv had those catch fish even when I couldnt,

Fish face
10-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Go to your nearest lake, go to the end that the wind pushes most of the driftwood to and grab a bunch of close to straight lengths of suitable diameter driftwood. its free and looks great when you attach all your bits. im making a couple ice rods from driftwood "handles" i found while fishing this summer and they look really good. broken rod tips i pick up fiberglassed into driftwood handles with a 20 buck rear drag shimano reel. Best ice rods ever, i have a couple i made out of bamboo.

huntin'fool
10-18-2012, 08:36 AM
My guess is the leg off an old coffee table.

ya, now all he has to do it get about 13 coffee tables.....lol!

Surveyor's stick sounds easy, paint mix sticks too. All it is, is a method to hold line, no? You're not actually jigging with them, or are you?

Kim473
10-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Hockey sticks and paint mixing sticks all the way.

X2

Can get paint sticks free at most paint shops. Just go in and ask for a few, then go to another and ask for a few, repeat as needed. Cut a V in the ends as posted before and use a thick elastic band to stop from unwinding. Take extras with you as some will break with the cold.

I now have switched to two rods, one with 4lb test for whites and perch. The other with I think 8 lb for pike and eyes. Put a wire strike indicator on the end and can realy see those very light biters. Sure nice to have the reel with a drag when a white, trout or pike takes the hook. Used the stick method for years but the 2 ft rod and reel is the way to go now, for me at least. Only takes 30 secs to tie another hook on. Put a rod holder on your pail and good to go. Jig with one and have a second off to the side, holes will be about 3 ft apart. Two rods = more chances.

TROLLER
10-21-2012, 10:34 AM

Maybe we should take up a collection so you could raise the money you need for the broomsticks:sHa_sarcasticlol: