PDA

View Full Version : Windermere Bass ( retired albertan )

mszomola
10-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I've been wanting to do this for a while now. You may have spotted me occasionally while still living in alberta with a red and white skeeter bass boat towed by a silver fj cruiser.

While living in the have not bass province. I made adjustments and found water close by ( or close enough ) to enjoy some good largemouth action. 3 hours into the mountains to a lake called Windermere.

Many already know the lake , but few realize the bass fishing at hand. I've included a map with some key highlights and this post is to follow up with that so you understand when and how i was fishing these areas.

I hope you take the chance to try your luck at these fish , when you get into a school it can get pretty exciting.

Spot 1. This stretch of water includes the south point where you will notice a sand bar in the center of the peninsula. Just before that sand bar theres 2 or 3 docks in good water and sunken barrels ( in the summer theres a floating dock right beside the dock on the south side of this point. I can occassionally find a stack of largemouth schooled up , in the early spring and fall you can get them on cranks, senkos , texas rigged creature baits ... As you move north you will get more docks and theres barrels scattered all over . Give this a quick pass , when you get past the condo docks its just gravel and weed puffs. if you look carefully down this path theres also barrels scattered around and a bit of a gravel point which occasionally has good numbers.

Spot 2. Just to the other side of spot 1 , i usually start here on a typical day anyways. Right from the spot marked for lake entry there are barrels by the cottage docks. Moving north to south you will find bunches of bass stacked up on docks and those barrels. When you get to the big dock on the point , theres a rocky point with a floating dock or two on it. Pay attention to these I have found large schools here , and the big dock set before the beach has a small feeder channel and weed puffs with bass loaded up under , try the north most part of these big docks , the last one is sitting in about 12 - 14 ft of water , throw cranks , texas rigged creature baits , senkos ... etc ..

Spot 3. These reeds have bass loaded throughout the summer, though during early spring ( april may ) you will find them locked to one corner ( you'll have to fish the stretch to locate. Its the only big of reeds that poke out early spring. it has a barrel on it and in spring its loaded with bass. Cranks , texas rigged baits , senkos , spinner baits ..

Spot 4. Many people would have noticed the lilly pads here , in the spring and summer this area is dominant in consitancy and numbers , even size is good. Theres a channel and beaver dam. if the season is a bit wet and those bullrushes behind the dam get water the fish scatter behind there ( good size ) This area including the pads i will sight fish and throw senkos ,spinnerbaits , weedless jigs , even top waters can work. but you have to get into the channels behind the pads , the fish dont like the outer edge and you will miss them fishing like that.

Spot 5. I'snt really a spot , its a stretch , if you keep along you will notice those reeds. working north to south you will find fish scattered , and occasionally find a school or two. At this point of the day im exausted and have likely caught 20 - 30 fish. You should TOO !!

I have actual way points i may scan in for you to be completely accurate . However doing a quick search on inveremere would likely find nothing on fishing bass. So this should give you alot to work with.

Also season plays a big part in your success and techniques. I start my year around April 15 - 30 , and usually ends around Oct 15 - 20.

In spring they bunch up and spawn around 65F , prior to that you will find them staging along the spots mentioned. They will be skiddish but also aggresive at times. IF you see them and cant catch them , try long casts and staying off the electronics , trolling motors etc ... they will pick up. Also a good way to cover water in spring for these fish is throw a RED and BLACK Tiger color Strike King Rattle Trap . They like 1,2,3,4 the most this time.

In the summer , rely on the reeds and lilly pads . The traffic on the lake will keep them in less accessible areas like the lilly pads , reeds , beaver dam.

In the end of summer to mid fall. I tend to throw crankbaits and look for points in the spots mentioned to find schools , they like 1 ,2 and 4 here the most.

Hopefully this helps , i wouldn't go this year anymore as its likely finished. But April is soon approaching !!! right? sorta , so you now have something new and exciting to look forward too ....

best of luck on your quest for bass. Dont both bucketing them into alberta , the season wont support a spawn for bass , so they wont replenish at all...

http://www.szomo.ca/inver.jpg

The Great White Hype
10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks! I went out there this summer and loved the little bit of action I had. I cant wait to go out for some more bucket mouths.

JohninAB
10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks. Definitely a must do trip next year.

mszomola
10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Heres 2 pics from spots 1 and 4. From my experience the biggest largemouth in this lake is around 4 - 5 lbs ... lots squawfish :S

http://www.szomo.ca/22.jpg
http://www.szomo.ca/23.jpg

Dust1n
10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
The east shore is really good at night casting top waters along the beaches! 3rd best bass lake

curtis_rak
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Another good spot at Windermere is the far south end as the lake starts to turn into the river. You can work your way around in there and there are bass in the weed pockets all over the place.

Also, there are some small bays on the east side lined with cottages. These docks in the bays are usually in about 8-12ft of water and are a good place to throw worms.

Lornce
10-20-2012, 08:09 AM
I've had some great luck at that far south end also throwing streamers along the weeds and one assume morning with fly rod poppers. Can't wait to get back out there with my new Tracker boat and fly rod.

fishing101
10-20-2012, 11:28 AM
easy on giving out the secrets of this lake. This is probably one of the best bass lakes in western canada. They are stupid fish. Nice bass boat. If we do another live well event next year in bc you should come out and fish. We did this past year on skaha lake and we had a good turn out. Even had a few alberta teams.

mszomola
10-21-2012, 07:27 AM
That's awesome! What was the winning weight ? 5 fish limit ?

I would fish an event but bringing my rig there 4000 Kms might not be feasible hahahaha.

The spots I'm not to worried about ... not a lot of anglers in Alberta even less looking for bass. Hopefully the interest grows and more things like the events you mention take place.

Maybe more bass lakes some day ?

I would agree the fish in Windermere were pretty easy at first , until I combed through 3 years solo and patterned them through the whole season,starting from April through to fall. They might be a little harder to catch now :) I put all my fish back to be fished again. Needless to say they aren't as gullible now...

I should post a vid where I land 5 fish in the span of 5 - 10 mins on cranks in one of my fav spots on the lake.

mszomola
10-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Another good spot at Windermere is the far south end as the lake starts to turn into the river. You can work your way around in there and there are bass in the weed pockets all over the place.

Also, there are some small bays on the east side lined with cottages. These docks in the bays are usually in about 8-12ft of water and are a good place to throw worms.

That's interesting, I've poked around the south end. It looked promising but I truthfully didn't spend much time in that area . I'm sure there's more untapped gems there !

The docks yes! It's almost comical , throw some Polaroids on and look for shadows sitting or moving around docks ...there indeed is a lot more to the lake then I have posted!

e40water12
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Once you find the lures and set ups Bass go for. Its all tight lines after that.