PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Sportfishing Regulation Change For Kananaskis Country Area In 2013

jstelfox
10-18-2012, 03:05 PM
A few sportfishing regulation changes are being proposed for implementation in the Kananaskis Country area in 2013. The proposed changes are primarily designed to provide more protection for pure-strain, non-stocked populations of native westslope cutthroat trout. The attached provides background and rationale for the proposed changes.

Jim

Bow flyman
10-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I am hopeful that these changes take place. We need to fully protect the few purestrain cutts in the province as soon as possible.

ÜberFly
10-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Good news!

Next there needs to be some improvements within the Castle drainage to protect the pure strains within it!!

dvers749
10-19-2012, 12:27 PM
I think much more of this should be wide spread around alberta, helps the size and number of the species and will create a good fishery that would be somewhat like it was a long time ago. they should have everything catch and release except for some areas that are perhaps stocked or way too overpopulated.

FishingForLife
10-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I love it!!

Daceminnow
10-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I am hopeful that these changes take place. We need to fully protect the few purestrain cutts in the province as soon as possible.

agreed. although, i don't believe any of the flowing waters listed in the attached document above receive any significant angler pressure today. it would be something to see them become thriving with native fish in the future. the k river with it's varying flow rates also continue to pose challenges for it's inhabitants.

as always, thanks for sharing this information Jim.

Dace

walking buffalo
10-21-2012, 02:43 PM
In essence, the proposed regulation changes sound worthy of implementing,

except for the exclusion of harvesting Rainbow trout from these waters.

Some people might wonder why rainbow trout are also
being included in the zero limit for the Kananaskis River and tributaries. The reason is
that many anglers misidentify cutthroat trout as rainbow trout and could therefore
mistakenly harvest them.

I think the exclusion of Rainbow Trout from harvest in these waters is a poor, perhaps even a flawed recommendation in realizing the desired protection of Pure-Strain Cuththrout trout.

Brook trout harvest is allowed in waters that contain Bull trout. Are the concerns for mis-identification not applicable here? Why the double standard?

Rainbow trout are a non-native species in these waters, and do sucessfully reproduce with Cutthroat trout, thus threatening the remaining Pure-Strain Cutthroat trout through cross-breeding and genetic dilution.

Considering how and why the Province has declared War on Brook Trout, I find it baffling that Rainbow trout would be protected from harvest in these proposals.

Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the proposal and I hope you will reply here regarding my comments. Your input is always appreciated.

slivers86
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Brook trout harvest is allowed in waters that contain Bull trout. Are the concerns for mis-identification not applicable here? Why the double standard?

A good point is raised here. Proper education would eliminate a lot of problems. Hell, I caught a big bow last month on the upper oldman, and was a bit confused - I'm still fairly new - and had to ask if it was a big cutty or a bow! I went home and looked everything up and now know the major differences!

jstelfox
10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
In essence, the proposed regulation changes sound worthy of implementing,

except for the exclusion of harvesting Rainbow trout from these waters.

I think the exclusion of Rainbow Trout from harvest in these waters is a poor, perhaps even a flawed recommendation in realizing the desired protection of Pure-Strain Cuththrout trout.

Rainbow trout are a non-native species in these waters, and do sucessfully reproduce with Cutthroat trout, thus threatening the remaining Pure-Strain Cutthroat trout through cross-breeding and genetic dilution.

Considering how and why the Province has declared War on Brook Trout, I find it baffling that Rainbow trout would be protected from harvest in these proposals.

Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the proposal and I hope you will reply here regarding my comments. Your input is always appreciated.

I anticipate that anglers, who have passed a fish ID test, will be permitted to harvest an unlimited number of rainbow trout from certain specified waters (similar to the way that anglers, who have passed a fish ID test, are currently permitted to harvest an unlimited number of brook trout from certain specified waters via the Stewardship Licence).

Jim

walking buffalo
10-31-2012, 07:36 PM
I anticipate that anglers, who have passed a fish ID test, will be permitted to harvest an unlimited number of rainbow trout from certain specified waters (similar to the way that anglers, who have passed a fish ID test, are currently permitted to harvest an unlimited number of brook trout from certain specified waters via the Stewardship Licence).

Jim

Thanks for the reply.

Can we anticipate the Stewardship licence to be part and parcel to the proposed regulation changes? Will this be put in writing?

If the Stewardship Licence is included as a keystone to the plan, I would support the proposal.

If the Stewardship Licence is not included upon implementation of the proposed changes, I am against the whole concept.

jstelfox
10-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Can we anticipate the Stewardship licence to be part and parcel to the proposed regulation changes? Will this be put in writing?

If the Stewardship Licence is included as a keystone to the plan, I would support the proposal.

If the Stewardship Licence is not included upon implementation of the proposed changes, I am against the whole concept.

I can't speak for the fisheries biologist who is responsible for the waters in the Oldman R. drainage. However, based on conversations that I have had with him, I anticipate that he will be permitting rainbow and brook trout harvest in specified waters under a stewardship licence.

In the Bow R. drainage, we will be continuing the stewardship licence again in 2013.