PDA

View Full Version : Big Laker Photos...

67Elmo
10-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Today I played hooky from work and went to Wabamun to see if I could catch some big pike. Despite the great conversations with EZM the fishing was poor. Note to self...Do NOT fish Lake Wabamun with an east wind. This is the second time I have done this (fished Wab with an east wind) and both times the fishing was shockingly poor. Cut the grass, play golf, and if absolutely necessary, even go to work instead of fishing Wabamun with an east wind. I think I have a better chance of catching more fish in my bathtub than at Wabamun with an east wind....Honestly, its that bad if the wind is from the east....

So I thought I'd go back to some successes and post 3 photos from a trip to Wellesley Lake in the SW part of the Yukon three years ago. We vertical jigged one ounce jigs with a plastic squid skirt in about 60 ft. of water, and did very well in July.

The first photo is me with a 25 lb male laker. The males have a lot more red in their fins. The second photo is my personal best laker, a 38 lb female. The third photo is my friend Fred with a 45 lb lake trout. All fishing was catch and release, and we caught numerous 20 lb plus lakers on the 5 day trip. Some had the rear tail fin of a 5 lb whitefish sticking out of their gullet when we unhooked them and released them. Enjoy...

kingshow
10-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Those are some giant footballs!

Lambo
10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Nice lakers!

Gust
10-18-2012, 10:38 PM
I was expecting pictures of Los Angeles area basketball stars,,, how dissappointing to see big fish.

So you don't like the easterly's eh?

100 kmh southwesterly's in the southern half are crappy too.

Alberta Bigbore
10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Wooohooo nice Lakers!

tight line
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Beaury !!! Gotta love tube jigs!

tight line
10-18-2012, 11:09 PM
*beauty*! lol

Liarsenic
10-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Those are some awesome lakers!

waterninja
10-19-2012, 03:01 AM
sounds like you weren't to happy, and i hate to ask, but did you get skunked?
those lakers are awesome, thanks for sharing.

67Elmo
10-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Not technically skunked since one pike still counts as a fish...EZM, being the pike master he is, did somewhat better and caught around 10 or so. But this is after a full day of hard fishing at all the "secret spots". Normally on Wab you could count on dozens of fish, and several over 10 lbs under the same circumstances. I just won't fish it on an east wind if I can help it. It just shuts down the lake from what I see...

kgb33
10-19-2012, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE]Cut the grass, play golf, and if absolutely necessary, even go to work instead of fishing Wabamun with an east wind. I think I have a better chance of catching more fish in my bathtub than at Wabamun with an east wind....Honestly, its that bad if the wind is from the east....
/QUOTE]

" When the wind is in the east , The fish bite the least "

"When the wind is in the west the fish bite the best !"

Great photos , Its an ambition of mine to catch a 20lb plus Laker along with a 100lb Sturgeon.

WayneChristie
10-19-2012, 07:27 PM
now those are trout! nothing girly about those things :sHa_shakeshout:

Stally77
10-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. Those are very nice Trout. Still looking for my 20+.

EZM
10-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Nice Lakers ...... can't wait to go Laker fishing - always lots of fun when you catch a big one.

Had fun with you at Wab despite the lousy fishing. I think there is really something to the low barometric pressure in, or caused by, an east wind. That was definitely a new benchmark ...

If nothing else - we exchanged a few good spots, some ideas and had a few laughs and most importantly PLAYED HOOKY FROM WORK.

EZM
10-19-2012, 09:46 PM

Not quite skunked but it was as slow as I've ever seen Wab in the history of time. Catch rates were about, or just a bit better than, one an hour for the boat (2 of us) and WE WERE WORKING HARD.

We stayed on target, pulled shallow, pulled deep, on structure, off structure, across structure ............. picked up a only few.

As many of you know, there are many times you can't go more than 10 minutes without a fish unless your line is out of the water on that lake.

Seemed like the only way to hook them was to slack line them on the troll as they were kissing the lure like a kid kisses his bearded grandma.

We went to bait and found that the pike were actually losing interest and sometimes just giving it a kiss or two and leaving .... a few happen to get their lips accidentally stuck on the hook .... lol.

Really a weird day - It was fun anyways.

Fishabs
10-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Nice Lakers man! holy ****, did you see the belly on that second pic, a pig!

kissarmygeneral
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I was expecting pictures of Los Angeles area basketball stars,,, how dissappointing to see big fish.

So you don't like the easterly's eh?

100 kmh southwesterly's in the southern half are crappy too.

hahaha made me laugh. Big ol lakers. Great work!

Flieguy
10-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Beauty

Rock Doctor
10-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Very nice fish there. Congrats

RD

Geezle
10-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Wicked lakers! I likely won't get a chance to get up there again til hardwater season...I'm jealous!!