PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing Bibs

mayuan
10-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I was looking at these ice fishing bibs 'Arctic Armor Green Plus Bibs'. Anyone ever use them?

My Carharts have finally given up after 16yrs.

npauls
10-20-2012, 12:14 PM
I had arctic armor and didn't like it at all.

It isn't waterproof at all so if you kneel down on the ice expect soaked legs.

I sold that suit and am now using the strikemaster suit. You can order directly from strikemasters website and if you have time to wait you can catch really good deals on them.

I ended up getting the whole suit for like 65% off the retail price on their website.

It isn't completely waterproof either but is just as warm or warmer then the arctic armor and way nicer to move around in.

Another suit to check out is the ice armor suits by clam. They have the blue uninsulated one so that you can layer as you please under it or they have the extreme suit which is insulated and is grey and black in color. A good friend own both suits and really likes them both. They seem to be pretty much waterproof and really comfortable to wear.

Between me and my buddies we have pretty much tried every mainstream suit on the market and the arctic armor is at the bottom of our lists.

AppleJax
10-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Npauls, have you or your buddies tried the Frabill ice suit? Do you have any feedback on it?

mayuan
10-20-2012, 01:48 PM
What I liked about the suit was the ability to float. At first I was looking at the Mustang survival bibs for that reason too.

npauls
10-20-2012, 01:56 PM
applejax I haven't tried any Frabil suits but I am sure one of us will in the next year or 2. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

The wife picked me up the artic armor suit for the floating ability also but I didn't like the suit at all and was soaked after every outing so I decided to sell it and found something better.

What didn't work for me may be perfect for you though. I don't use a hut very often and am usually drilling tons of holes in a day chasing perch in the winter so I am constantly kneeling or drilling holes.

mayuan
10-20-2012, 02:05 PM
What didn't work for me may be perfect for you though. I don't use a hut very often and am usually drilling tons of holes in a day chasing perch in the winter so I am constantly kneeling or drilling holes.

That's my problem too, wet knees all fricken day.

How about the Integrity HX Flotation Bib Pant by mustang anyone try them?

tim3500
10-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Go with the Mustang bibs they float and hold out water great I use mine on the ice and out in the water sitting in the boat when its raining hard and in the Wack its always wet

Willowtrail
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Applejax, i have the frabil suit and love it. Jacket and pants. Warm, comfy and waterproof.

New Hunter Okotoks
10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
That's my problem too, wet knees all fricken day.

How about the Integrity HX Flotation Bib Pant by mustang anyone try them?

I bought the HX Integrity full suit. I am very happy with it. It's very warm; to the point that I rarely set up the shelter because there's no point.

I used to wear Carharts but once wet, they were wet for the entire day. It's nice not having wet knees and ice bricks around the the boots. The big feature for me though, is that it floats. It's the same price, and maybe cheaper than the Frabill suits and yet it floats.

It's very warm, comfortable, waterproof, windproof, lots of pockets and it floats. I can't see how there can be a better suit available for ice fishing.

Hunter Trav
10-22-2012, 12:41 AM
I bought the HX Integrity full suit. I am very happy with it. It's very warm; to the point that I rarely set up the shelter because there's no point.

I used to wear Carharts but once wet, they were wet for the entire day. It's nice not having wet knees and ice bricks around the the boots. The big feature for me though, is that it floats. It's the same price, and maybe cheaper than the Frabill suits and yet it floats.

It's very warm, comfortable, waterproof, windproof, lots of pockets and it floats. I can't see how there can be a better suit available for ice fishing.

Where did you get your suit at???

New Hunter Okotoks
10-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Where did you get your suit at???

I bought it from the Fishin' Hole last summer when they had their annual sale. I think I ended up paying about $260 or somewhere in that ballpark.

slingshotz
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
The first season my Arctic Armors were awesome, I could kneel in puddles of water all day and my knees stayed dry. The second year my right knee developed leaks and the company rep was useless as they insisted that it was my sweat causing it. They could not believe that their bibs would leak as they claim to have 8 layers of waterproofing. Worse customer service ever as I had to argue with them that I knew the pants were leaking but they wouldn't do a damn thing. I'm not a rocket scientist but I know that if my right knee area is soaked and my left is dry that it is not sweat....

The bibs are still really warm and comfortable so now I always carry a rubber foam mat to kneel on and it has the added benefit of being more soft than the hard ice. I haven't really heard of any great waterproof bibs that are durable to trade up to yet.

npauls
10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
I had a battle going on with arctic armor also and they wouldn't believe me on my bibs leaking either.

I was wearing my AA suit last year just after the open water walleye season opened due to cold weather and the rain hit. I was soaked instantly and that is when I decided to sell that suit. My buddy had his ice armor by clam suit on and was dry as a bone at the end of the day.

I will never buy another i.d.i. gear product again. Their customer service is terrible and what they claim to have in their suits is completely false.

woolly7
10-23-2012, 05:45 AM
I picked up the grey Frabill suit last year and was very happy with it. Lots of mobility, tons of huge pockets and waterproof. I ordered it online from fishUSA.com.

ogre
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Bentley, check out the Helly Hansen Alpha one-piece suit, it is both lightweight, completely waterproof/windproof, floats, and does not separate at the waist so you will always float with your butt in the water and your head out of water. I bought one last year and it is one of the best investment I have.

Sloughsharkjigger
10-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Bentley, check out the Helly Hansen Alpha one-piece suit, it is both lightweight, completely waterproof/windproof, floats, and does not separate at the waist so you will always float with your butt in the water and your head out of water. I bought one last year and it is one of the best investment I have.

What did the Alpha cost ($) you?

gramps73
10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Wait and buy the new Rapala Suit...

ogre
10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
If memory serves, it was about $300. I saw The Fishin' Hole in Calgary has the same suit in stock earlier for about the same price.