PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy?

Flieguy
10-20-2012, 07:25 PM
I want to try to snowshoe into Burstall Lakes this hardwater season. Anyone done this before? Backcountry ice fishing just seems like it would be an amazing experience!

tight line
10-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Ive hiked up to Allstones to go ice fishing! Not a fun hike with ice gear lol

waterninja
10-21-2012, 04:48 AM
are you crazy? now that it's on your bucket list you'd be crazy not to.

Flieguy
10-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Haha anybody have any tips for me? regarding Burstall lakes or pack in ice fishing in general?
It would be appreciated

Kokanee9
10-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Why not make it a real trip to remember by staying overnight in a snow cave?

Off in the Bushes
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I have done some of hike in ice fishing and it is a lot of work try not to get to sweated up as it is hard to get warm when you are wet. I have also dragged in a ice fishing shack 2 km up hill to fish and that sucked as the shed does not pull smoothly it kind of sling shots as you walk which makes it difficult. Best of luck in you adventures. Also bring more water then you think you are going to need.

Albertadiver
10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Suggest using a pulk with hard poles to pull gear. (so it doesn't ram into you, or jerk when moving away from you)

Someone posted a thread about a winter trip in there a year or two ago.

ÜberFly
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Technically random camping in Kananaskis is not allowed (even in the winter)!! The only "offical" winter camping spot in Kananaskis is up at Rummel Lake (which is NOT open for fishing in the winter!)!

P

Albertadiver
10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Technically random camping in Kananaskis is not allowed (even in the winter)!! The only "offical" winter camping spot in Kananaskis is up at Rummel Lake (which is NOT open for fishing in the winter!)!

P

This was on the BC side, where it was allowed.

You can also winter camp at the Buller day use area.

Found the thread I was thinking of...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28370

More than just a few years old!

czoom
10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah you are crazy, I would not do it.

Heavy K
10-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Not crazy - your efforts just might be more fruitful elsewhere. Ice fishing at Burstall Lakes could be described as mediocre at best. Heads up that moving water is present at inlets and outlets and should be treated as caution.

Edit regarding Diver's statement: Given that people apparently consider the hike in to the Lake to be heinous, getting up and over the pass into the BC side to camp seems like a non-option for most on this site, not to mention snowpack stability issues. I'm guessing The lakes are a ways away from BC border for most AOers.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it wouldn't be the first time a ticked off CO has read the riot act to illegitimate backcountry campers, even those adopting zero-trace principles. They don't like it too much along the Spray road in my experience. :)

HK

Okotokian
10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Haha anybody have any tips for me? regarding Burstall lakes or pack in ice fishing in general?
It would be appreciated

Yes, I have one... get in really good shape.

Wild&Free
10-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Don't go alone, and be prepared enough to spend the night, just in case. Collapsable shovel, emergency blankets, one of those mylar sleeping bags, lots of energy bars, a little stove to melt snow. Avalanche beacon might also be advisable.

jacenbeers
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Regarding Burstall specifically, the hike really isn't all that bad so that is a pretty good choice for a lake to hike into.