BeeGuy
10-21-2012, 12:12 AM
What's the problem?

deanmc
10-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Yawn.

michaelmicallef
10-21-2012, 12:30 AM
They were here first. That's all that matters.

Acesneights
10-21-2012, 12:38 AM
They were here first. That's all that matters.

How long do we have to give up the resources of this country....ohh ya forever. Sounds like a fair deal...

farmhunter
10-21-2012, 12:42 AM
the video was no surprise! we are just as to blame.

waterninja
10-21-2012, 04:27 AM
this happens every year in HUNDREDS of rivers and lakes in b.c. it's nothing new and the govt. says it's legal. natives have special privelages and hopefully someday this will change.
a few years ago there was an article in van. newspaper that said the b.c. native land claims that are going through the court system actually total more than the total land mass of b.c. go figure.

Dale S
10-21-2012, 05:56 AM
They have probably been doing that since the last iceage.And will do it too the next iceage.

hiddenwalleye
10-21-2012, 06:57 AM
:confused:...Love the Traditional Methods, I know it is their rights to do this, but they should have to follow how their Great Grandfathers caught fish or have hunted, using methods 100 years ago, love all the F-Bombs, doesn't really appear to be Subsistence Gathering does it.???

Brutal

:cry:

HW

Troutguy
10-21-2012, 06:59 AM
This is just not right for anyone to do this!!!!!:angry3:

Wild&Free
10-21-2012, 07:20 AM
this happens every year in HUNDREDS of rivers and lakes in b.c. it's nothing new and the govt. says it's legal. natives have special privelages and hopefully someday this will change.
a few years ago there was an article in van. newspaper that said the b.c. native land claims that are going through the court system actually total more than the total land mass of b.c. go figure.

One must consider that there were societies and cultures here before the imaginary lines of the british were put upon the map. These societies and cultures didn't always get along and there were many territorial disputes, and wars between bands that were never settled. Hence the overlapping claims on territory. It's not a BC specific, nor Native specific thing either. There are hundreds of claims worldwide of overlapping territory.

on a side note, that harvest was minor compared to what used to be killed pre colonial days. Not sure about the island, but the estuary of the skeena and tidally influenced part of the river has been estimated to have held a native population of over 100'000 before small pox.

This type of fishing is less harmful due to the fact that those pools fill up at high tide and a lot of salmon are able to move past them before the water recedes again and natives do manage there harvest somewhat, elders know that if no salmon make it up no salmon will return. A commercial fishing boat on the other hand can encricle and harvest an entire river system or tributaries salmon run in a single swoop.

Got2fish
10-21-2012, 07:22 AM
One must consider that there were societies and cultures here before the imaginary lines of the british were put upon the map. These societies and cultures didn't always get along and there were many territorial disputes, and wars between bands that were never settled. Hence the overlapping claims on territory. It's not a BC specific, nor Native specific thing either. There are hundreds of claims worldwide of overlapping territory.

on a side note, that harvest was minor compared to what used to be killed pre colonial days. Not sure about the island, but the estuary of the skeena and tidally influenced part of the river has been estimated to have held a native population of over 100'000 before small pox.

This type of fishing is less harmful due to the fact that those pools fill up at high tide and a lot of salmon are able to move past them before the water recedes again and natives do manage there harvest somewhat, elders know that if no salmon make it up no salmon will return. A commercial fishing boat on the other hand can encricle and harvest an entire river system or tributaries salmon run in a single swoop.

Agreed.

Wild&Free
10-21-2012, 07:24 AM
:confused:...Love the Traditional Methods, I know it is their rights to do this, but they should have to follow how their Great Grandfathers caught fish or have hunted, using methods 100 years ago, love all the F-Bombs, doesn't really appear to be Subsistence Gathering does it.???

Brutal

HW

rocks pools, nets, traps, weirs, spears, bows, and any other way you can think of catching a salmon without a hook, rod, reel, or any explosives or industrial era technology is a traditional method. Native people are not stupid.

e40water12
10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
nothing wrong there. I just think its BS in lower mainland of BC, Has a slow return run of fish. But Natives can still catch fish. The no fishing should be for everyone.

Guitarplayingfish
10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
What's the problem?

This is a sad video.

Of course YOU don't see a problem with it..

How did you get back on the forum anyhow?
You should still be banned IMO.

Serengeti Charters
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Id really hope so, and its not right to compare the two as pre colonial there were a hell of a lot more salmon...this is downright disgusting, they are bashing the crap out of the fish and the meat will be no good to eat, this is not for a food fishery as its supposed to be...they sell these on the side of the road.

Tactical Lever
10-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Real "stewarts of the land". There is no such thing as "sustenance hunting" (or fishing) in Canada, as there is no conceivable way to starve to death here. Collapse on the street from lack of food? You will be picked up, given medical attention and food.

And if there was such a thing as sustenance fishing/hunting, should it not apply in a conservationally sound way to every citizen?

Wild&Free
10-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Id really hope so, and its not right to compare the two as pre colonial there were a hell of a lot more salmon...this is downright disgusting, they are bashing the crap out of the fish and the meat will be no good to eat, this is not for a food fishery as its supposed to be...they sell these on the side of the road.

There were a hell of a lot more salmon in those days because there was very little trade in pacific salmon in europe before America was colonized. It's not the native's fault that the influence of Europeans and their descendants has brought salmon levels down to their current levels. The blame for salmon stock collapse firmly rests upon those who allowed the quest for profit and trade and not those looking to fufil thier basic human needs, be they of any race, creed or nationality.

It should also be noted that there is historical evidence that the bounty of the sea was used for trade by costal natives with inland tribes, I don't see selling salmon on the side of the road as a deviation from traditional uses of salmon. Of course Ooligan was the primary trade good, but not many white men care for rotting greasy oil fish.

As for the meat being bruised. Maybe they like it tenderized, or perhaps those fish are destined for a smoke house to be desicated and saved for winter/spring. If all those fish were destined to be sold on the side of the road, the poorer qaulity of bruised fish will detract people from buying again, and the video will certianly detract some people from buying fish from the capilano natives. Honestly though if there was a camera on a net in the ocean showing thousands of salmon being drowned and dragged along it would be equally, if not more, disturbing.

steelhead
10-21-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm good with the methods they used.

Tiny impact compared to the gazillion other white based threats to salmon stocks.

Arent these hatchery raised fish?

The white mans dam killed the cohos there long ago. Now they have to hatchery raise them.

I see that as the whitemans way of saying, "i'm sorry for destroying your river, heres a few you can still catch, but were not gonna like it!"

I wish I had an invite to that one. Looks like a blast!

STEELHEAD

Kokanee9
10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Read up on what the railway did to the fraser river at hell's gate and the effect it had on the salmon. Now there is something to get mad about.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
rocks pools, nets, traps, weirs, spears, bows, and any other way you can think of catching a salmon without a hook, rod, reel, or any explosives or industrial era technology is a traditional method. Native people are not stupid.

BINGO . Its never going to stop

Read up on what the railway did to the Fraser river at hell's gate and the effect it had on the salmon. Now there is something to get mad about.

X 2 .

Its amazing some of the things the members here get upset about , but look at the things that happen here . Guys tossing fish back like there footballs , Or letting there fish roll around in the mud , the list goes on and on . But as soon as there a group of natives , doing what they do every year as its there heritage , you get guys crying foul . Perhaps its just jealousy , or what have you . Maybe we need to look at the issues closer to home before we get drifting to far away .

npauls
10-21-2012, 01:56 PM
This is a sad video.

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_shakeshout:

just_dave
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
love all the F-Bombs

Yeah well, they'd speak in their native language but they had that beaten out of them.

pickrel pat
10-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Id really hope so, and its not right to compare the two as pre colonial there were a hell of a lot more salmon.

x2. its those little rock fish traps that decimated the stocks!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

bb356
10-21-2012, 04:03 PM
The video need's some woman and children dispatching and gutting these fish on the traditional side of thing's ... I give this vid an F !!!

BeeGuy
10-21-2012, 04:16 PM
:cry:This is a sad video.

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_shakeshout:

pickrel pat
10-21-2012, 04:26 PM
:love0025::cry:

stein
10-21-2012, 05:00 PM
maybe these guys should just fish with nets, would do less damage, right here in Alberta too ...

http://youtu.be/h-zBgRVc_Rc

tim3500
10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Guys this vidio is old and this practice has been going on for some time amd will never stop ! . I dont condone it in anyway but if being a stewart of the land should they at least protect ther immage in the same manner As a hunter not grandstanding there game threw town on the hood of there truck or a sporty snaging fish and saying it was a fair catch . I witness worse than this display all the time on the Fraser buy our Stewarts of the land and sportys alike . That fishery is mostly hatchery that is to be used as a result of our tax dollars . What I did see is a lot of wild fish there and thats wrong as they are brude tock for our future .Penning is the most selective way to use a resorce like that but it needs to be done propper and not attacked like Savages and I hope there elders shook there heads with discust at that display and remind that they have a responsobility to uphold a propper immage if they want to display savage like display grab a speer and put on a loin cloth and look like one . Beach siening is way worse you have no idea of the waist thats caused by this I am working on some vids to display after the fall runs are done the Capalino is childs play

Guitarplayingfish
10-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Sorry Bee, that wasn't very nice of me to say.. It has been dealt with and that's that.

Wild&Free
10-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Guys this vidio is old and this practice has been going on for some time amd will never stop ! . I dont condone it in anyway but if being a stewart of the land should they at least protect ther immage in the same manner As a hunter not grandstanding there game threw town on the hood of there truck or a sporty snaging fish and saying it was a fair catch . I witness worse than this display all the time on the Fraser buy our Stewarts of the land and sportys alike . That fishery is mostly hatchery that is to be used as a result of our tax dollars . What I did see is a lot of wild fish there and thats wrong as they are brude tock for our future .Penning is the most selective way to use a resorce like that but it needs to be done propper and not attacked like Savages and I hope there elders shook there heads with discust at that display and remind that they have a responsobility to uphold a propper immage if they want to display savage like display grab a speer and put on a loin cloth and look like one . Beach siening is way worse you have no idea of the waist thats caused by this I am working on some vids to display after the fall runs are done the Capalino is childs play

Where does this stewart (that's how the name is spelled, not the title btw) or the land business come about? Our stewards are a bunch of acronyms and beaurocrats who are more concerned with what you can't do then with what you can do.

tim3500
10-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Wild&free . What you just said made no sence to were I commented . I use stewart of the land (who cares about my spelling Idont! )as a definition of the first nations people in this vidio viewed ! I live in the Lower Main Land and having friends that are First Nations agree that this isnt a good repersentation of sustainable harvest or repersentation of there Band and members . Sustainable harvest starts with using wild stocks to creat a healthy hatchery most of those fish were wild ! The fish caught in a beach sein are on there spawning beds and have no comercial value but are still harvested its like shooting a hen on the nest. Penning can be done right but you have to use selective harvest first

steelhead
10-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Right on Tim,

Make those protest videos of the atrocitys committed by these people. With your knowledge, and passion for the subject, its sure to be a winner!!!:bad_boys_20:

I'm glad its people like Tim that are members of organizations like, save the whales, PETA, and hamster rescue society of BC.

Were not safe as outdoorspersons from these well educated folk!

Broaden your thinking Tim, Way more factors than netters that are harming the coho, and you havent mentioned any of them yet! You have just mentioned what the media shows you.

STEELHEAD

And I found Stewart for ya!!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/yatzeeones/stewart.jpg

tim3500
10-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Ya save the world LOL! Going next weekend to pen some Thompson river Stealhead with my save the hamster friends friends lol

Acesneights
10-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Yeah well, they'd speak in their native language but they had that beaten out of them.

Still Newfoundland had it figured out...the only war that resulted in a mercy payment of free range of our resources.

Draxx11
10-21-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty new to this forum but I am sickened by how many threads I've read in my short time here about Native Americans doing this and that. In this day and age you'd think people would move on from something so stupid. Wasting meat and animals all together is sickening, don't matter if your White, Red, Black, Brown or Yellow! If there's any kind of poaching it automatically starts into a finger pointing match based on race. I think the bigger issue is obviously being missed and also thought people as a whole, were better than that.

I've watched this video a few times now and even though it is on a reserve, there are quite a few caucasians present. That or those are some of the fairest skinned natives I've ever seen. Regardless I do not agree with what happened but there is no need for people to start bashing races. It's quite pathetic.

Will this ever stop? I doubt it, but there is hope..

fishunter327
10-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Supply and demand ,when people stop buying fish out of the back of vans for 6 bucks apiece then maybe just maybe things will change.imho FH327

BeeGuy
10-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Supply and demand ,when people stop buying fish out of the back of vans for 6 bucks apiece then maybe just maybe things will change.imho FH327

Funny.

At the right time of year I can get full size wild salmon from the grocery store in Calgary.

You guessed it. 6 bucks a pop.

Bunch of guys crying about a handful of salmon and some sarcastic remarks about penning steelhead in the Thompson?

Really?

How many commercial vessels do you think these groups are equivalent to? The answer of course is none.

Why isn't anyone crying about rich white folk splitting limits on guided salmon trips?

Truth is, we know the reason, and there aren't too many here willing to state it how it is, or in other words, call a spade a spade.

Proximate and Ultimate.

Seeing some guys pulling salmon out of the river is sad. Proximate.

Our anadromous salmonid fisheries are in pretty bad shape and it ain't the indians fault. Ultimate.

Given that, now who's fault is it?

fishunter327
10-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Our anadromous salmonid fisheries are in pretty bad shape and it ain't the indians fault. Ultimate.

Given that, now who's fault is it?[/QUOTE]

I am not saying it is FN's fault,I,m suggesting it,s the people buying unregulated fish that doesn't help attempt of managing the fishery.Commies ,rec fishers ,FN ,everybody wants too much pie.

Jayhad
10-22-2012, 08:30 AM
What's the problem?

X2

Okotokian
10-22-2012, 08:45 AM
We have already had a thread on this video, and my response hasn't changed. Hang on, I'll get you the addy for PETA.

Wild&Free
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty new to this forum but I am sickened by how many threads I've read in my short time here about Native Americans doing this and that. In this day and age you'd think people would move on from something so stupid. Wasting meat and animals all together is sickening, don't matter if your White, Red, Black, Brown or Yellow! If there's any kind of poaching it automatically starts into a finger pointing match based on race. I think the bigger issue is obviously being missed and also thought people as a whole, were better than that.

I've watched this video a few times now and even though it is on a reserve, there are quite a few caucasians present. That or those are some of the fairest skinned natives I've ever seen. Regardless I do not agree with what happened but there is no need for people to start bashing races. It's quite pathetic.

Will this ever stop? I doubt it, but there is hope..

agreed

Has anyone ever stopped and considered that Canadian law does not allow for discrimination based upon race, and that if one group or race is assigned a right to act in a certian matter then every group should have the same rights. Honestly if you don't like what natives do, challenge the sections of the Indian Act, and other legislation, that permits the actions you don't like and that only certian groups can do. It'll either work out that we are all permitted to do it, or no one is.

@Tim, you should consider caring about your spelling as being able to properly and intellegently represent yourself and your views will have more impact then not being able to. Just a suggestion to improve your presence and ability to get your point across.

Secondly, Natives are not stewards of the land. Some Natives are employed by their band, or by the local/prov./fed. gov't to act as stewards, just like people from all nationalities in the country are. You seem to attach this title to make it appear that native people should behave in a certian fashion. But you can call a spoon a fork, but it doesn't become a fork now does it. They are just people living their life as they believe is right like everyone else.

Also, penning salmon at there spawning grounds was probably done in the past as fully developed Roe skeins and Milt sacs contain more nutrients then underdeveloped one. Not sure about the natives in the lower mainland, but I know the ones in the NW and up into Alaska do eat salmon caviar and milt sacs, as well as the liver (good with eggs for breakfast imo) and other organs from the fish.

@FH327 I'd rather buy an unregulated product then a regulated one personally. As I know the proceeds of unregulated products will go to the ones making/acquiring the products and not filtered back up through distributors, marketers, commercial operations, their lobby groups, and a central gov't. Of course, I do ask a lot of questions and do my best to ensure that their practices are inline with my own personal veiws of sustainability, conservation, and continuation of the resource. I catch my own salmon, and have never bought one off the side of the road, or from the grocery store for that matter.

The gov't stamps approval on so many 'regulated' products only to turn around and recall them for being unsafe. Look at the pharmaceutical industry as just one prime example, or the recent closure of XL foods plant in Brooks.

czoom
10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow using a over sized net to catch defenseless salmon is now a sport. Wow Sucks for the spawn!!!

Geezle
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Didn't we beat this horse to death a couple months ago?

EORE
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Yeah but was it a wild or a feral horse?

Wild&Free
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Someone will probably put it up again in a few more months too.

Dead Horse Beating will soon become an Olympic sport and I for one need the practice.