PDA

View Full Version : Frank Lake?

Okotokian
10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Was duck hunting there (east of High River) a few days ago and I could have sworn I saw some fish jumping, but the lake isn't listed in the PP1 regs nor have I ever heard of anyone fishing there. Anyone know if there is anything in there?

Wild&Free
10-22-2012, 04:43 PM
bring a rod and reel next time and find out. if it's not listed then it goes by the general regs anyways.

Gust
10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Shouldnt be fish there, though its a feeder for clear but about as shallow as a dinner party thrown by steven harper.

Were they leapers or risers?

Feathered of finned?

C & C
10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I thought I seen fish in there as well, on both sides of the dam.

Okotokian
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Shouldnt be fish there, though its a feeder for clear but about as shallow as a dinner party thrown by steven harper.

Were they leapers or risers?

Feathered of finned?

A little more than just rising, but no big leaps. I waited to see if any ducks or muscrats emerged a ways away... nothing. Wonder if there are perhaps bait fish in there. Or has the bucket brigade visited?

Dust1n
10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Perhaps suckers rising. They rise a lot on blind man river at dusk and through the summer nights. They also started to suspend in large numbers at waskasoo park pond this time of year and were taking little midges-could be suckers…

Lambo
10-22-2012, 05:44 PM
wishful thinking like a thirsty man in the desert seeing a mirage :)

npauls
10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
I am thinking probably baitfish, suckers, or possibly whitefish. If there is a water system flowing into it with fish then there will be some sort of fish species in there. They may not last long due to high water temps in the summer or freezing solid in the winter but I am sure they would get in there.

WayneChristie
10-22-2012, 09:32 PM
rainbow trout, walleye, pike, and probably a few Inconnu. amazing fishery that lake is, one of Albertas best kept secrets

Buck Krazy
10-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah what wayne said, a true gem. Dont tell your friends!

Gust
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Just rember to use the hipwaders with the snowshoe sized soles to stop you from vanishing into the mud.

goldscud
10-22-2012, 10:03 PM
The water from Cargill flowing into the lake is loved by your favorite sportsfish

Gust
10-22-2012, 10:51 PM
The water from Cargill flowing into the lake is loved by your favorite sportsfish

That's what makes me think that the fish okotoking saw may have had both fur and feather.

jacenbeers
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
The water that flows in is the waste water from High River. I am pretty sure there are not any fish coming in from that source. I dont think fish would do well in there. The water is super muddy and very acidic.

Buck Krazy
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
jacenbeers The water that flows in is the waste water from High River. I am pretty sure there are not any fish coming in from that source. I dont think fish would do well in there. The water is super muddy and very acidic.

What do u know?

Rick.
10-23-2012, 01:31 PM
jacenbeers The water that flows in is the waste water from High River. I am pretty sure there are not any fish coming in from that source. I dont think fish would do well in there. The water is super muddy and very acidic.

What do u know?

I live in High River and I've always been told it is waste water from Cargill meat processing plant that is pumped out to Frank lake, not water from the town. Frank lake is certainly bigger than it was before Cargill. Great place for bird watching but never heard of anyone fishing there. Rick.

Fishingaddict
10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I was fed a lot of crap last year on this subject people telling me there was salmon char trout and Asian carp but I did some research from the town of high river and they said none maybe a few suckers but it's all Cargills waste and run off water don't fall for it

jacenbeers
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

What do u know?

Everything.

Buck Krazy
10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Ive read your posts, at least you're trying!

jacenbeers
10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
My 2012 New Years resolution was to give it my all on the AO forum this year.

jacenbeers
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I got the information that I said at the top of the post from a sign at Frank Lake that I read when I was there a few weeks ago. Where the dirty water flows into the slough, there is a sign that says to be careful wading in the water because it is wastewater from High River.

Badback
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Found this about Frank Lake online...Both wastewaster from High River and Cargill....Or you can check it out at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lake_(Alberta)

The lake has had a history of years of being completely dry, and years of being flooded. The main goal of managing Frank Lake is to ensure that the lake is a permanent waterbody, which will improve wildlife habitat.

Water control measures have been implemented to help ensure that water levels are maintained. Measures include the building of dikes and water control structures as well as the building of a pipeline from High River to channel treated effluent from the town of High River and a local food processing plant. Water quality is regularly monitored.

Nesting boxes, nesting platforms, and rock islands are among the structures placed around the lake to encourage nesting and improve habitat. The Important Bird Areas program considers Frank Lake to be the most important wetland in southwestern Alberta for the production of waterfowl and other water birds.[2]

Mutter87
10-25-2012, 01:09 PM
So with them adding rocks and nesting platforms, are we allowed to hunt it durring season?

Okotokian
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Absolutely. I think they might frown on you shooting from the observation building though.

Okotokian
10-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Ive read your posts, at least you're trying!

Jacenbeers has more posts than you, ergo he must be smarter and know more than you. LOL ;) :scared0018:

Buck Krazy
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Just havin fun, board gets boring here and there.

tight line
10-25-2012, 04:11 PM
I was fed a lot of crap last year on this subject people telling me there was salmon char trout and Asian carp but I did some research from the town of high river and they said none maybe a few suckers but it's all Cargills waste and run off water don't fall for it

Salmon char trout??? Lol

BeeGuy
10-25-2012, 10:24 PM

What do u know?

Everything.

more or less

Gust
10-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Everything.

At least you are being frank about the lake.

Fishingaddict
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Salmon char trout??? Lol I know did not believe it for a second just laughed :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
10-26-2012, 09:55 AM
At least you are being frank about the lake.

Ha!