PDA

View Full Version : My lake whitefish rig

WayneChristie
10-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Should be giving this a go pretty quick,didnt have a reel figured out last year, but turning more redneck by the day down here, and thought this one up while daydreaming at work, tests out great. Arrows have a Gar tip, if they will puncture armourplate they should do nicely for whites. :sHa_shakeshout:
ziptied the bottle to the bow and used a bit of redneck wrapping paper to keep it from slipping. :bad_boys_20:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF3294.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF3295.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF3296.jpg

RavYak
10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
You should use a normal closed face fishing reel, just tie it on sideways on the back side, press the release button fire and then reel it in lol. Not sure if a spinning reel would work, definitely wouldn't use a baitcaster though unless you want backlash hell.

WayneChristie
10-23-2012, 02:01 PM
tried my big baitcaster with 80 pound braid, the shock snapped the line everytime I fired it. dont need lots of line Im only shooting short distances. I like my 10 cent reel, easy to wind the line back on with gloves.

walking buffalo
10-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Wayne,

Is the fishing line secured to the arrow with a slider?

Rednecks are famous for learning the hard way. You are not that red, yet. :D

Guitarplayingfish
10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe if you knew how to fish you wouldn't have to resort to a redneck bow & arrow.

fishermansfriend
10-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Maybe if you knew how to fish you wouldn't have to resort to a redneck bow & arrow.

Fishing with a bow is a great way to fish, maybe if you were a little less narrow minded you'd be able to see that.

npauls
10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Fishing with a bow is a great way to fish, maybe if you were a little less narrow minded you'd be able to see that.

Or maybe he just doesn't feel that bow fishing is sporting like rod and reel fishing.

Guitarplayingfish
10-23-2012, 02:48 PM

I wouldn't call it fishing... I would call it shooting fish in a barrel..

Only half the battle of fishing is finding the fish.. The other half is presenting something that will entice or trick the fish into biting..

Whitefish spawn = hundreds and hundreds right beside shore.. Hell I could scoop them up with a net if I wanted to. Do you want to call that fishing too?

The Fisherman Guy
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Bowfishing is legal, so get over it and quit yer whining!

Great looking setup Wayne, looking forward to enjoying some of your smoked whitefish on the ice again this year.

WayneChristie
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM

jesus loves you

WayneChristie
10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't call it fishing... I would call it shooting fish in a barrel..

Only half the battle of fishing is finding the fish.. The other half is presenting something that will entice or trick the fish into biting..

Whitefish spawn = hundreds and hundreds right beside shore.. Hell I could scoop them up with a net if I wanted to. Do you want to call that fishing too?

funny I dont see anywhere that said Im shooting them in a lake while they are spawning.

C & C
10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks like a cool setup, i wonder if one of those kite spool things would work in the future if the bottle needs to be replaced.

I dunno if Guitar would make it to the fishoff, he might step off the pavement and kill a bug.

FishingFrenzy
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
If a guy could take an old or cheap flyreel, "fix it" so there's no drag and it just free spools...that would work pretty sweet. Heck even spool it with flyline backing and your set!

Regardless of your reel, that looks like a ton of fun Wayne. Not sure why people are so quick to diss. Im not sure what makes bowfishing any less of a sport than fishing? If I went golfing with a hockey stick, like Happy Gilmore, and I outplayed Tiger Woods, would I be any less of a golfer...?

slingshotz
10-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Looks like you have the same arrows I do for my bowfishing setup. If you have the safety slide, make sure you try and use it. If your line catches on any part of your rig, you can get arrow snapback on release and it can be deadly.

Unless you are wearing a coat of armor, then ignore me :)

You think the water is going down yet in the canal? This cold weather snap is getting me itching to use the bow.

My rig is similar to this: http://www.qualityarcherybows.com/images/Archery_Bows/Bowfishing_Bows/AMS_2012_Fish_Hawk_Bowfishing_Kit.jpg

BobLoblaw
10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
You think the water is going down yet in the canal?

Canal???
But, the canals have all been shut down, haven't they?
Aren't all the fish left in the canals trapped & doomed to die soon?
Does it really matter if some hillbilly shoots them with an arrow, takes 'em home & eats 'em?
Wouldn't I feel like an idjit if I had assumed this hillbilly was putting arrows through spawning fish in a lake?
Yes, I would.

Guitarplayingfish
10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Canal???
But, the canals have all been shut down, haven't they?
Aren't all the fish left in the canals trapped & doomed to die soon?
Does it really matter if some hillbilly shoots them with an arrow, takes 'em home & eats 'em?
Wouldn't I feel like an idjit if I had assumed this hillbilly was putting arrows through spawning fish in a lake?
Yes, I would.

I didn't say anything about Wayne shooting in a lake or reservoir..
I said it was comparable to netting whitefish during spawn... Shooting fish in a barrel..

Some of you forum members sure are good at putting words in other peoples mouths..

BBT
10-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Break out the Camo Speedo :scared0018:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/prov-regs.html

Spearfishing / Bowfishing

A special licence for spearfishing or bowfishing is not required. Spearfishing and bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
Spears or bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Spearfishing or bowfishing are not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes.

Mutter87
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
HE uses the Lake Whitefish as bait for pike durring ice season.

cranky
10-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Looks like a barbed hook to me.:scared0018:

WayneChristie
10-23-2012, 06:40 PM
HE uses the Lake Whitefish as bait for pike durring ice season.

not really, that would be illegal, I use them to feed my belly. got other treats for the pike in my freezer :sHa_shakeshout:
The whites were stocked to provide a commercial fishing opportunity, not for sportfishing, and netting them during the spawn allows the commercial fishermen to sell the roe to Japan which allows the commercial fishermen to make money off them. The sportfishing opportunity is just a bonus

Mutter87
10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
not really, that would be illegal, I use them to feed my belly. got other treats for the pike in my freezer :sHa_shakeshout:
The whites were stocked to provide a commercial fishing opportunity, not for sportfishing, and netting them during the spawn allows the commercial fishermen to sell the roe to Japan which allows the commercial fishermen to make money off them. The sportfishing opportunity is just a bonus

Ah, my appologies. I thought that's what you had stocked up in your freezer.

ak-71
10-24-2012, 12:46 AM

Good for them commercial fishermen and roe lovers in Japan...
And big thanks to them that, sometimes, they even allow us to fish in these public waters too...

Did you try this setup yet?

waterninja
10-24-2012, 04:04 AM
wayne. i know it's been awhile since you hooked a sturgeon, but come on now. that rig you invented is the same one that hop a long cassidy used to commit suicide in his shower. very strange case.

ak-71
10-24-2012, 08:50 AM
I am sure you did some "dry runs", but just by looking at it I would suspect that reel will fly right after the arrow

jacenbeers
10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
The rig looks awesome, Wayne. I hope you post some pics of the fish you take down with it.