PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite method of smoking whitefish?

Guitarplayingfish
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Anyone willing to share recipes? :sHa_shakeshout:

I have become accustomed to my smoker and I would like to try smoking a white this year..

I have had one in the past made by a friend and I found it rather greasy.. did not really enjoy it. That is the only time I have tried it, but I hear it can be really great. Due to my past experience, I am hesitant to smoke a whitefish but I am hoping one of your recipes can remedy this.

Rustomatic
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
i find the hardest part to smoking a fish is keeping them lit.

loopyalcsel
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Ask Wayne.

Guitarplayingfish
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Ask Wayne.

I didn't realize Wayne was the only one who smoked fish on this forum... :thinking-006:

I'm looking for options... not just one persons take on a recipe.

Piker
10-23-2012, 08:34 PM
White fish are kinda of fat or greasy which does not make a good smoked fish. What I do is freeze them for at least 3 months and then brine them using whatever you like for spices and then smoking them . Try to keep the temps below the cooking point or they are not good. Like 140 f if you have control of the temp. Piker

tight line
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Ove been smokng them on my barbeque with maple pellets, and spiced with "big green egg" maple spice from barbeque country, soak them in brine not too salty, lots of brown sugar, can of doctor pepper in it. 6-8 hours 150+\-f. Pretty tasty. I skin and bone them and put them on tinfoil.

BeeGuy
10-23-2012, 09:41 PM
i find the hardest part to smoking a fish is keeping them lit.

I find the hardest part to smoking a fish is choosing which end to light and which end to pull from.

BeeGuy
10-23-2012, 09:42 PM
salt and brown sugar rub and let them sit overnight.

lots of recipes on the interweb

208prov
10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
salt and brown sugar rub and let them sit overnight.

lots of recipes on the interweb

I agree morton sugar cure mix with brown sugar lawrys salt over night, Smoked heavy for 2 hours, 180 for 5 hours, smoke about 30 fish at a time, Love the cold lake white, They average 2.3 lbs, Smoked about 500 fish from primrose, just used good dry poplar,

BeeGuy
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I used regular salt and brown sugar and a bag of alder chips from crappy tire.

would love to do up some more but would like a bigger/better smoker. Not sure how it would work in the winter.

Gust
10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Mix equal parts brown sugar and sea salt dissolved in enough water to cover your fish, add half a cup of lemon juice to the mix. We sometimes add real crushed garlic.

For the chunkier species, its ok to score the skin with a fillet knife but not too deep.

Smoke at 180 for 6 hours, 8 for dryer (my fave).

Make sure smoke - if using a homemade jobby- can gather and escape yet maintain decent heat.

We let em cool in the smoker then into paper wrapping for a couple of days.

They have this bag of jack daniels casks chipped into pellets that I want to try. Bourbon smoked fish sounds just too good not to try.

ak-71
10-24-2012, 12:16 AM
I do all my smoking wrong by local standards
I just salt overnight and smoke, no sugar. I don't filet them either - just gut and use some sticks to keep belly open.

RMauthe
10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
I find the hardest part to smoking a fish is choosing which end to light and which end to pull from.

What kind of papers do you use?

slingshotz
10-24-2012, 09:37 PM
See my post in: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=76891&highlight=smoking

Wild&Free
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I do all my smoking wrong by local standards
I just salt overnight and smoke, no sugar. I don't filet them either - just gut and use some sticks to keep belly open.

I don't like sugar in my cures either, but on occasion I do 'candy' some smoked fish up for something different. You should try to 'butterfly' those fish. Gut them, then cut down the ribs from the belly side to the skin of the back, remove the backbone and hang them from the back skin, they stay open better.

A proper brine is 7 parts water to 1 part salt. I use a mix of apple juice, white wine, soya sauce and water to make up the liquid portion, and coarse salt and some compensatioin for the soya sauce for the salt portion. I only bring for 4-6 hours before smoking. Doesn't take very long for salt to replace water in flesh. Overnight soaks just get more flavour from everything else in it.

jacenbeers
10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I used regular salt and brown sugar and a bag of alder chips from crappy tire.

would love to do up some more but would like a bigger/better smoker. Not sure how it would work in the winter.

You got a problem with my smoker? Geez.

Buck Krazy
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Gotta let them dry once out of the brine. Smoke probably 40 a year lakes and rockies. The fat and oil in whites is what makes them the best for smoking. Can't beat it!

fish99
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
i use a propane torch to light mine