PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Nymphing with Straight Mono/Fluoro

Bullfighter
10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Can anyone share their success or comment on nymphing with straight mono and/or fluoro directly from the fly line? I've heard the comment that a tapered leader in the heavy top end can drag and resist the nymphing flies from getting to the bottom. If using straight line directly from fly line, is it much harder to turnover the cast?

sraak
10-23-2012, 10:02 PM
My limited experience with this is that proper casting is tricky but lobbing the nymph back upstream (using current to load the rod) is fine. It's also way cheaper.

goldscud
10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
You could just use about 3ft of 20lb mono off the flyline and then add on whatever you like below that. Should help turn it over.

Bhflyfisher
10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Take 5-6' 15lb maxima ultragreen to a swivel (any size you want), then run 3-4 feet of whatever 8lb fluoro tippet/line you want. Its not so much tapered, and gets the job done. Pretty easy to build too.

bobalong
10-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Can anyone share their success or comment on nymphing with straight mono and/or fluoro directly from the fly line? I've heard the comment that a tapered leader in the heavy top end can drag and resist the nymphing flies from getting to the bottom. If using straight line directly from fly line, is it much harder to turnover the cast?

I would stick with the tapered leader, IMO they turn over much better. Use a bit of weight, longer leader or weighted nymphs if you don't think your nymphs are getting down.

wildcat111
10-23-2012, 10:51 PM
i break my taper leader off about half way up and use regular line instead of tippet, i almost always outfish everyone that goes with me on the bow, have always fished this way and always catch fish, i use a 6 lb triline, i tryed 4lbs but it stretches to much after a fish and needs replacing, 6 lb works awesome.

Lornce
10-24-2012, 07:35 AM
i break my taper leader off about half way up and use regular line instead of tippet, i almost always outfish everyone that goes with me on the bow, have always fished this way and always catch fish, i use a 6 lb triline, i tryed 4lbs but it stretches to much after a fish and needs replacing, 6 lb works awesome.

For nymphing I use the same kind of setup. Tapered leader that I cut off about at about the 6lb diameter which is on my tapered about 2/3 of the way down then use a swivel there. Tie on 6lb test and you can them do your nymph rig. Swivel acts as a bit of weight and cuts tangles.

Scott N
10-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Learniong how to properly mend my line was something that really helped me ensure my nymphs were on the bottom of the Bow. How's your mending technique Bullfighter?

Flyrod1970
10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
for nymphing i use the same kind of setup. Tapered leader that i cut off about at about the 6lb diameter which is on my tapered about 2/3 of the way down then use a swivel there. Tie on 6lb test and you can them do your nymph rig. Swivel acts as a bit of weight and cuts tangles

X2

greylynx
11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I use the same system in lakes out of a pontoon boat

A super fast sinker is at the begining of the system to adjust to variable depth.

Your fingers will do the walking.

Daceminnow
11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Take 5-6' 15lb maxima ultragreen to a swivel (any size you want), then run 3-4 feet of whatever 8lb fluoro tippet/line you want. Its not so much tapered, and gets the job done. Pretty easy to build too.

I run something similar. 12lb floro to my swivel and 8lb below to my largest bug and between my next two flys. don't be afraid to run heavier line and lots of weight on the bow. get down where the big fish lay and keep them buttoned once you've hooked em. i have posted this link before and would consider it to be helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cyGWLjBNr_c&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DcyGWLjBNr_c

Dace

Jayhad
11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I run something similar. 12lb floro to my swivel and 8lb below to my largest bug and between my next two flys. don't be afraid to run heavier line and lots of weight on the bow. get down where the big fish lay and keep them buttoned once you've hooked em. i have posted this link before and would consider it to be helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cyGWLjBNr_c&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DcyGWLjBNr_c

Dace

I agree, great set up. One small difference that will pay out for seasons is if you have a factory loop on your fly line, use either a tapered leader or heavy (25+lb) mono/floro to your swivle, smaller diameter lines will cut your loop sooner making the tip of your fly line sink when it gets water logged.