PDA

View Full Version : Quill bobber fishing in Alberta

greylynx
10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Is anyone on this forum into serious quill bobber fishing?

A boss of mine used to play with the quills and a fly like a maestro playing an orchestra. He was from Britain.

If you do quill fish, are there any special adaptations that you use for Alberta waters?

I think I going to give quill bobber fishing a serious try.

And why not. We see gentlemen trying the Spey rods on the Bow and NSR.

fish gunner
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
start with rmw and a selection of true bottom and top floats(quills) and bottom only (waggler) the two styles of floats allow you to fish in different winds. with a waggler you sink the line between the rod tip and float in unfavorable winds (down stream) . I do not have a ton of experience with fly and float, my time in europe was on waters with mainly course fish and bait was the common hook offering. I have used flies chasing greyling on occasion in rivers in england. with a good knowledge of hatches it may when used well, out fish most fly methods. I have not yet advanced to the proper centerpin technique. great topic of discussion btw.

Lornce
10-25-2012, 03:28 AM
A few years ago while fishing in southern BC I met an older gentlemen from England on the stream fishing a bamboo rod, nymphing with a fine porcupine quill indicator. He did quite well. It seemed like an interesting way to fish. We exchanged flies and chatted for a bit. Still have a hand painted quill that he gave me. Sits on my fly tying desk. As a young boy I remember some of the Europeans fishing for Carp with quill bobbers in BC.