PDA

View Full Version : Stocked Rainbows

travisj
05-13-2008, 10:25 PM
I thought about making a poll but got lazy...

If you were fishing at a local pothole lake with stocked rainobows, what would be the minimum size fish you would keep or would you keep anything you catch?
If you are fishing early in the season, in general the fish will be fairly small. Do you toss most of them back and keep more towards the end of season?
Just trying to get an idea of what would be fair to keep, not saying you couldn't keep the small ones though.

MK2750
05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Throw them all back for the kids to catch. For some kids this is the only trip to the outdoors they get.

fishman
05-13-2008, 11:12 PM
7 inchs is the smallest fish you can keep.....but why would you keep something that small......maybe for your dog

lambski
05-13-2008, 11:36 PM
a lot of these lakes have big trout, a ten pounder would look good above the fire place.

duffy4
05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Sorry double post????

duffy4
05-14-2008, 09:16 AM
7 inchs is the smallest fish you can keep.....but why would you keep something that small......maybe for your dog

Where do you see this regulation?

For me it all depends on the day and situation. If I am in the mood for eating trout I may keep a few for the table. If they seem to be biting well I may let the smaller ones go. Some days i let them all go.

We had a stocked pond on another acerage we lived at and I'd stock it with trout. My wife could never understand when I would catch one of "our trout" and then release it to fight another day. I netted it in the fall but missed afew who over wintered. They were more fun to catch the next year.

Robin in Rocky (and in the mood to eat some trout today)

gonefishin
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I Don't keep any.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I Don't keep any.

Me nither Hell I dont got the patients to fish for some little trout , and they dont taste good in batter deep fryed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.270fan
05-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I usually release most of them, but I will keep a couple 12 inch or larger for the smoker. Smoked rainbow is almost as good as smoked salmon.

bowness
05-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Reading the postings kinda confuses me. These lakes you are talking about, "pothole lakes" i would think winterkill. That means to me it is a fishery that will terminate (mostly) in January or Feb. (this depends on the year and the lake). What is wrong with harvesting some of these fish? When I fish the Bow and other river fisheries I catch and release but I have no problems taking fish from a pothole that only fishes for 6 months then dies. In my view that reduces pressure on some of our more protected fisheries. Some people seem to think that if they only catch and release they have reached a higher evolutionary standard in the fishing world. All fishermen should respect eachother for what they enjoy about fishing. No fly fishers against spinners or C and R people against those nasty fish killers who eat fish! Even small fish under 8 inches. No tell me it isnt so!

Mark
05-16-2008, 10:54 PM
A lot of the larger pothole lakes do not winterkill. Therefore I think the minimum size you should keep is 12inches. Anything else isn't really worthwhile, at least then you could have some fun when you catch them.

fishman
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Where do you see this regulation?

For me it all depends on the day and situation. If I am in the mood for eating trout I may keep a few for the table. If they seem to be biting well I may let the smaller ones go. Some days i let them all go.

We had a stocked pond on another acerage we lived at and I'd stock it with trout. My wife could never understand when I would catch one of "our trout" and then release it to fight another day. I netted it in the fall but missed afew who over wintered. They were more fun to catch the next year.

Robin in Rocky (and in the mood to eat some trout today)

i am sorry as i haven't read trout size for quite a few years as it use to be 7 inchs i see that have removed it from the regs......but on the other hand why would you keep a fish smaller then 7 inchs unless it was your kids first one but my boys learnt from the get go to release there fish and it got easier every fish for them......as they knew no diffrence as that is the way i want it and of course educated them in fishing for tommorow not just today.......but somebody will argue these are put and take lakes......so if everybody took out the fish would the fish get big..........no there would be none so i do my part so we have bigger fish by my catch and release......if you want to keep a fish that is your believe and i amok with that i am just stating my believes

Jester
05-16-2008, 11:10 PM
bleh....trout in pot hole lakes taste muddy...It's C&R for me..

sharrozap
05-17-2008, 06:37 PM
I keep 12" and bigger.I like to eat fresh fish.Last October harvest from East Pit Lake.

catnthehat
05-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I rarely keep stocked pond rainbows, but every now and then I keep one for supper, unless there are kids that fish the pond regularly, then it goes back for them.
Cat

moosehunter3-0
05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
depends if they winter or not.....

uicehole
05-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Most of these lakes are overstocked to appease the bonk 'n stack crowd so please keep the 7 inchers you catch. This weeds out the dumber fish so there's more forage for the survivors. They grow big, fat and smart and in three years, they'll be ready to harvest by me.:D

baitfisher83
05-19-2008, 11:23 PM
oops, and to think i went ti sibbald lake today and threw all 3 fish back that i caught..lolbut i dont think they even measures 6 inches let alone 7...it seems the stocked fish are gettin smaller and smaller every year..

uicehole
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Ha ha, they must have come from the same tank. Sibbald Meadows Pond was festering with the same sardines. Too bad SL doesn't overwinter.

skykomish sunrise
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Most of the local pothole lakes produce muddy fish in my opinion. The best tasting are the 12-18inch, once they get over that the sole on the bottom of my wading boot is better to eat. Time of year makes a big difference too, spring trout are better. Summer and fall fish taste worse. Better lakes for eating are carson and chain lake north, these stay cooler and the fish are firmer

Mish
05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I don't usually keep fish unless someone I know wants fresh fish. As much as I love fishing, I'm not a huge fan of eating fish. Go figure. I used to keep a lot when I first started fishing, but not anymore.

baitfisher83
05-22-2008, 07:43 AM
I thought Sibbald lake didnt winterkill???last year some guys were pulling 3 and 4 pounders out of there, and i had hooked into a couple too but they threw the hook just by the shore...<stupid me forgot the net>