PDA

View Full Version : Asian Fishermen

Izumi
05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I know this was discussed briefly around here, I thought it might be an interesting read...

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=433aecc2-affd-4c29-8953-1357167da380

bearbait
05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
good read....not just the asian though. ive caught alot of people with over limits and 0 catch fish...call them in all the time....dont think much ever comes from it as i only recived one call back from f&w and called 20+ times on the fishing side...just keep calling them in..and try to get pics of the catch as well...

cliffjumper
05-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm new to your forum, today. I'm a westcoast islander.

Read this with interest as I'm frequently reporting to our DFO not only on the Asian fishers, but also our less-well-established Russian & ex-Yugoslav fishers.

We have total bans on ling & rock cod, and the rare time-slots they are open, minimum size-limits.

Both groups not only ignore the bans, daily & size- limits, they leave a lot of garbage behind. Regrettably, as you walk by & say Hi!, they turn & ignore you. As I'm out 2X weekly, and see the same folks fairly often, you'd think some slight nod might happen at least once in a while.

I've never challenged any of them, but I suspect very few are licensed, and I've watched the 3" & 4" rock cod smacked & bucketted. These minnows don't even make enough food for a decent size ling cod to chew on.

I do suspect their working & reading ability in either French or English is negligible, and that the proper approach for DFO & F&G is to get into their community and do a bit of education as to what certain rules & regulations are, why they exist, and what reactions might be expected should they flout the laws of their new host country.

A tour by food inspectors into a few restaurants may help as well, as I also suspect some of those meals being served came from those same buckets.

Touchy topic, as anyone with the brass to bring it up is instantly labled a racist, with little remedial work on the real problem of this type of poaching.

Cheers!

Okotokian
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I've seen a similar thing down in Chain Lakes more than once. Whole family outing. Not sure where they are from, not speaking english. Seemed italian or eastern european. Anyways, numerous lines going, and every rainbow caught regardless of how small it was went into a couple of 5 gallon buckets. I made a call to F&W, don't know what finally happened.

I think some of these groups simply don't know or have a hunting or fishing tradition. Don't know our rules or bother to find out. I think they are just amazed that there is "free food" about that they can get. They are happy to do it out in the open. They need to learn Canadian rules and traditions, and then get sneakier, like white poachers ;) :lol:

Mish
05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm really glad we've figured out what ethnic groups are more prone to poaching! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for those who seem Slavic or Italian to me...and especially those pesky Chinese!!

lippy
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think we should be targeting ethnic groups on this forum..unless you're a red-necked sonofabit*h and a bigot. I have seen alot of people over the years do a lot of bad things to the resource and very few were non-caucasian.

deerassassin
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
yea geez just cause you cant trust em doesnt mean yuh need to make fun of em:(

bobbypetrolia
05-15-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm really glad we've figured out what ethnic groups are more prone to poaching! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for those who seem Slavic or Italian to me...and especially those pesky Chinese!!

And Asian fisher-women too right Mish?
Well I know for a fact we don't need to worry about you keeping too many fish.........the first part of catch-and-release (or keep) is 'catch'.
:lol:

Kyle
05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
And Asian fisher-women too right Mish?
Well I know for a fact we don't need to worry about you keeping too many fish.........the first part of catch-and-release (or keep) is 'catch'.
:lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/flyfisherman/ttile20lol.jpg

bowness
05-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Some groups may not have the knowledge or language skills to properly read the regulations. They are not the simplest to understand (and BC's are really crazy!). Also many countries do not have the same respect for fish and wildlife or anywhere near the number of protective laws related to their conservation as we do in Canada. That being said, some individuals simply take their chances. I remember the last time I didnt check a small zone closure on the Bow and got a 200.00 dollar fine. It made me think and thats what its suppose to do.

MK2750
05-17-2008, 08:11 AM
I know ignorance is no excuse, but I got angry and approached a family that was leaving a stocked pond where I take the kids with 3 grocery bags full. They had no clue they were doing something wrong, and seemed geuinely remorseful when I explained it to them.

catnthehat
05-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Ethnic background has nothing to do with catching and keeping undersized fish, over limiting , or any other act contrary to the regulations.
I have seen MANY people doing the same, and their race , creed or colour had nothing to do with me phoning or not phoning in the offense.
Poachers are poachers, period.
Cat

stubblejumper
05-17-2008, 09:39 AM
What really irritates me is when a couple of adults take a group of children fishing so that the adults can catch their limits as well.Most times,the children aren't fishing at all.I have seen this at our local stocked lake where two adults did all of the fishing,while the five children played,then they took home the full limit for seven people.

lilsundance
05-17-2008, 10:26 AM
It doesn't matter what ethnic background people come from. When people move here from a poor country and don't speak english they will do what they did in their home country. Imho its best to do one of two things. A show them the Fishing Synopsis (sp) Tell them they are breaking the law. (yes communication will be hard but most people understand the word police in any language) Or call Fish and Wildlife and let them deal with it.
I feel that no matter what country these people come from we should not sterotype them. The original post was about streotyping and abuse these people are taking because of it. Keep it on topic or this thread will be gone.

redneck posse
05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
every one here is saying that it a ethnic thing. i've seen more white english speaking people throw under sized fish in a cooler to take home for there CATS than i've seen minoritys. alot of people just need a little help and guidance to understand the laws their breaking. maby instead of sitting there complaining do like lilsundance said, help them out so they see what their doing wrong.