PDA

View Full Version : Fire and Ice

Bigdad013
10-30-2012, 01:03 PM
I have been trying to search if it's permissible to have a fire on the ice while ice fishing with no success. Anybody know if this is legal or not?

jim summit
10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Never heard of it not being legal. Along as you have enough ice.......:)

LonelyAngler
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Never heard of it not being legal. Along as you have enough ice.......:)

On Sylvan lake I have seen a group of guys get fined for littering because of their fire on the ice. Even with the ice shack the fish cops warned me about the ashes from the stove.

Duster
10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Depends on the co officer. I have seen some say yes and some say no. Cos don't care at crawling valley I know that I asked and had fire.

jim summit
10-30-2012, 01:37 PM
On Sylvan lake I have seen a group of guys get fined for littering because of their fire on the ice. Even with the ice shack the fish cops warned me about the ashes from the stove.

Guess it's way different down south, up here no bats an eye about fire on ice.

ice
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Iv never been told no, and Iv had co's come up to a few fires.

Dust1n
10-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Iv had tons of fires on the lake at sylvan. Never got a ticket-so far so good

Guitarplayingfish
10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
I have had a few fires on the ice... Not a problem.. Just don't be littering or burning garbage.

Most importantly, make sure your on some solid ice.

Fish face
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Never been an issue. i do bring a small metal fire pit with me so i dont leave too much mess.

TROLLER
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
****es me off, I cannot even count the number of times I have cleaned up the remains of a fire on the ice.

If you must have one, then use a fire container: or something. Too many people leave all their partially burnt logs on the ice for someone else to deal with.:angry3:

fishermansfriend
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
****es me off, I cannot even count the number of times I have cleaned up the remains of a fire on the ice.

If you must have one, then use a fire container: or something. Too many people leave all their partially burnt logs on the ice for someone else to deal with.:angry3:

o know wood in the lake.... hah jk but try finding someones **** hole in the ice.... easily the nastiest thing ive ever come across ice fishing..

Jimboy
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM

Actually its all enviromentaly friendly wood and ashes

B_Type13X2
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
People need to learn how to make Swedish fire torches/ Canadian Candles 1 log burns all day, very little clean up. Will keep you warm enough.

Jbone
10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Some times the ol wooden shack starts to look like the homeless have been living in it haha

bloopbloob
10-30-2012, 07:07 PM
My issue is when big pieces of wood get left on the ice. Seen lots of logs haulec out onto the ice, burnt for a while, then just left there. Then come spring, there are half burnt logs all over the lake to dodge in the boat, if lucky enough to see them

Sloughsharkjigger
10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

I have to agree with ya Troller.

Personally, I don't really care as long as people friggin clean up after themselves..... which means removing the partially burnt stuff that eventually becomes frozen to the lake and sticks out like daggers..... then gets covered by a snowfall and then I find them with my sled.:angry3::angry3::angry3: Like other people have suggested, take a burn receptacle out with you and don't, don't, don't leave any wood on the ice.

harrydude
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
It's not just the wood left behind it all the garbage people are known to leave. But a few good people will clean up Let's remember your mom is not here to clean up after yourself

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-31-2012, 04:03 PM
o know wood in the lake.... hah jk but try finding someones **** hole in the ice.... easily the nastiest thing ive ever come across ice fishing..

X2 it's lovely when your out in your boat coming across the lake at 80 k and you hit a burned up log .

Grizzly Adams
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
X2 it's lovely when your out in your boat coming across the lake at 80 k and you hit a burned up log .

Could be driftwood just as easily. You ain't driving on the highway and even there, better keep your eyes open. :D

Grizz

Speckle55
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
I fish in Switzer Provincal Park and its not legal so i use this and stay warm:sHa_shakeshout:

David:)

Walleye101
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Just bring a box with you and shovel the ashes in after. Heavan forbid you leave some ashes and burnt logs on the ice? The farmers feilds pesticides, runoff from roads, fertilizers are much better for the lakes. I say burn all you want on the ice and if you don't like it come and tell me while i'm enjoying my fresh fish and chips!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Could be driftwood just as easily. You ain't driving on the highway and even there, better keep your eyes open. :D

Grizz

Eyes were wide open looking far ahead side to side pretty difficult to see when water is choppy none the less no damage to my boat or anyone on those boat thank god .

Esox
11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Didnt you say that you have a 115 merc on your boat and it does 80km/hr, so 50 mph? I think your speedo and/or gps are out to lunch. I have the exact same boat as you have shown in your pictures (tracker) and with 1 person and just a light chop, trimmed right up and full power I only get 42mph, I have 2 buddies with 17 foot boats, both with 115's, one a merc and one a yammie, they both top out at about 42 to 44 as well.

338ultra
11-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Eyes were wide open looking far ahead side to side pretty difficult to see when water is choppy none the less no damage to my boat or anyone on those boat thank god .

is that half burnt log anchored to the bottom of the lake? i dont think so, in your choppy water that half burnt log is on the shore somewhere not in the path of your boat

Freedom55
11-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Didnt you say that you have a 115 merc on your boat and it does 80km/hr, so 50 mph? I think your speedo and/or gps are out to lunch. I have the exact same boat as you have shown in your pictures (tracker) and with 1 person and just a light chop, trimmed right up and full power I only get 42mph, I have 2 buddies with 17 foot boats, both with 115's, one a merc and one a yammie, they both top out at about 42 to 44 as well.

Methinks that BBJ, who himself is larger than life, tends to embellish his stories somewhat. Some of my associates would save a ton of money by not having to buy 250 or 300hp engines, and a hull to match, in order to be first to the "spot". Or back to the scale before closing time.

Having said that, it is known that charcoal contains toxins that are harmful to aquatic life. As it is illegal to light a fire on a river, below the high water mark, then it would also be wrong to light a fire directly on the ice of a frozen lake that is probably at its low point in the winter.

Free

Kokanee9
11-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Getting a tent and portable heater would solve the question.

MoFugger21
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Not if a person doesn't like sitting in a shack all day long....

My brother made a portable fire pit out of an old oil drum and then welded together a stand for it. We've taken it out with us a couple times, and it works like a charm and no mess to clean up afterwards.

FishingFrenzy
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Methinks that BBJ, who himself is larger than life, tends to embellish his stories somewhat. Some of my associates would save a ton of money by not having to buy 250 or 300hp engines, and a hull to match, in order to be first to the "spot". Or back to the scale before closing time.

Having said that, it is known that charcoal contains toxins that are harmful to aquatic life. As it is illegal to light a fire on a river, below the high water mark, then it would also be wrong to light a fire directly on the ice of a frozen lake that is probably at its low point in the winter.

Free

Just curious where you got that information...i'd be interested in seeing it.

Carry on.

Bigdad013
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I was originally thinking about the kids and having a fire. Do some smores and such, hot dogs. I don't think it would be much fun for them staring at a heater. I thought everyone likes a good old fashioned fire.

Freedom55
11-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Just curious where you got that information...i'd be interested in seeing it.

Carry on.

Falls under the Water Act [Activities]. I tried to track it down on-line from the Environment & SRD but the Queen's Printer wants a fee to purchase the complete Act as written. So I contacted the Province by an on-line query to speak to just the pertinent portion. A follow-up email assured me that I will get the information in 2 or 3 working days.

Because I am not spending any cash to prove the veracity of my statement (feel free to do it yourself), you will have to wait until they respond. Until then, if you want to build a fire on the ice, go ahead.

Free

Kokanee9
11-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I was originally thinking about the kids and having a fire. Do some smores and such, hot dogs. I don't think it would be much fun for them staring at a heater. I thought everyone likes a good old fashioned fire.

I understand you have well meaning, and good intentions behind having a fire.

I remember having a fire on the ice as a kid. Be aware that having one on the ice has extra dangers as well. As the fire burns it will slightly melt the ice surface around it for a 1-3ft radius, producing a very thin layer of water. This water on the ice makes the surface extremely slippery and almost impossible to stop on. If 1 of the kids comes walking in slightly too fast, it could be hazardous.

Whatever you decide on, I hope everyone has fun!

dragon
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM

early season, high water level you always run the risk of hitting debris. If your visibility was limited because of chop then perhaps you should have slowed down.

also, speaking about pigeon only as that is my experience, I have never seen a half burnt log in may in the water. Agreed that it would be difficult to see but as the ice breaks up every year it is ultimately the wind that finishes the ice off. In that case the logs are on the beach.

Bigdad013
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I understand you have well meaning, and good intentions behind having a fire.

I remember having a fire on the ice as a kid. Be aware that having one on the ice has extra dangers as well. As the fire burns it will slightly melt the ice surface around it for a 1-3ft radius, producing a very thin layer of water. This water on the ice makes the surface extremely slippery and almost impossible to stop on. If 1 of the kids comes walking in slightly too fast, it could be hazardous.

Whatever you decide on, I hope everyone has fun!

Thanks for the tip, never thought of that. I knew I would get some good pointers here

bubba 96
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM

Free

Charcoal contains carbon, its what i put in my fluval canister filters for my fishtanks, to help clarify the water,

Charcoal may be activated to increase its effectiveness as a filter. Activated charcoal readily adsorbs a wide range of organic compounds dissolved or suspended in gases and liquids. In certain industrial processes, such as the purification of sucrose from cane sugar, impurities cause an undesirable color, which can be removed with activated charcoal. It is also used to absorb odors and toxins in gases, such as air. Charcoal filters are also used in some types of gas masks. The medical use of activated charcoal is mainly the adsorption of poisons, especially in the case of suicide attempts in which the patient has ingested a large amount of a drug.[13] Activated charcoal is available without a prescription, so it is used for a variety of health-related applications. For example, it is often used to reduce discomfort (and embarrassment) due to excessive gas (commonly known as a fart or flatulence) in the digestive tract

Also chinook lake in the pass is full of burnt stumps, and a great little fishery, stocked from the fish hatchery right there....

Walleye101
11-02-2012, 06:50 PM
That is true about charcoal. Anybody have a brita filter at home? Maybe the government should ignite huge fires on the ice of algae prone lakes to clean them up?

Freedom55
11-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Charcoal contains carbon, its what i put in my fluval canister filters for my fishtanks, to help clarify the water,

Charcoal may be activated to increase its effectiveness as a filter. Activated charcoal readily adsorbs a wide range of organic compounds dissolved or suspended in gases and liquids. In certain industrial processes, such as the purification of sucrose from cane sugar, impurities cause an undesirable color, which can be removed with activated charcoal. It is also used to absorb odors and toxins in gases, such as air. Charcoal filters are also used in some types of gas masks. The medical use of activated charcoal is mainly the adsorption of poisons, especially in the case of suicide attempts in which the patient has ingested a large amount of a drug.[13] Activated charcoal is available without a prescription, so it is used for a variety of health-related applications. For example, it is often used to reduce discomfort (and embarrassment) due to excessive gas (commonly known as a fart or flatulence) in the digestive tract

Also chinook lake in the pass is full of burnt stumps, and a great little fishery, stocked from the fish hatchery right there....

You speak of activated charcoal. This product is created at HIGH heat in a airless environment and is in no way related, other than color, to half burned logs in a cooking fire.

When your fish tank filters require cleaning, do you build a fire in your bbq pit then use that black residue to aid in purifying the water? How about when your belly aches? Do you scrape the soot from your fireplace and ingest that?
Or do you go to the store and spend way too much money on a product that you could get free from your neighbors?

Walleye101-If your Brita filter contained the black stuff you plan to bring home in a box from your bonfire on the pond, do you suppose the water will be clear in the glass?

Both you guys are guessing. And the posters that think that because you have never been fined for building a fire with wood found on the shore or mill ends saved from a dumpster that it is legal. It may mean you haven't been caught.

Ask the Bradley people why their wood chip pucks don't go into their smokers until they are fully ignited. Or why the puck is removed before it is totally extinguished. Do some research. Don't just spout off with your nonsense with paragraphs beginning with "I do it so, it must be legal".

Free

Wild&Free
11-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Falls under the Water Act [Activities]. I tried to track it down on-line from the Environment & SRD but the Queen's Printer wants a fee to purchase the complete Act as written. So I contacted the Province by an on-line query to speak to just the pertinent portion. A follow-up email assured me that I will get the information in 2 or 3 working days.

Because I am not spending any cash to prove the veracity of my statement (feel free to do it yourself), you will have to wait until they respond. Until then, if you want to build a fire on the ice, go ahead.

Free

The acts are viewable online through a PDF link on the queens printer website. No need to purchase a paper copy to look up the information you're quoting and being asked to reference.

To my understanding, the act of having an open fire on a lake is not illegal, but if you leave anything behind on the ice it is littering. It's not like cut up logs and mill ends find there way onto a lake without human invovlement. I could be wrong as I do not have to the time nor patience to read through the many thousand of pages of legislation we have that is written if a very confusing format.

As for the charcoal from burn wood being harmful, I can't say much about that, it is different then activated charcoal, and contains residue of pitch and sap so it is not simply pure carbon.

And to the guy who hit a burnt log in chop while cruising at 80km/hr, driving on water is like driving on land, drive to the conditions.

diamonddave
11-03-2012, 11:16 AM
You speak of activated charcoal. This product is created at HIGH heat in a airless environment and is in no way related, other than color, to half burned logs in a cooking fire.

When your fish tank filters require cleaning, do you build a fire in your bbq pit then use that black residue to aid in purifying the water? How about when your belly aches? Do you scrape the soot from your fireplace and ingest that?
Or do you go to the store and spend way too much money on a product that you could get free from your neighbors?

Walleye101-If your Brita filter contained the black stuff you plan to bring home in a box from your bonfire on the pond, do you suppose the water will be clear in the glass?

Both you guys are guessing. And the posters that think that because you have never been fined for building a fire with wood found on the shore or mill ends saved from a dumpster that it is legal. It may mean you haven't been caught.

Ask the Bradley people why their wood chip pucks don't go into their smokers until they are fully ignited. Or why the puck is removed before it is totally extinguished. Do some research. Don't just spout off with your nonsense with paragraphs beginning with "I do it so, it must be legal".
Free

And the same goes for the other hand, dont spout off that "I don't do it so it must be Illegal".....

curtis_rak
11-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Ever since I can remember going ice fishing with my family as a little kid, we often had fires on the ice. To stay warm, roast a hot dog, etc....

As any good campfire does, it brings people together to socialize, keeps people warm, and just makes for an enjoyable experience on what otherwise might be a dreary day of just sitting on the ice or in a boring tent. I, for one, will continue to have a fire on the ice once and a while until I can no longer go ice fishing, and one day my kids will probably do the same.

A lot of guys on this forum like to overthink things.... The bottom line is dont make a mess and dont litter. Otherwise enjoy a nice warm bonfire on the lake and RELAX.

And if you think that bonfires on the ice are ruining our lakes in Alberta give your head a shake...

Gust
11-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Actually its all enviromentaly friendly wood and ashes

actually it's not.

On the coast - at least - they ask for fires to be well above the tide line as the remnants of a fire disrupt the lives of critter that live in the sand and between the rocks. I could go google it but i'm not a librarian so you can instead.

Bigdad013
11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Having a fire above tide line would make sense, especially if it came in while enjoying the fire

dragon
11-05-2012, 11:19 AM
actually it's not.

On the coast - at least - they ask for fires to be well above the tide line as the remnants of a fire disrupt the lives of critter that live in the sand and between the rocks. I could go google it but i'm not a librarian so you can instead.

I disagree Gust.

Simplfy the situation. Man needs heat for warmth and to cook food.

Existing scenario: Man burns wood to get heat and cook hotdogs.

Alternative 1: Man burns hydrocarbons in heater with non refilllable propane cyclinders. Man cooks with hydrocarbons on stove made through human process and will eventually decay in landfill.

Alternative 2: Man gets in automobile periodically and idols the motor for warmth. Uses hydrocarbons to cook food.

Obviously there are different tweaks on all scenarios but wood and ashes IMO is enviromentally friendly compared to the likely alternative.

Freedom55
11-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I received a reply from SRD and am forced to admit that I WAS WRONG.

"The government of Alberta does not regulate campfires on vacant public lands near water bodies as long as materials or accelerants being burned are not prohibited and there are no fire bans in place."

There may be some local restrictions or in areas adjacent to recreational lands, and campers are asked to pick up the debris before leaving the area.

Free

bubba 96
11-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Freedom55

Pretty sure I know what I speak of, I've had co,s come and warm up by fires we've had.....and also all my wood is butt ends of new untreated 4x4post we use for dunnage at work....thanks for 1/2 cent tho.

MoFugger21
11-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I received a reply from SRD and am forced to admit that I WAS WRONG.

"The government of Alberta does not regulate campfires on vacant public lands near water bodies as long as materials or accelerants being burned are not prohibited and there are no fire bans in place."

There may be some local restrictions or in areas adjacent to recreational lands, and campers are asked to pick up the debris before leaving the area.

Free

Thanks for the update Free. Did they mention if leaving the remnants of the fire behind (charred logs, etc) is considered littering (or some other type of offense)?