PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Lake?

littlered
05-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Want to head up this year and check this lake out. Is there a time of year that is better than an other. Will probably try trolling smaller raps and flies.

Sbrooks
05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
heard springtime is good, fall too

fishman
05-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Can't remember but use to open around july 1st and the rainbows will be in home bay after spawning in the river...alot easier to find them then as they are stacked in home bay........the brookies will be every where.....use to fish it every year havn't fished for about 8 years.......just a long trip and u have to buy a park license to so i stopped going as i found better places closer to home........but the scenery is great and most bows caught are maybe up to 24 inchs.........what i have seen and the brookied in the 18 inch range but u will cat5ch alot smaller ones to........somebody else will add to this that has fished it in the past few years

oldredneck
05-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Once the ice is off, Home Bay is full of brookies and rainbows. As the summer progresses they move throughout the lake. The Narrows just before Fisherman's campground is a great spot during mid-summer. But I've never had a problem catching really nice fish anywhere in the lake. My only recommendation is that you stick with the colour orange. Orange raps work really well.

littlered
05-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I see in the parks regs that it opens this weekend. I won't be able to make it , but does anyone know if the ice is off yet?

Wazzy
05-20-2008, 06:22 PM
I just got back from Jasper and Maligne Lake is still solid ice. I fish Maligne every year a couple times and find the fishing is generally good in early June. This gives the lake a chance to turnover and most of the fish are still concentrated in Home Bay. Later on in the year the fish tend to spread out and head farther down the lake making for a long boat ride to find the fish. Last year we did well fishing what the locals call "Rainbow alley" in home bay. Good mix of both rainbows and brookies on large streamers on a full sinking line. Lotsa fun!