PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake

Walleyemagnet
10-31-2012, 08:12 PM
I talked to F+W in Athabasca today and they said that although the COs hadn't been up there in a few days, they figure its still accessible by boat. I'm planning to go Sunday. I'll post pictures of my results. If anyone's been there lately could you please let me know what the conditions are like? The latest I've gone there was Nov.11/10. I fished there quite a bit this season and the walleyes are making a big comeback, some big girls in there again. Cheers!

Warmbreeze
11-01-2012, 12:48 AM
In front of my place there is about 75-100 feet of ice. It is on an area that collects it very early as it is very shallow. I will be driving to the boat launches tomorrow to see if I can launch. -10 degrees Celsius here today. I really hope to get out once more. Ill let you know! Sunday is supposed to be warm so it might be nice.

Edit:
Just a heads up. It can be very windy/wavy this time of year and can come out of nowhere very fast. Be careful! Also, lots of East winds lately so it looks decent or just choppy until you start travelling across and you find big cold waves.

Walleyemagnet
11-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks bud! Sunday is calling for a west wind-5k. Should be alright. Thanks for the warning but I've fished that lake lots and I know how bad it can get in a big hurry. Sorry to hear about the local guy who got into trouble there a week or so ago.

Warmbreeze
11-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I checked both launches. The North launch looks usable but there is about ~200 feet of floating ice cubes about 4-8 inches in diameter floating near shore. Beyone that looks clear. Launch was slippery, might get stuck after your boat trailer drops the little bit from ice to lake.

Provincial park looked much better; still a little drop of about 6 inches from ice to water but no floating ice at all.

I guess it would depend on what kind of boat your using. If you are super diehard you could definately make it out, though I would not stray far from launch site. Was calm and looked ok, but Id hate to be out there if any waves came up at all.

Ill keep checking as it warms, I really want one more go.