PDA

View Full Version : First ice

YeeHaw
11-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Was able to get out on the ice the last couple days, brookies are active, but biteing lite. Had a couple hit hard enough to snap me off instantly, guessing it was the bows.

Tungsten
11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Was able to get out on the ice the last couple days, brookies are active, but biteing lite. Had a couple hit hard enough to snap me off instantly, guessing it was the bows.

Nice looking fish!

How much ice out there? Guessing this was before the dump of snow.

11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
nice fish , where are these from? i want to try to get out somewhere this weekend

Geezle
11-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Nice work man! :cool:

YeeHaw
11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
There was about 2.5 -3",of clear ice, and a couple inches of snow.BUT.. that was also in a small sheltered bay, and about 2-3 feet of water under the ice. Be careful if you head out. I had a rope tied to shore the first time I walked out.

Alberta Bigbore
11-01-2012, 10:02 PM
nice job on those fish.

RavYak
11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Anyone planning on heading out there either Sunday or Monday?

Would love to get out there before I head away on my trip and that is likely my last chance to do so.

Rikkles Fisher
11-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Where is this?

Mutter87
11-02-2012, 02:13 AM
I am glad guys are getting out there, but is the recomended "safe ice" not a minimum of 6" ? If you were to fall through, what are the chances of getting the government to bill you 100% for the rescue cost? Not trying to sound like a dick nor am I telling you not to go out. I just think if you were to fall through it would only be fair for you to have to pay 100% of the costs. I wish you all the best, nice fish.

ice
11-02-2012, 05:25 AM
:fighting0030:I am glad guys are getting out there, but is the recomended "safe ice" not a minimum of 6" ? If you were to fall through, what are the chances of getting the government to bill you 100% for the rescue cost? Not trying to sound like a dick nor am I telling you not to go out. I just think if you were to fall through it would only be fair for you to have to pay 100% of the costs. I wish you all the best, nice fish.

4'' of clear ice

Kim473
11-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Nice fish!

I will wait for another week to 3 before I venture out.

Lefty-Canuck
11-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Now that the ice is snow covered.....I think that makes it a bit more dangerous than if it was clear on top.....be careful folks, don't push it......lots of time for hardwater season left!

LC

BIZJAY
11-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Mutter, it all depends on the type of ice, and how it formed, good solid clear ice ive been safely out on 2 inxhes, ive also been on 6 inches of white snow ice that wouldnt hold up. Always use caution new ice take a friend and rope never go alone, take a spud and check the ice as you go, be safe out there

Rikkles Fisher
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Just sit in a canoe or old tinner out there on the ice while ice fishing, problem solved!

Guitarplayingfish
11-02-2012, 12:26 PM
So jealous!!

I can't wait to head out.. was hoping to go scout some locations this weekend but heading out camping/hunting instead.

Hope the weather stays below 0 so I can get on the ice soon!

Stupid Deep
11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Excited to try ice fishing this year just waiting for the ice :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
man those are the smallest fish Ive seen come out of Frank lake in a long time! people are keeping all the big ones! :argue2:

YeeHaw
11-02-2012, 10:13 PM
man those are the smallest fish Ive seen come out of Frank lake in a long time! people are keeping all the big ones! :argue2:

There from the Edmonton area. Not big, but a good enough reason to get out of the damn city.:)

Rikkles Fisher
11-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Oo chickakoo that's where I was thinking of trying because I know it's shallow near the Boy Scout camp.

YeeHaw
11-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I wouldnt walk out on the main lake yet if I was you. But its only my opinion.

Geezle
11-03-2012, 08:39 AM

I was out on Frank again yesterday...the snow really borked the ice...lots of flooding, and you can really tell where the springs are. Ice is a little thicker than last weekend, but it's far from what most would consider 'safe'.

;)

AppleJax
11-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I am glad guys are getting out there, but is the recomended "safe ice" not a minimum of 6" ? If you were to fall through, what are the chances of getting the government to bill you 100% for the rescue cost? Not trying to sound like a dick nor am I telling you not to go out. I just think if you were to fall through it would only be fair for you to have to pay 100% of the costs. I wish you all the best, nice fish.

Funny you make lots of other posts on other threads about how you dont care about what the government thinks, and now your so worried about them losing a bit of money on a rescue. Pick a side and stay on it. This forum is called Outdoorsman for a reason, not city kid forum. People who fall through the ice do so because they dont know any better, and dont know the risks. I went out on the ice yesterday, and i knew the risks. If i fell through in 3 feet of water I would have a cold dash to the truck and i knew that. Stay inside, its warm.

hard_azz
11-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Funny you make lots of other posts on other threads about how you dont care about what the government thinks, and now your so worried about them losing a bit of money on a rescue. Pick a side and stay on it. This forum is called Outdoorsman for a reason, not city kid forum. People who fall through the ice do so because they dont know any better, and dont know the risks. I went out on the ice yesterday, and i knew the risks. If i fell through in 3 feet of water I would have a cold dash to the truck and i knew that. Stay inside, its warm.

x2