PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for some info on fishing near Calgary

NS Dave
05-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Hello all,

Just moved here (Calgary) from Nova Scotia to work for a couple months. Already missing my fishing time back home:( Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to go about possibly getting a license here as I am not a Alberta resident, probably just a short term license. And then also wonder (and I KNOW nobody is very willing to do so) if anyone could give me a push in the right direction about where to fish. I don't want your "secret fishing spots" just an idea of where there would be fish to catch and where it is legal/not legal. Preferably real close to Calgary as I am not familiar with the area at all. And if puts you at ease for telling me where to go, I am usually STRICTLY a catch and release fisherman, MUCH prefer to let em go and try catch em another day.

Scott N
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Getting a license is easy... just go to Canadian Tire (customer service desk), Wholesale Sports, etc., and buy one. I think non-resident Canadians pay the same as Alberta residents, so the cost will be just a tad over $25, plus you'll need to buy a WIN Card, which I can't recall what the cost is. You will receive a copy of the regulations when you buy your license, but they are also available on AO here:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

As for fishing, you can start right in the city on the Bow River, which is one of the best trout fishing rivers in Canada, if not the world. Anywhere from Fish Creek Park downstream to Caresland is good, fishy water. Do you fly fish? People come from all over the world to fly fish the Bow. Spin fishing is effective too.

I would suggest picking up a copy of a magazine called "Barry Mitchell's Guide to Fishing Alberta." It has directions to most fishable waters in Alberta and also information on what you can catch. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, try going SW of Calgary to Beauvais Lake or Beaver Mines Lake. Both are stocked with trout, and the scenery in the mountains is an added bonus.

NS Dave
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot, I do fly fish. And I certainly have heard of the Bow river. I don't know if I will get a chance to fly fish it though, i have no rod here so chances are I will be getting a cheapo Can Tire special for my short time here. I already have a fly rod at home so I don't need to buy another out here. So basically anywhere along Bow river might work? right from shore?

TreeGuy
05-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey Dave. I'm an Antigonish boy. I hardly use my fly rod at all (good one) so if ya want to borrow it while you're in town it's all your's. Let me know.

I never could get a grasp on the Bow with a fly. It's big and a bit intimidating. Runoff is just starting and will be happening for a while as there is a pretty massive snow pack in the mountains this season.

If you want to try using a spincast setup, pink/orange BuzzBombs work really well.

If you go a bit west toward Bragg Creek, where the #22 crosses the Elbow has potential if you head upstream.

Also, west, is the Jumpingpound Creek which holds fish too.

Anyway, you'll get far better advice from others than from me, but good luck. The rod's all your's if you want to borrow it for the summer. Welcome to Calgary!:wave:

Tree

NS Dave
05-17-2008, 12:15 PM
WOW, thanks TreeGuy, I'll keep that in mind.

TreeGuy
05-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Dave, hit me with a PM once you're ready. I might even be able to show you a spot or two.

Hey, where the hell is Lethal? Mav should be all over this one. Perhaps he's been station overseas on a top secret mission?:D

Tree

varden33
05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I've had luck at bowness park or the other side up by the dam. Good Luck

elnino54
05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Dave.........How long are you out here ?? I might be able to help you out a bit.

NS Dave
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Goin back to NS 26 June. Wish I could stay longer but I have other commitments.

NS Dave
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Dave, hit me with a PM once you're ready. I might even be able to show you a spot or two.

Hey, where the hell is Lethal? Mav should be all over this one. Perhaps he's been station overseas on a top secret mission?:D

Tree

Will do TreeGuy, once I'm settled and know my way around a bit.

Mish
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Pretty much anywhere on the Bow in Calgary, I've seen people fishing. I think the Elbow is closed for the most part right now though (someone correct me if I'm wrong?). I've had a lot of good luck at a few places just off of HWY66. Shoot me off a PM sometime and I'll send you maps to the places. Good luck, welcome to Calgary!

Scotian ZigZagZinck
08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Just writing the post because I'm from the East Coast but I miss the fishing so I'm starting to search spots out here.( Calgary ) When I noticed a conversation between "NS Dave" & " Tree ". They don't already know each other but because of our Good Natured personalities they instantly became friendly enough that Tree was willing to lend out his fly rod without actually knowing this Gentleman. It makes me so Proud of where my roots are( N.S ) and the people that come from there. We are very Proud people and we almost always treat others the way they treat us. I hope you found some wicked spots to fish and I'm gonna try the Fish Creek / Bow River area today and hopefully I'll catch a few. Either way fishing and running water always bring me home for a short visit. Take care fellas and happy Fishing... Peace.