PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Ice Report

ddddd05
11-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Went out to Wabamun today to check the ice. Moonlight Bay and Kapasawin Bay were frozen. West of Rich's Point the whole lake was wide open still. Ice was only an inch thick where it was frozen. It wasn't strong enough to support a man in hip waders.

I checked out Hasse and Jackfish after and they were frozen solid. Seemed strong enough to walk on but I didn't go out very far.

I'm hoping for Wabamun to freeze with some nice clear skating ice.

YeeHaw
11-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Did you notice is the launch in town is froze up yet? Was thinking of hitting it again tuesday or wednsday for another last boat trip.

Penner
11-04-2012, 03:29 PM
While out hunting noticed that animals are not even crossing small ponds yet close to Edmonton. Ponds have wet edges and such. One needs to be extremely careful and patient right now.

From what I’ve seen on the long term forecast it should be an early freeze this year. By months end I suspect there will be accessible hard water.

yeahright
11-04-2012, 10:59 PM
i went to wab on saturday, the in town dock... its ice but there is still open water waaaay out there...

alberta beach is frozen over. walked out 30feet and jumped around. minor noise

Star lake today is minorly frozen over, walked 5 feet jumped around and decided that was a bad idea! haha
also at Star there was a coyote walking aroung the middle of lake... :shark:

NEWB
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Good to know!

I'll guess this is the curtain call for the boat.

I'll do the preparation and put it into storage. I will have my ice fishing gear taking the place of where the boat was..

I think I've got a minor addiction to fishing. :)

ddddd05
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
If you launched in the west end of the lake you could still get out.

YeeHaw
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Hmmmm maby I winterized the boat last night for nothing. Ok maby for practice.:sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM

What about at the sailing club (Rich's Point)?

ddddd05
11-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes the boat launch next to the sailing club (Rich's point) is ice free

zepf
11-05-2012, 07:33 PM
The southside at the power plant was open at 5 pm on nov 5.Looks like the the gate is still open in front of the plant.Was good acess years ago.I ll keep you updated ....I travel that road 5 days a week.

vokes
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I went to check the ice yesterday, and saw a guy fishing about 400ft out from the dock in town.