PDA

View Full Version : 950 yard cow elk.

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Let me start by saying.
Lots of practice this summer made this possible.
Conditions were perfect. Zero wind.
Ranged it. Entered info into my calculator and made a perfect lung shot.
I'll post pics later if anyone is interested.

Horse96
11-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Nice! What caliber? What bullet? please do post pics

rogo
11-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Nice! What caliber? What bullet? please do post pics

( Pics Or It Didn't Happen )

Although i guess you can't show the shot distance. Either way- congrats, thats an amazing shot !

Enjoy the feast

tyv12
11-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Congrats, shots like that are impressive when a guy has put the effort into dialing a gun, any pics from where ya shot from what you could see?

pseelk
11-04-2012, 02:50 PM
It is amazing what can be done with the right equipment and time spent practicing.Good job.

6mmhunter
11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Great shooting!!! You've got me beat by 58 yrds!! lol

stickflicker
11-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Great shooting! I agree that a picture from where you took the shot would be interesting.:thinking-006:

baz
11-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Right On Chris,
If a shooter puts in the time and can do the shot with confidence, all the power to you.
Another Langdonite

Walleyes
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a heck of a shot,, good on yah..

Alberta Bigbore
11-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Gratz!

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Shot it with my Remington 700 SPS. 7mm Rem Mag with 168 grain Berger VLD's.

The first pic if from last weekend when there was snow. But the same spot.
The front of the first clearing is about 700 yards and were we first saw the Elk at first light yesterday. We waited a while to see if any Bulls would come out. There was only one that we could see but not 3 points. They were slowly moving left to right in the clearing. The back of the clearing to the right is 1000 yards. As they moved they kept getting farther away. I set up for a shot right away and finally decided to shoot before they got too far and out of the clearing. It instantly dropped.

Second pic is of the elk. The other elk in the pic was a friends and wasn't as far.

.300ultramag
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Gotta love shooting slippery bullets out of a remington, gotta love team big green, awesome shot and story

bisonhunter
11-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I wish I could do that.

That is one big pile of good eats in the picture.

Nice shootin' Tex.

marlin1
11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
wow , nice shot . I have the same rifle but not the skill for that yardage

pottymouth
11-04-2012, 05:36 PM
congrats, sounds like great day, out shooting.

huntinstuff
11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Excellent. Nice shooting!

AdamJ
11-04-2012, 05:40 PM

Yup, sounds like a great day out HUNTING. And good shooting too! Congrats.

urcayuse
11-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Nice shot!:shake2: Whats your MV ?

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 05:58 PM

I was waiting for a coment like that.
Call it what you want. We spent a lot of time looking for the Elk in that area. I just so happened to be prepared for that situation.
It was a perfect day for shooting an Elk.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.:cheers:

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Nice shot!:shake2: Whats your MV ?

I use 2933fps on my ballistic calculator to give me exact validated bullit drops.
Could have went hotter but that load was the most accurate.
17.5 feet of drop on the 950 yard shot.
21 moa or 84 clicks on the scope.

The Bit Runner.
11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Awesome shooting, Lots of nice eats there. Congrats. I have a 270wsm with a huskemaw 5x20x50 on it and just love it. I sure cant shoot like that yet but have no problems dumping dogs at 500 yards. They are a deadly set up once you practice lots with them.

spurly
11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Congrats, thats an incredible shot. just curious, as to what kind of bullet energy numbers, at that distance, obviously enough to kill the elk. what kind of reaction to hit? and any chance you found the bullet. I am just starting on a LR project in 6.5-284,I am still debating if I made the right cal. choice. 7MM
was the only other consideration.

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Congrats, thats an incredible shot. just curious, as to what kind of bullet energy numbers, at that distance, obviously enough to kill the elk. what kind of reaction to hit? and any chance you found the bullet. I am just starting on a LR project in 6.5-284,I am still debating if I made the right cal. choice. 7MM
was the only other consideration.

It was actually pretty neat to see the impact. With the 1.25 second time of bullit flight I found her in the scope again right away. I was able to see the Elk do a 180 then stumble to the ground. Then just legs waving in the air.

Muzzle velocity was 2933fps.
Retained velocity was 1786fps.
Muzzle energy was 3208ft/lb
Retained energy was 1190ft/lb

Found a few bullit fragments but that's it so far.
Berger bullit's are designed to penetrate a few inches then fragment and basically shred the insides.

spurly
11-04-2012, 07:58 PM
What brand of optics?

pottymouth
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Let me start by saying.
Lots of practice this summer made this possible.
Conditions were perfect. Zero wind.
Ranged it. Entered info into my calculator and made a perfect lung shot.
I'll post pics later if anyone is interested.

I was waiting for a coment like that.
Call it what you want. We spent a lot of time looking for the Elk in that area. I just so happened to be prepared for that situation.
It was a perfect day for shooting an Elk.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.:cheers:

seriously, you got offended at comment, congratulating you about your day and your shot? wow, someone needs a tampax changed!

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
What brand of optics?

4-16x50 Vortex Viper HS scope.
15-45x65 Vortex Viper spotting scope.
Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC Range finder.

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
seriously, you got offended at comment, congratulating you about your day and your shot? wow, someone needs a tampax changed!

Not really offended.
Was actually surprised that it didn't turn into an ethics thread though.

pottymouth
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Not really offended.
Was actually surprised that it didn't turn into an ethics thread though.

It wasn't an ethics shot! It was a congrats on your day. I think your were looking for something more, that wasn't there!

newdrenalin
11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Congrats on the shot and the elk.

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 08:22 PM
It wasn't an ethics shot! It was a congrats on your day. I think your were looking for something more, that wasn't there!

My apologies.

Thank you.

catnthehat
11-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Congratulations on putting the bullet where it counts!!
How long did you have to hunt the area before you found your elk?
Cat

Chris89lx
11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Congratulations on putting the bullet where it counts!!
How long did you have to hunt the area before you found your elk?
Cat
Did a bunch of day trips of pre season scouting/load development/trajectory validation in the area.
A few of us had trail cams out all year. Only one recent elk pic on oct 24th at 1am. Not far from where we found them on Saturday morning.

Had a couple friends out this past Thurs-Fri. The elk were chirping back at cow calls on Friday.
Five of us were out actively hunting Oct 25-26-27. I managed a nice 5x5 Whitetail on the 26th. (370 yard shot)
Then six of us out yesterday.

Hagalaz
11-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Congrats. :)

TreeGuy
11-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Chris, congrats on an amazing shot. Should be some good eats.

With that being said.....

This long range stuff really makes me cringe. Good on ya for obviously putting the time/money/effort into it, but there's just so many yahoos out there these days that see perfect examples such as yours and think they can repeat it without the work.

Frankly, it bothers me.

Sorry for the hijack, 'grats on the elk and flame suit on. :scared0018:

Rhinoridr
11-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Congrats on the elk ,like others have said it is nice to see the results from putting in the time in load developement ,testing and practising in the field then to have it all come together.

catnthehat
11-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Did a bunch of day trips of pre season scouting/load development/trajectory validation in the area.
A few of us had trail cams out all year. Only one recent elk pic on oct 24th at 1am. Not far from where we found them on Saturday morning.

Had a couple friends out this past Thurs-Fri. The elk were chirping back at cow calls on Friday.
Five of us were out actively hunting Oct 25-26-27. I managed a nice 5x5 Whitetail on the 26th. (370 yard shot)
Then six of us out yesterday.
WOW! Lots of hours logged on that one. for sure!:)
Cat

Thinlizzy
11-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Good job bud! :)

bluetick
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Thats one great shot ! I do have a question .How many of those shots have you made and how many have failed ?
I do have a comment regarding hunting gear ! When did hunting with a calculator in your pocket become a part of your hunting apparel?
Meaning how long have you been practicing shots at 1 km ranges and where do you practice ?

Chris89lx
11-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Thats one great shot ! I do have a question .How many of those shots have you made and how many have failed ?
I do have a comment regarding hunting gear ! When did hunting with a calculator in your pocket become a part of your hunting apparel?
Meaning how long have you been practicing shots at 1 km ranges and where do you practice ?
That was my one and only attempt at live game at that range.
Wouldn't have dreamed of attempting that shot with any sort of wind.
I use the Strelock Balistic calculator on my phone. Messed around with the effect of a lot of different shot angels and conditions all year.
500 yard shots with under two inch groups on paper and gongs were common for me all year.
I also set up balloons at various yardages and shoot off my bipod and backpack.
Wind is and always will be the biggest factor.
I'll be the first to tell you I need more practice in that area.
I have a spot on some crown land where we hunt that I have been shooting out to 900 yards.
Took a lot of tweeking with muzzle velocity on the ballistic calculator to get confident with matching bullit drops at that distance.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
I'm willing to share what I have learned.

I guess I made it sound pretty easy in my first post.
The fact is, for me, it was easy on Saturday.
All of the hard stuff was done already.
If the Elk would not have been moving away from me into an area were retrieval would have been next to impossible.
I would have preferred to get closer.

Marko
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Congrats. That's quite the shot! Way to go!

bonecollector10
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Thats awesome congrats on making a long shot like that gets me pumped up.
I hunted elk for 25 days this year before getting a good clean shot, nice when all that time, effort and money comes together eh.

Keep shooting!

Okotokian
11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Congrats to OP for an amazing shot.

Reading this thread, I'm amazed another way as well.... ;) Congratulations to all posters. LOL

newdrenalin
11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Congrats to OP for an amazing shot.

Reading this thread, I'm amazed another way as well.... ;) Congratulations to all posters. LOL

I totally agree with this statement. Nice to see for a change.

Rocky7
11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
It's not surprising at all, really - not if you read the entire story.

The OP put in his time, bought quality, busted a lot of primers, had perfect conditions, knew his ability and had no alternative to get closer. Nobody's going to have a problem with that.

- tip of the hat -

TheLegend
11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
awesome story

perchie15
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
VERY NICE!! damn! i cant even try for longer then 100yards lol, congrats!!!

Chris89lx
11-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you everyone.
Glad I could share my story.

slopeshunter
11-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Congratulations! curious if you did any modifications to the rifle? i.e. is that the stock that came with it, did you have it bedded...

tks.

Country_boy17
11-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Siiick shot. Congrats on the hunt, and enjoy that meat!

CNP
11-07-2012, 12:20 PM
That was my one and only attempt at live game at that range.
Wouldn't have dreamed of attempting that shot with any sort of wind.
I use the Strelock Balistic calculator on my phone. Messed around with the effect of a lot of different shot angels and conditions all year.
500 yard shots with under two inch groups on paper and gongs were common for me all year.
I also set up balloons at various yardages and shoot off my bipod and backpack.
Wind is and always will be the biggest factor.
I'll be the first to tell you I need more practice in that area.
I have a spot on some crown land where we hunt that I have been shooting out to 900 yards.
Took a lot of tweeking with muzzle velocity on the ballistic calculator to get confident with matching bullit drops at that distance.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
I'm willing to share what I have learned.

I guess I made it sound pretty easy in my first post.
The fact is, for me, it was easy on Saturday.
All of the hard stuff was done already.
If the Elk would not have been moving away from me into an area were retrieval would have been next to impossible.
I would have preferred to get closer.

I downloaded that app long ago.........gets a big like and I promote it to anyone who will listen.

Chris89lx
11-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Congratulations! curious if you did any modifications to the rifle? i.e. is that the stock that came with it, did you have it bedded...

tks.

The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS DM.
I had the factory synthetic stock replaced with a Bell and Carlson Medalist varmit/tactical (adjustable stock) The factory action and barrol are bedded to the stock.
The 4-16x50 Viper HS scope is mounted with Night Force (medium hight) rings and an ATRS 20 moa Picatinny rail.
Had a Timney trigger installed at 2.5lbs to finish it off.
The gun is fairly heavy. With the Haris bipod in weighs almost 13lbs.
But the reduction in felt recoil allows me to spot my own shots.

slopeshunter
11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS DM.
I had the factory synthetic stock replaced with a Bell and Carlson Medalist varmit/tactical (adjustable stock) The factory action and barrol are bedded to the stock.
The 4-16x50 Viper HS scope is mounted with Night Force (medium hight) rings and an ATRS 20 moa Picatinny rail.
Had a Timney trigger installed at 2.5lbs to finish it off.
The gun is fairly heavy. With the Haris bipod in weighs almost 13lbs.
But the reduction in felt recoil allows me to spot my own shots.
Thanks for the info. Did ATRS do the trigger, bedding work for you?

Chris89lx
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Did ATRS do the trigger, bedding work for you?

Yes they did the bedding and trigger.
Trigger install and setup was free because I purchased it there.