PDA

View Full Version : Newbie gun recommendation.

mooseknuckle
11-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Hello folks,

Been hanging around AO for quite some time, however never spent much time in the hunting forum. Figured my questions could best be answered here!

Had the pleasure of shooting target today with my dad and good friend! What a blast!! What was I waiting for? Anyways eventually I'm sure ill get into hunting but for now need to get all the legal mumbo jumbo started. PAL, hunters Ed. Etc. in the mean time I would like to at least start looking at a rifle.

My dad brought a 70 year old iron sight semi auto .22 that holds 15 rounds. This thing was very fun to shoot.

I'm looking for a .22 cal semi auto. Something reliable and fun. Holds a decent amount of ammo would be good! Not sure? How many is legal 15-35 mag? Anyways I'm somewhat flexible money wise I always believe you get what you pay for. That being said I would like to keep some cash in my jeans for a hunting rifle when that time comes.

Should add: not planning on a scope, but the option to add one would be cool. And I but feminine as in I love accessories and stuff!

Appreciate the input.

jeff5316
11-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I would recommend a Ruger 10/22. They one of the best I have owned and shot so far. Plus there are lots of accessories available for these guns. They come stock with a 10 round magazine but I upgraded to a 25 round clip for at the range

Drewski Canuck
11-04-2012, 04:21 PM
My vote also is for the 10 / 22. JUST BE CAREFUL. It is easy to forget that it has reloaded after a shot, and taking the magazine out does not take the bullet out of the chamber. All the same, alot of fun and ammo is pretty cheap.

Drewski

bisonhunter
11-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Another vote for the Ruger 10/22 here. Funnest gun in the cabinet I swear. I bought a 50 shot magazine for it but it doesn't work hardly at all. I stick with the ten shot factory magazines now.

You may also want to get one of these if you shoot a lot:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540353/butler-creek-magazine-loader-for-10-22-hot-lips-and-steel-lips-magazines

mooseknuckle
11-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Guess I was somewhat on the right track. Looking online spotted a Ruger 10/22 sport deluxe. Some really good reviews on it! And price wise is very affordable.

mooseknuckle
11-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Another vote for the Ruger 10/22 here. Funnest gun in the cabinet I swear. I bought a 50 shot magazine for it but it doesn't work hardly at all. I stick with the ten shot factory magazines now.

You may also want to get one of these if you shoot a lot:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/540353/butler-creek-magazine-loader-for-10-22-hot-lips-and-steel-lips-magazines

Cool! I imagine that saves a guy some time!

Is it fairly common for gentleman such as yourself to keep several magazines? Just fill a bunch up the night before you go? Seems convienent!

I know the ammo my dad purchased today for his .22 was like $3.50 for a box of 50. That was at Canadian tire. I imagine a guy could buy a case of 1000 for cheap.

bsmitty27
11-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I think it's always better to start shooting a bolt. Makes you reset and think about every shot.
I like the savage mark II for the money, It's a good trainer.
Brad

fish gunner
11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I think it's always better to start shooting a bolt. Makes you reset and think about every shot.
Brad

gets my vote ^^^^ cheap, cheerful, fun. mine likes dyna point hp ammo from winchester. bolt guns for beginners. k.I.s.s. see the prepper show for some 10/22 hi jinx, half a thumbs up lol.

mooseknuckle
11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Brad

Good point. Maybe that's the way to go.

M4verick
11-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Get a Bolt action .22. They are safe, reliable and a good learner rifle that can teach you alot about how a rifle works. Make sure when you take your PAL and hunter ed, ask lots of questions! I find if you have a dumb question and ask it in that environment, your less likely to get a chuckle and feel foolish :sign0161: than if you are standing at the counter at the gun store where the sales staff are usually the "know-it-all" types...Good Luck!

mooseknuckle
11-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Appreciate that! I have several friends on/off this forum as well that have been pretty good to me when it comes to "dumb" questions. Most them say when it comes to firearm safety there's no such thing as a stupid question.

A guy has to learn right?

Appreciate all the input guys!

AppleJax
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Ruger 10/22 all the way. Save the bolt action for your first centerfire rifle. Should have a confirmed date on a PAL course at my work soon if your interested. If not I know a guy on the west end that teaches it.

Mountain Guy
11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I'd go with the semi.
You'll have the bolt for a week and wish you had bought a semi :)
Same rules apply for both.. yes you need to be aware that the semi auto feeds the chamber, but you need to realize that you ALWAYS assume that the gun is loaded and treat it as such.

AppleJax
11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd go with the semi.
You'll have the bolt for a week and wish you had bought a semi :)
Same rules apply for both.. yes you need to be aware that the semi auto feeds the chamber, but you need to realize that you ALWAYS assume that the gun is loaded and treat it as such.

X2, its like buying a 250 dirtbike, and a week later you outgrow it and kick yourelf for not buying the 450.

bulletman
11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Forget about the 10/22 and get a CZ repeater. It teaches you to make every shot count!

t-hunt-3
11-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Semis are as safe as bolts, it's the operator behind the rifle that need to make sure your safe, 10/22 for semi and a nice cz for bolt action, browning bl-22 for lever, all very nice rifles but the 10/22 has my vote hands down!

mooseknuckle
11-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah and I can understand the bolt theory. However I think will go the semi auto root. Of course a guy may need 2 so.....

Great cuz I wasn't spending enough cash on fishing gear. Lol.

raab
11-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Appreciate that! I have several friends on/off this forum as well that have been pretty good to me when it comes to "dumb" questions. Most them say when it comes to firearm safety there's no such thing as a stupid question.

A guy has to learn right?

Appreciate all the input guys!

Just so you know if any of your friends hunt and have a gun you could borrow you could go with them this year if you get your wildlife course done and get the licenses. Its 70 bucks to do it online and doesn't take to long. Just make sure they're within arms length of you whenever you have the gun. I highly recommend going out with other guys for the first year or two until your comfortable field dressing the deer.

Also I have an old bolt action .22 so Im not much help in that department, but will say my bolt action is money on upland birds. Not sure how accurate those semi autos are if your considering hunting birds.

bsmitty27
11-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a ruger 10/22 and savage mkII you could come try both out and see what you think. I have 50,100,150 rim fire range set up. I'll try to sell you on a savage, but they are both nice rimfires. It's just personal preference. I assume you live in Edmonton area. I'm 35 min east. Pm me if interested
Brad