PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck moose hunt

hb hunter
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
So just got back from an early November moose hunt that did not go great. On our last am hunt we found a nice little bull moose about a 100 yards down a cut line. The moose could not smell us and we had all the time in the world to make a great shot. I loaded a 185gr hornady superformance GMX in my 338 win mag, found a solid tree to rest on, ranged him at 91 yards and let him have it in the boiler room. The moose dropped in his tracks. We watched him on the ground for 4-5 minutes with no movement. All of a sudden he mooved, I gave him another insurance shot in the high back/neck area and we thought it was all over. After another 2-3 minutes the moose stood up, a gave him another and he piled up about 20 yards in the tree line. We decided to give him some time so we wouldnt jump him but we were 100% it was all over. We waited 1 hour before we decided to walk up and see him. We walked up and he was gone, we sat down for another hour thinking he could not go far. We were wrong, we tracked the moose for the next 2 hours! The blood trail ran out, and my moose was gone. Now if you say you are a moose hunter and retreaved all the moose you ever shot at your extremly lucky. After backing out for a late lunch we went back in the bush, another 2 hours of searching and no moose. I pack an apropreat rifle and gear for moose and have successfully harvested moose in the past. We are going back to the area to look for any sign of birds in the trees in an atempt to find and save what we can. I decided to range 100 yards and take a few shots with my 338, 1.5 inch group, cant be the gun. I did not have moose feaver, i was calm. Just one of thows things.

redranger15
11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
No way you should have waited an hour after putting him down again. I would have been running to it to make sure it didn't get up again. Live a learn, next time you drop one get to it.

flyguyd
11-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Moose can turn in to iron after the first shot. The only way to keep them down then is a spine or head shot. Sorry about your luck , i have had the same thing happen to me ,i know how you feel

Rackmastr
11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Guessing your 'insurance' shot was somewhere in the hump area, etc and probably had little effect. Either way a moose with 3 bullets in him shouldnt go far most times. Did you see impact of where you hit him on the first and 3rd shot?

Bad deal either way....a moose at 91 yards and a 338WM should spell dead moose.

elkhunter11
11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I would have been suspicious when the moose dropped in his tracks at the first shot. Unless you break both front shoulders, usually only a shot on or near the spine drops them instantly. Since he was in sight,I would have walked up to the moose after he hit ground, with my gun ready, in case he was only stunned. Unfortunately, unless you recover the moose, you can't be sure exactly where the bullets hit, or how the bullet performed.

Lefty-Canuck
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
With moose I keep shooting till they go down....then you walk up to them with one in the pipe and the safety on...if they get up shoot till they are down again. It isn't bow hunting, if he was that close to you there is no way I would have given him a minute let alone an hour. Live and learn.

LC

Walleyes
11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Yup it can happen,, but the fact is I doubt you hit him in the boiler room,, if you did it would be dead, they can't live with a hole in their lungs, not one from a .338 at 90yrds.. I would geuss a high front shoulder shot by the sounds of it. Thats why he hit the dirt,, took all the energy in solid structure and it floored him, twice. Chances are he may live or get sick and be wolf bait. But it happens, it sucks but it happens, chin up lesson learned.

Marko
11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
That's terrible luck! Unfortunately it's a part of the game. Lessons learned

Mike_W
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I dont know what happend but sounds like you hit the antlers with the first shot .....if a moose drops and doesnt move for 5 min he was knocked out if you hit the shoulders hard enough for him to drop they usually cant get back up.

I would guess you either infact did have moose or magnum fever.
I guess this proves no matter how big of gun or bullet you still gotta put the bullet in the right place!!

hb hunter
11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Guessing your 'insurance' shot was somewhere in the hump area, etc and probably had little effect. Either way a moose with 3 bullets in him shouldnt go far most times. Did you see impact of where you hit him on the first and 3rd shot?

Bad deal either way....a moose at 91 yards and a 338WM should spell dead moose.

My first shot was clear in the ribs behind the shoulder, my hunting partner watched the hit and after looking at a lot of dark red blood it may have been a liver shot. On the third shot i had the cross hairs on the shoulder and the impact looked centre but did not take out the front shoulder blade. This is the first year for the new gmx bullets and they looked like they were going thru the moose with the blood splatter.

hb hunter
11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I dont know what happend but sounds like you hit the antlers with the first shot .....if a moose drops and doesnt move for 5 min he was knocked out if you hit the shoulders hard enough for him to drop they usually cant get back up.

I would guess you either infact did have moose or magnum fever.
I guess this proves no matter how big of gun or bullet you still gotta put the bullet in the right place!!

Funny, the moose only had one antler, the other was just a deformed nub.

Rackmastr
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
My first shot was clear in the ribs behind the shoulder, my hunting partner watched the hit and after looking at a lot of dark red blood it may have been a liver shot. On the third shot i had the cross hairs on the shoulder and the impact looked centre but did not take out the front shoulder blade. This is the first year for the new gmx bullets and they looked like they were going thru the moose with the blood splatter.

Sounds like there is a dead moose out there for sure if thats the case. So tough to say without being there.

In the end....all a guy can do is get in there and hike grids looking for him when you run out of blood. Good luck when ya get back out there!

Walleyes
11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Yah one just never knows for sure hb,, it sucks and makes a guy feel even worse I know,, been there man.. I don't know what to say other than if you can maybe go back out there and have a look around,, may not be to late..

Tikka300
11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I shot a cow elk this weekend that was like that, tough as nails. Gutting her I found my first shot was a touch far back / low and hit liver and then lungs. Second shot was lungs, third shot was through the front shoulder and heart. She laid down after that one and tried to get up, then it was the finishing shot. I think it may have gone differently if the first shot was a better shot. All the moose I have shot went down after one shot in the boiler room, like didn't go 20 yards.

Maybe you hit him a little high in the lungs or between the top of the lungs and the spine? I have seen moose hit high in the lungs go a little ways and require a follow up shot. Sorry to hear he got away.

KegRiver
11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I would have been suspicious when the moose dropped in his tracks at the first shot.

I would be too. I've seen it too many times. Hit the shoulder blades or next to the spine and they go down like a ton of bricks. But when they get back up, and they will, they can be a bugger to stop.

Yeah I've done it too, but fortunately I didn't loose any Moose that way. I did loose one Deer I hit too high.

BTW, The only time to wait, is when you know you will have to track him to find him.

I got lucky with the one I spine shot. Very very lucky.
That same year a friend of mine shot and knocked down four Moose and never retrieved even one, despite the help of some very good trackers.
Too bad none of them would go hunting with her.

I hope I don't sound like a know it all but this is very important.
I was told and I have found that any time a Moose goes down like a ton of bricks, EXPECT them to get up and to get up with a will to live like you have never seen.

It's better to be safe then sorry, right? If the shot was good, no loss, but if it hit near the spine or through the shoulder blades, you could save yourself loosing a Moose and at the same time save an animal from suffering.

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope of that Moose ever being found.
If the OP is right about hitting the chest, it won't go far, but if he hit the shoulder blades or near the spine, it could go for days without stopping.

At least that's what I have seen. More then once.

Walleyes
11-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't want to start an argument here guys because all that has been said is correct but I will add that I have personely seen it a number of times a bull hit in the lungs,, go down in its tracks and stay there,, many times. Hit the ground so hard they are still laying on their legs when you get to them,, no the OP did nothing wrong IMHO. The animal was down for the count,, twice.. He's packin big heat with a gun he's shot and trusts,, its just one of those things. I am sure he knows all the shoulda, coulda, woulda. I to shoot till they hit the ground,, but this one did hit the ground,, twice.. They can be one tough animal and at times one weak animal.. Thats what I love about them,, each one is different.

1899b
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Its only just "one of those things" if you don't hit him right. Sorry for your loss....

Ice Fishing Maniac
11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Moose can turn in to iron after the first shot. The only way to keep them down then is a spine or head shot. Sorry about your luck , i have had the same thing happen to me ,i know how you feel

I disagree. Double lung and they are down.

Ice Fishing Maniac
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Sorry for your run of bad luck there. If you tracked and made the attemp to look for the bull, sometimes the blood trail comes to an end and still no moose. I have had this happen...a sick feeling but what do you do.

Only thing comes to mind is no vitals were hit, maybe hit high in hump or just a muscle hit. Once an animal is heated up, they may go forever and put on a few miles.

Sounds like the rifle is bang on.

Anyhow, get back in the saddle and go find another bull. Good Luck.

KegRiver
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I disagree. Double lung and they are down.

let him have it in the boiler room. The moose dropped in his tracks. We watched him on the ground for 4-5 minutes with no movement. All of a sudden he mooved, I gave him another insurance shot in the high back/neck area and we thought it was all over. After another 2-3 minutes the moose stood up

That's six to eight minutes total. Does that really sound like a lung shot to you?

It sure doesn't to me. A 338 hole through the lungs would bleed him out in less then two minutes, nine times out of ten.

Yeah, I agree, hb_hunter did nothing wrong. Or at least nothing most of us haven't done.

But do we learn from our misses or do we stick to our belief that we made a good shot and the Moose was made of Iron?

Hit em right and they die, make a poor shot and they don't. It's as simple as that.

Walleyes
11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
let him have it in the boiler room. The moose dropped in his tracks. We watched him on the ground for 4-5 minutes with no movement. All of a sudden he mooved, I gave him another insurance shot in the high back/neck area and we thought it was all over. After another 2-3 minutes the moose stood up

That's six to eight minutes total. Does that really sound like a lung shot to you?

It sure doesn't to me. A 338 hole through the lungs would bleed him out in less then two minutes, nine times out of ten.

Yeah, I agree, hb_hunter did nothing wrong. Or at least nothing most of us haven't done.

But do we learn from our misses or do we stick to our belief that we made a good shot and the Moose was made of Iron?

Hit em right and they die, make a poor shot and they don't. It's as simple as that.

Yup,, I would have to agree with you on this one Keg..

Jamie Black R/T
11-05-2012, 03:13 PM
classic mistake of shooting top 2/3 on a moose....seen it done many times.

"bad luck" wasnt involved with this moose getting away IMO

Sooner
11-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Potential deflection off a branch maybe. Either way I seen my ex bro inlaw drop a moose like that. When we were 50 feet away it got up and took off. Tracked for the rest of the day never to see it again. Left a pool of blood too. Sometimes all you get is bad luck. I would look some more if you have the time. Let us know if you find him.

elkhunter11
11-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by KegRiver

Very good assessment of the situation.

Lefty-Canuck
11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Just shot a moose yesterday with a 300WBY using 180gr Hornady Interlock bullets.

Shot was broadside 200yards, hit him "in the boiler room". Ran 10yards...shot him again, hit high (spine) he went down and by the time I walked up...rifle had a shell in chamber and safety on....bull was stone dead...3-5 minutes after the shot.

When gutting him the lungs were jello....bled out really well.

Upon skinning him out found the bullet under the offside hide.

if you hit a moose truly with a double lung shot....they will perish.

LC

flyguyd
11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=

Hit em right and they die, make a poor shot and they don't. It's as simple as that.[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify; after a bad shot they have a tendency to turn to iron. with a good shot all thats left is the gutting

Lefty-Canuck
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Let me clarify; after a bad shot they have a tendency to turn to iron. with a good shot all thats left is the gutting

X2.....Thread title is misleading, could read something different. In all seriousness...mistakes happen, learn from it, accept it was likely a poor shot and try to make it count next time.

I shot a mulie on Thursday....was a 350 yard shot. I hit it in the neck.....thing that made me mad even though it was an instant bang flop kill was I wasn't aiming for the neck....:)

LC

Sparx
11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Very good responses by all members in this thread! I agree with most that likely you hit liver, brisket, or high and stunned the animal more than once. It's amazing at times where you "think" your shooting and rather really where you are. Shadows, twigs, grass, so many variables. You and your gun can be the best combination out there but even at 90yds it could take one tiny twig or misjudgement of your shot. Sounds like you hit somewhere fatty and organ related for the blood track to loose out. What happens is they bleed for a bit until the hole fills with fat and organs and plugs the whole from bleeding. Always hard to know what best to do until hindsight, but I've had best luck following up right away on most occasions but one. I like the comments about caliber, I shoot a .338 as well. I know of moose shot high in the shoulder with a .375 to live a week and be shot by another hunter. The wound festered and the animal was a waste. Poor shot with any gun in the wrong place doesn't do much good. So much different in the field and time of place. As mentioned, live and learn, all of our times are due when it comes to situations as such! Took me over a dozen moose until it happend to me, I was in such denial!

hal53
11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
91 yards and he hits the ground???...in 5 mins. I'm pretty sure and old guy like me could have got there, way easier to get him out off a cutline than 200 yards in the bush....and the first time he got up a second killing shot would have been way more closer to him....lesson learnt. Some Moose are wimps, some have unbelievable tenacity.

stickflicker
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Yup sucks when they get up after you've knocked them down...but 5 minutes is a long time. You should have been on his back taking pictures by then!:lol:

pedro96
11-05-2012, 08:27 PM
If he dropped .. Get there ASAP and finish him off..why wait??:thinking-006:

Moosetalker
11-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I agree with the guys close the distance when its down.:fighting0007:

In my experience and swapping tales of moose lost and found with other guides the majority of the ones that do the Bang flop and act dead for 5 min the bullet hit the spinal process the vertical bones projecting upwards from the spine, esp in the hump area. the shock to the spinal chord prob does a good job paralizing all body function.
A liver shot knocks them over fast too but they usually start trying to get up fairly quick.

Had a client hit one about 1' above the spine centered one of those bones at 70 yds {He said he tried for a spine or neck shot on all his animals} as he ran up to his trophy it started kicking and tried to get up he panic'd and shot it in the head right between the antleres guess he figured it was coming at him :scared0018:

hb hunter
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM
91 yards and he hits the ground???...in 5 mins. I'm pretty sure and old guy like me could have got there, way easier to get him out off a cutline than 200 yards in the bush....and the first time he got up a second killing shot would have been way more closer to him....lesson learnt. Some Moose are wimps, some have unbelievable tenacity.

Thanks, I have been hunting for 25 years and this is the second moose to walk away.Shot my first moose 14 years ago. I still trust my ability and with the great trophy room and garage, i have enough evedence. I hunt with a 300 win mag, 300 rem short mag, 338 win mag and if i want a 45-70. I wanted this thred to remind people that moose are un predictable, thats all. No moose today. Its all part of hunting. Thanks for all the replies. PS, picked up a simons range finder at walmart for $65.00 fun toy to cary, never thought of distance before.

Humper
11-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Tough luck for sure. My buddy and his kids lost a moose last month with three shots in it. Followed it for hours and saw big frothy blood patches and lots of gore. Ended up losing the trail and gave up. These guys have shot lots of moose over the years so it can happen to anyone.

Cal
11-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Lots of good info on this thread but I'd like to clarify...

Moose shot in the boiler room the first time go down fast. Moose hit elsewhere and then shot in the boiler room sometimes dont.

The "shoulder hit" theory is pretty well founded based on your description.

The guys who think it couldnt happen to them havent watched enough moose die.

Sounds like there were some very minor "mistakes" made. I only call them "mistakes" because of the outcome, plenty of us have made these very same "mistakes" and never thought twice about it because the outcome was different. All one can do is analyse these "mistakes" and by keeping them in mind next time hopefully make choices that lessen the likelyhood of this happening again, not that the choices made were neccissarily bad given the description. Every moose I have killed, or seen killed has been a little different and there is no one good recipe for doing it right. Some you need to act fast, others you need to give time, sometimes you need to keep shooting and other times you may as well hold your fire and give the moose a minuit to figure out its dead. Usualy if a moose takes three shots that I believe to be good I give him a minuit, might have to keep this in mind next time, thanks.

bighorn1
11-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I used to shoot the 338 wm, had some issue's with it as it has to much horsepower for close shots, lets say anything under 150. i shot a mosse one time at 50 yards 4 times in boiler room and it was still standing. keep in mind these were premium buullets, 210 gr trophy bonded bearclaws. Gave him one in the head and he went down. Once we skinned it out we found that the bullets had to much energy and were complete pass throughs with 0 expansion. there was not a miss is the bunch but the exit would was the same size as the entrance. sometimes to much gun can cause you a headache.

Hornaholic
11-06-2012, 02:02 AM
So just got back from an early November moose hunt that did not go great. On our last am hunt we found a nice little bull moose about a 100 yards down a cut line. The moose could not smell us and we had all the time in the world to make a great shot. I loaded a 185gr hornady superformance GMX in my 338 win mag, found a solid tree to rest on, ranged him at 91 yards and let him have it in the boiler room. The moose dropped in his tracks. We watched him on the ground for 4-5 minutes with no movement. All of a sudden he mooved, I gave him another insurance shot in the high back/neck area and we thought it was all over. After another 2-3 minutes the moose stood up, a gave him another and he piled up about 20 yards in the tree line. We decided to give him some time so we wouldnt jump him but we were 100% it was all over. We waited 1 hour before we decided to walk up and see him. We walked up and he was gone, we sat down for another hour thinking he could not go far. We were wrong, we tracked the moose for the next 2 hours! The blood trail ran out, and my moose was gone. Now if you say you are a moose hunter and retreaved all the moose you ever shot at your extremly lucky. After backing out for a late lunch we went back in the bush, another 2 hours of searching and no moose. I pack an apropreat rifle and gear for moose and have successfully harvested moose in the past. We are going back to the area to look for any sign of birds in the trees in an atempt to find and save what we can. I decided to range 100 yards and take a few shots with my 338, 1.5 inch group, cant be the gun. I did not have moose feaver, i was calm. Just one of thows things.

Just for the record, if you shot him with a 338 in the boiler room ( with a 1.5" group ) your moose would be dead!!! real dead ( even if it was a 243) people miss or make bad shots - we have all done it!! dont beat yourself up to bad !! lol